Another 4Motus Überbike build

Chuleo

10 mW
After seeing the other 4motus build I instantly fell in love with the look of this bike. So a friend of mine an me ordered two frames,
uncoated to do as much as possible ourselves.

Of course we ran in a lot of trobles but learned a lot while building our bikes... its still unfinished yet but if all goes well
it'll be finished in about a month or two..

Here are some pictures:

Btw. for German speakers or those who want to see more pictures see: http://www.madengineer.ch/

20140721_185922.jpg

20140721_185906.jpg

20140721_181851.jpg

20140721_225447.jpg

20140722_094532.jpg

20140722_195311.jpg

20140803_145949.jpg

20140803_153122.jpg

20140803_203849.jpg

20140803_130601.jpg

This will be the main switch
hauptschalter1.jpg

Our headset mounting tool xD
20140806_210046.jpg

20140806_221027.jpg

so far so good.. I will keep you on track about our build if anybody is interested..
Next week our battery and bms should arrive.. some of you might be interested in that... the battery box is supposed to hold a 12p22s 18650 battery pack.

cheers
Chuleo

I will weigh the battery compartment next time.

The frame&swing arm are 7.4kg
@Emoto, you have also a very nice build! And I also owned a Husky SM610, but I sold it few weeks ago :cry:

I just received the battery. 46 packs each containing 12parallel LG ICR18650HE2. arleady spot welded and equipped with a short cable/heat shrink wrap and paper guard
We will fit 22s12p in it. Controller can stand 100max, but the voltage shouldnt go over 95v... so 22s is perfect.

That means, when fully charged it has 92.4V and 30AH (that should drop to 27AH after 50 cycles and then stay constant for a while)

I dont relly know why they put the 4s3p label on it... maybe due to shipping restrictions. It is a 1s12p configuration
20140811_151920.jpg

20140811_152135.jpg

20140811_152206.jpg

there's still plenty of space in it... perfect to fit the bms&controller
20140811_153147.jpg

Ans here's the main switch. I know its quite badly soldered :p
20140811_195430.jpg

And put in a box and filled with black PU resin
20140811_200753.jpg

That was it for today... it could take some time until the next update

Chuleo said:
I will weigh the battery compartment next time.

The frame&swing arm are 7.4kg
@Emoto, you have also a very nice build! And I also owned a Husky SM610, but I sold it few weeks ago :cry:
Chuleo thank you.
Funny i got rid of this zx10r to get the sm610.Image0111 - Copy.jpg. but with electric having the bike in the house [ no oil / petrol ] is cool.
Looks like were on the same journey now :D . the battery compartment is 3mm aluminum ?
And what painting process did you use . ow and looking very nice/uber.

Yes the battery compartment is 3mm aluminium.

The painting process was just normal powder coating. But we couldn't do the full pre powder coating treatment due to the lack of equipment.
We did it this way: The stainless steel frame/steel swing arm was cleaned with a brush and the surface roughened with sanding paper (improves the adhesion of the powder coating)
then cleaned with acetone. The first layer was an anti corrosion primer, which was only needed for the steel swing arm,
but we put it on everything to avoid color/texture differences between the frame and swing arm.

Then we put it in the oven for 20min @ 180deg Celsius. After curing and letting it cool down, we applied another layer.
This time it was a mixture of anthracite gray and pearl glitter white with a quite rough and matte surface. Then again curing (15min@180 deg C) and letting cool down.
The last layer is a clear shiny coating.

My battery box (malbec/violet) also got a three layer coating. First the primer, then illusion malbec and rockstar sparkle jr as a top coat. (the latter two powders are from Prismatic Powders)

Powder coating is extremely wear resistant (if taken the right powder) and easy to do. We only used outdoor grade polyester/polyurethane powders.

great to see another 4motus.
what forks have you got on there?
im currently trying to get some moto forks for a 4motus build, not sure what type will fit. i guess it has to do with the bearing dia on the steerer.(?)
default will be to just use some boxxers or something.

