Rod's Raptor 140 Build

Rodney64

100 kW
Hello everyone and welcome to my Raptor 140 build thread.

After listening to everyone's comments I've decided to start a separate build thread. This forum has been an inspiration to me and without it I would never have had the confidence to attempt my first build. This is my third and as Hyena alerted to probably not my last as I get satisfaction not only in riding them but enjoy the build equally as much. My wife's just informed me if its not my last then there will be a divorce.

Please feel free to comment and ask questions. I'm planning on documenting each stage until complete and plan on documenting the highs and lows on what's worked and what not.

Today I pressed in the headset.

I used a press but the other option is to use a threaded Rodd with large washers. The headset that I decided to use is a Nuekproof Warhead 44IESS 1 1/8".

Rodney64 said:
My wife's just informed me if its not my last then there will be a divorce.
We should get your wife and my wife together some time, it sounds like they'd cancel each other out and solve both our problems :lol:

How did you find fitting the headset ?
I found mine went in quite easily. Not press in with your thumbs easily but with much less bashing* than other headsets I've fitted in the past, which was nice.

* I use the hammer and block of wood method. I tried a threaded rod and washers but it seemed to keep pulling off centre and in the end it was easily to just whack them in.

Your raptor 140 and mine are brothers with yours also having the red sticker kit and same DNM forks so it'll be interesting to see the variations from here out and how they compare afterwards :)

Hyena said:
Rodney64 said:
My wife's just informed me if its not my last then there will be a divorce.
We should get your wife and my wife together some time, it sounds like they'd cancel each other out and solve both our problems :lol:

How did you find fitting the headset ?
I found mine went in quite easily. Not press in with your thumbs easily but with much less bashing* than other headsets I've fitted in the past, which was nice.

* I use the hammer and block of wood method. I tried a threaded rod and washers but it seemed to keep pulling off centre and in the end it was easily to just whack them in.

Your raptor 140 and mine are brothers with yours also having the red sticker kit and same DNM forks so it'll be interesting to see the variations from here out and how they compare afterwards :)

My headset needed some persuasion.

Before I fitted the bracket for the shock mount I made sure that I had washers on both sides of the bolt. The nut is a unlock.

Now the bolt for the seat bracket screws into a thread so I have used a medium strength Loctite.

I decided to use a Crank brothers seat tube. It looks good and has plenty of adjustment.

The plan was to use components from a previous build. This shock is one example of parts from a previous build. Well that's what I told my wife until she looked under the spare bed.

That's it for tonight.

Looks excellent.

My only reservation with one of these is how well does it pass as a "bicycle"?
The dimensions of the battery compartment are very appealing.what do you have planned for that Rod?

Also, any odd bits going internal? Dc-dc , ca-v3, controller, BMS or cell monitors.

pendragon8000 said:
Looks excellent.

My only reservation with one of these is how well does it pass as a "bicycle"?
The dimensions of the battery compartment are very appealing.what do you have planned for that Rod?

Also, any odd bits going internal? Dc-dc , ca-v3, controller, BMS or cell monitors.

Ken, thanks for you reply. No it will not pass as a bicycle. But I do have other bikes that do. I'm not worried about the bicycle bit but I am quite comfortable that it will as I do have a CA3 and I do intend to use it to commute during our summer. Most of my commute is on back roads apart from a small section which can be bypassed though Whiteman park.

At this stage I will use my 24S 15 amp hour pack made by Doctor Chris Jones. It still performing well and balancing even after 2 years. Ill bulk charge using my elcon and I am planning on running a 24 fet controller and at this stage mounted on the outside of the frame. At this stage im not use a BMS but do have lipo monitors connected when I charge.
In the future I'm planning on a purchasing a 88 volt 25 amp hour pack using 25R cells. At this stage im not use a BMS but do have lipo monitors connected when I charge.

Subscribed Rodney, looking good so far, yah those head bearing cups can be a pain in the ass that's for sure.

Rodney64 said:
Rix said:
Subscribed Rodney, looking good so far, yah those head bearing cups can be a pain in the ass that's for sure.
Perhaps I should have put some grease on first??

Yah, I thought that was a given. If you pressed that with out grease, they are stuck pretty good. Also, should have told you to put the bearing cups in the freezer for a bit, and used a hair drier to warm up the head tube. Would have went right in with a dab of grease smeared around the inside of the tube. Oh well, if its in, don't worry about it now.

Rix said:
Rodney64 said:
Rix said:
Perhaps I should have put some grease on first??

Yah, I thought that was a given. If you pressed that with out grease, they are stuck pretty good. Also, should have told you to put the bearing cups in the freezer for a bit, and used a hair drier to warm up the head tube. Would have went right in with a dab of grease smeared around the inside of the tube. Oh well, if its in, don't worry about it now.

Rick and that's what this is all about. if others can get some learning out of this then that's what this thread is all about.

Rick and that's what this is all about. if others can get some learning out of this then that's what this thread is all about

True that Rod. Everything is looking great. Just like watching your Phasor build, all over again with a Raptor. The Phasor was over 2 years ago where does the time go?

You will only miss her till the bike is done.....just kidding Mrs. Rod!

Another Kewl bike....lucky dog!

Tom

Setting up to fit the fork.

The headset pull into the fork after I fitted the handlebars.

At the start I didn't fit the head set cover. Just a tatter if tapping in the fitting into the fork tube.

Photo of the handlebars on without the nukeproof cover.

Finished fitting the handle bars.

First shot of a Raptor with a 17 inch front and back. I'm not sure if to run with the 4080 or a 4065 in the 17 inch set up. Current thought is to go with the 4065 in the 17.

Subscribed

Love thus build. Between you and Jay, I'm even more convinced that I need to purchase a Raptor frame and start a build myself.

It looks awesome! Keep it up!

SamM

Dang Rod, that looks sweet with the 17s. You should try some 3.00-SR241s on the front and rear. It would be the best of all worlds in terms of street, offroad, and sand riding.

Rix said:
Dang Rod, that looks sweet with the 17s. You should try some 3.00-SR241s on the front and rear. It would be the best of all worlds in terms of street, offroad, and sand riding.

Yes Dark Knight has a couple for me. I just need to pick them up. I might run the 4080 in the 17 set up with the drill side covers. Now I,m about to install the bottom bracket and crank. Not sure though how to install it so will read up online. This is my first. No instruction in the box.

Are you running 24s? I think you will be okay with a 4080 on 24s because of the smaller diameter 17s with some venting. I am running 14s with an SR241 2.75-18, it takes a bit to heat up and cause the thermo roll back to do its thing.

Back