Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

litespeed said:
I know some have used the Fastace rear (scooter) shocks but know nothing about their forks. Of course RST isn't top of the line either so I'm wondering if this is a crap shoot? Should I let a flip of the coin decide for me? Any positives one way or another out there?

Tom
I am guessing the RST will be more maintenance free and easier to service. The inverted Fast-ace may be more likely to develop problems like blown seals and oil leaks due to the usd design but maybe smoother/plusher in use. , but agaiin, this is just guessing. I'd probably take a punt at the Fastace.

Here is another site with some detailed pictures :D
https://evnerds.com/electric-vehicles/e-motorcycle-news/killer-electric-dirt-bike-sur-ron/

bionicon said:
Here is another site with some detailed pictures :D
https://evnerds.com/electric-vehicles/e-motorcycle-news/killer-electric-dirt-bike-sur-ron/

Seems to be written by people who have had their hands on a prototype. I wonder? Great find.

brumbrum said:
litespeed said:
I know some have used the Fastace rear (scooter) shocks but know nothing about their forks. Of course RST isn't top of the line either so I'm wondering if this is a crap shoot? Should I let a flip of the coin decide for me? Any positives one way or another out there?

Tom
I am guessing the RST will be more maintenance free and easier to service. The inverted Fast-ace may be more likely to develop problems like blown seals and oil leaks due to the usd design but maybe smoother/plusher in use. , but agaiin, this is just guessing. I'd probably take a punt at the Fastace.

Having a hard time finding any recent info on the Fastace forks. Some say they were nice on pit bikes but all I can find is 12 lb forks which seam really heavy for a 50 kilo bike.....I must be looking in all the wrong places. RST does have good reviews on their recent offerings.

Tom

My 2 Cents...
I've been a couple of times to the FastAce factory in Taiwan ( last time 4 years ago), they machine nice parts but no test track or suspension Dyno *
We developed our own internal parts but that was for a Off-road Motorcycle. I would suggest you choose the RST as that is a bicycle DH Fork, that is Lightweight, IMO the FastAce will be to heavy.
Hopefully Sur-Ron asked to get the stiffest springs RST can supply as 50kg is way more than any DH Bicycle.

* However I'm pretty anal when it comes to suspension as I have worked with MotoCross Racing suspension, "regular Joe" most of the times don't care for correct performance

I'm ordering one and also wonder what fork to choose. Likely go with the RST as the weight will be better.

I wonder who runs the EVnerd website. Nice to see some actual English specs with a nice review. Does look like they got a chance to see and ride the bike. The bike seems like a great value at $3k shipped, but still you are putting money down on an unknown product with questionable support and warranty. I question whether my ebike obsession is because of the riding or the building. I spend more time building than riding lately and having a plug and play bike that's prebuilt might take some of that fun away. Although its a Chinese product and might need to be wrenched more than it should.

Thank you for sharing all this info, as always endless is the best source.
Here is the shipping size 1650mm X 850mm X 310mm & gross weight 55kg if you want to make shipping with your own shipping agent.
And "can choose between RST or Fastace with no additional cost" :)
Max battery for the moment - 60V32AH, maybe that will be the weak spot - half hour use if bike is pushed hard?
Confirm quotation:
Sample: USD2000.00/pc EXWORKS
Small orders less than 1X20” GP container: USD1900.00/pc FOB Chongqing, China
1 x 20” GP container: USD1850.00/pc FOB Chongqing, China
1 x 40” HC container: USD1800.00/pc FOB Chongqing, China
Remarks: All above quoted prices are for the 48V version with 5Ah charger. And all above quoted prices do not include the freight.
For 60V version, the price is USD350.00/pc higher
For 10Ah charger, the price is USD55.00/pc higher.
I resumed here some of the info about Firefly - https://ibikes.wordpress.com/2017/09/04/it-2017/
PS. LunaCycle made sample order.