The Forks are DNM USD-8. They are quite heavy and very stable... An adapter IS2000 to Postmount is also provided (for 203mm Discs)

The steering tube is designed to fit a standard 1-1/8" headset (i chose a semi intergrated one)
As far as i know moto forks have a bigger diameter...but its the best if you ask linukas directly.

I had a problem fitting the headset: The steering tube was not round (probably due to the welding) and it was very hard to install the headset...

To keep you interested... old bike vs. new bike... the old bike is ca. 15kg lighter but the new one is built like a tank... even though I couldn't have a ride yet I already love it.
20140905_232221.jpg

And the design.... its beautiful isn't it?
20140905_205959.jpg

With battery but without battery protection, dcdc converter etc...
20140907_203842.jpg

Looks like the seat is really far forward compared to the bottom bracket. It also looks like the frame is a medium as far as seat tube to head tube. Could you post measurements for us.

I realy like this frame but yeah, seat is in the wrong place. It will be really awkward to have the feet on the pedals not to mention pedaling.

Hello I find it to be a beautiful bike.
But seen the same thing..
The first frame has the seat post angle different ..the seat post becomes farther back.
It seems that the rear shock is a little longer to.
I do not disapprove of this bike, but that's what I see
I am very curious about any updates.

Yes you're right.. it doesn't feel natural riding the bike. I'll see if I get used to it without problems... otherwise i will install a cranked seatpost and a shorter rear shock (200 or 220 instead of 240mm). That should make the geometry a little bit better.

Chuleo I see now that the black bike(new frame type) has a cranked seatpost.

Greetz Frank

I do... because with foot pegs i wouldn't get a license plate :mrgreen: But still... pedalling is only cosmetic or in case the motor dies or for very slow speeds.
It also seems with the seat set all the way to the back and a little bit higher it doesn't feel that unnatural anymore... with a cranked seat post it will be ok I guess.

If you need any help with anything give me a shout, as I have this frame too and had to solve a few problems on the way.

By the way, what are you doing with the chain ?, I fitted a derailer on mine, as the tensioners are rubbish and dont keep the chain tight for more than 5 mins, the derailer works perfectly though.

Thats mine before I sorted the battery box door out, I didnt like the bolts it comes with as its a pain to close so made some of my own fixings inside the box instead.

bike1.jpgView attachment 1bike3.jpg

hey chuleo

hows the bike handling?

im keen to hear how it rides.(assuming its already ride-able)

not sure to go for this frame or the vector frame.
any feedback much appreciated

-cheers
RTL

Sorry I can't tell right now....I somehow fried the controller and need a new one :cry: So it's not rideable yet, at least not with the motor. Since the Chinese have holidays from 2nd to 10th October,
I won't be getting a new controller the next days.

Nevertheless I've got an update on my website http://www.madengineer.ch regarding the unlocking mechanism for the bike.
I hooked the throttle to an arduino, which, if the rfid tag is detected, unlocks the bike to full power mode. I made it fairly simple:
(Pseudo DAC) The arduino maps the analog throttle value to a pwm. Then the arduino pwm frequency is set to ~62kHz and filtered with an RC filter
resulting in a clean analog signal. The input value has to be divided by 4 because the ADC has a resolution of 10Bits and the PWM output has only a resolution of 8Bits.

Code:
throttle_val=analogRead(throttle_pin); 
        if(unlocked==0){                        
          if(throttle_val/4<=maxpower){
          analogWrite(out_pin,throttle_val/4);
          }
          else{
          analogWrite(out_pin,maxpower);  
          }
        }
        else{
          analogWrite(out_pin,throttle_val/4);
        }

I'm probably going to change the code slightly so the bike can't be used with the motor unless the right rfid tag is detected. Then there's the secret tag which can be used to get the full power out of the bike. Once I get
the new controller, I'll give an update descibing how exactly it is done.

Back