Is it better to use your own shipping agent? I'm quoted $750 to ship to the US. Any better way to do this? I'd love to order 20 bikes shipped by sea, but don't have the means or know how. Dealing with customs and such can be a PITA. It is about as cheap for me to fly to China and pick it up myself and if the bike is crap, pass on the whole deal. Paying almost a third of the total cost just to have the bike shipped here is a waste!

dirkdiggler said:
Is it better to use your own shipping agent? I'm quoted $750 to ship to the US. Any better way to do this? I'd love to order 20 bikes shipped by sea, but don't have the means or know how. Dealing with customs and such can be a PITA. It is about as cheap for me to fly to China and pick it up myself and if the bike is crap, pass on the whole deal. Paying almost a third of the total cost just to have the bike shipped here is a waste!

I meant a shipping agent from China. I import lithium batteries from China and I can tell you that some Chinese shipping agents have their ways to .. sneak into UE .. i refer to big 20% Eu VAT ..
And yes, shipping can be done at lower cost by sea, we imported this cargo trike by sea, bigger / heavier. I am located in Romania / Europe.

Attachments

• cargo trike.jpg
    cargo trike.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 7,379
I've never been hit by customs in the US, except something shipped from Canada oddly. I end up buying tons of crap from aliexpress and Banggood without issue. I'm just wondering if I can use a shipping agent in China to save money on the quoted shipping cost from the company. I imagine Sur-ron takes a cut of the cost also. Anybody that you would recommend? I'd love to do the sea freight, but then I need to ship from the port and will likely get hit with import tax.

Hi Guys, It seems like ordering through taobaofocus has 10% commision added to deposit price.

Still haven't received pictures of the completed bikes. Hope to get an email soon.
Here's another article with some pictures.
http://www.newmotor.com.cn/html/epc/83318_2.html#
3Z7A4114.JPG

3Z7A4187.JPG

I dream to make a version with my hacker motor :D I hope they will sell in the future the frame only :lol:

bionicon said:
I dream to make a version with my hacker motor :D I hope they will sell in the future the frame only :lol:
At that price, if all you want is a different motor, you can buy the full bike and put a different one on it, and sell the original one on ebay :)

scrambler said:
At that price, if all you want is a different motor, you can buy the full bike and put a different one on it, and sell the original one on ebay :)

For me having some experience with the hpm5000b I feel that a lighter hpm3000b is pretty attractive. Add onto that that the seemingly custom controller (golden motors weak point) is pretty attractive. So as long as we're talking modifying the frame I would go in the direction of getting some sort of pedal system on there to appeal to the higher power ebike laws in some regions. Some places have really loose straight moped laws that make an around 2k electric moped pretty darn alluring.

I'm thinking a bolt on bottom bracket that somehow drives to a freewheel on the jackshaft.

gestalt said:
I would go in the direction of getting some sort of pedal system on there to appeal to the higher power ebike laws in some regions.

I agree that if they were to make a pedal assist version, they would have a killer product with a wider audience.
Right now the only high power mid drive pedal assist bike is the Neematic, and that will cost you $10,000, when it arrives...
I did send them a mail suggesting it, and may be if enough people make the same suggestion they would look into it :)

But looking at how integrated the motor is inside the frame of the Firefly, it does not look like it would be easy to add a bottom bracket and a chain ring to the sprocket that drive the motor chain.

I guess we will have to wait to have more close up pictures of the whole system to know if that would be remotely possible.

Yup, thats a bit of me as well. I like the black lines all over the floor in the photos :D
I have one on order, plan on riding the crap out of it and then ripping it apart and changing some things. Motor/controller seems noisy in some of the video's

Got some pictures. The factory look top notch. They are really serious about this production!
Good loking bikes and girls :)

Attachments

• IMG_20170920_152554.jpg
    IMG_20170920_152554.jpg
    384.2 KB · Views: 6,927
  • IMG_20170920_152627.jpg
    IMG_20170920_152627.jpg
    365.8 KB · Views: 6,927
  • IMG_20170920_152658.jpg
    IMG_20170920_152658.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 6,927
  • IMG_20170920_201106.jpg