Kuberg Freerider Extended Swingarm Project

I agree that does look nicer but I am too long/tall and that wouldn't feel right to ride. I may try a shorter stem for now, but I am also waiting on some 1-1/8" spacers too since I need the bars pretty high, but i'm not keeping them at the very top unless I build a taller seat since they are too high at the moment with this geometry and will cause hand numbness

So I followed the manual instructions and programed the phase angle like it says below, and the program got the motor spinning on its own in reverse. Then I clicked the change direction button in the menu and its spinning properly just like it was before when I did it old school. But now I know how to do it without wasting my time with wiring!
IMG_1306.PNG
Does anyone on this lovely forum know how to program the new sine wave controllers? Here are a few shots of the setup that is way different than before.

The problem I am having is with the throttle control which I assume is in the control portion of the menu, I've tried messing around with some of the values but I cannot get the motor to act smooth like on the KLX after programming...The issue is while your coasting and let off the throttle it pulls you back and has resistance and bucks like a regen is kicking on and makes the chain slap everytime you let off the gas, and then you must power thru this by giving more throttle until the motor increases your speed. It feels really bad for the drive train and scary.

IMG_1308.JPG
IMG_1307.JPG

I didn't see it in your post but are you running the throttle through a CA? I had the exact same problem on a KLS7240S but smoothed it out now... the KLS is buttery smooth.

No i do not use a CA but im going to try a new throttle i think because my other kls with the bht and different throttle is super smooth also

I'm no expert by any means on these Kelly's but one other setting I had to move to zero was the "TPS low". Any value I had other than zero made response a bit off at the low end. Just something else to think of.

Thanks for any input. Yes the tps low is set to zero you can see in the pics above.

I thought i knew kelly until this!

I moved the chain tensioner to the inside of the frame bracket and it is working much better now. I am going to attempt to ride today with my GF so we will see if anything breaks! Wish us luck!

The ride went really well! Other than not having rear brakes which i hate, and the controller programming issue which i have a short video of ill post soon. Bike rides really good i lowered front bars like 1" still waiting on my big spacers. Chain tensioner is working really good now. We used about 70% of that batteries and went about 10 miles thru leominster state forrest. I lost a piece of foam when going about 40mph for a short burst, It was supporting my batteries but no big deal.

The seat and foot pegs are awful and i found myself in a endless cycle of trying to be comfortable...i wil be trying some solutions soon im sure.

Pics to come

Crammed both bikes in my short bed :) couples scratches never hurt nobody
IMG_1317.JPG
Leominster state park has tons of really nice trails, but since this was my first time ever bringing my ebikes to a "regular bike" area. We stuck to the one main central trail and went nice and slow, the genesis was running at 36v 20a and it had plenty of power to climb up the large hills with my GF on it...If it was my big ars I would have need 48v 30amps :)
IMG_1319.JPG
This vehicle to my right was a regular biker and he wanted nothing to do with us...since the Freerider is obviously illegal to ride on most trails I will more than likely be building another girls genesis for her so we both have pedals atleast
IMG_1320.JPG
I forced her to smile for this picture...jk jk
IMG_1321.JPG
Kept losing the piece of foam between my battery and controller, will have to address this
IMG_1326.JPG
Me soaking my feet since these kuberg pegs are tiny and uncomfortable...or because it was beautiful outside
IMG_1330.JPG
Shot at the end of the ride, once we have it back from a 10 mile trip I started to abuse the bike a bit more to drain the battery and also test its limit a bit. I still need rear brakes so I don't drive too crazy until I get some!
IMG_1333.JPG
IMG_1334.JPG

Nice work mate! What sort of top speed are you getting with that gearing?

You'll always have sore feet unless your using moto boots with the pegs, theyre too small if the shoe isnt rigid.
On my Oset i swapped the pegs for pedals, just welded on some threaded lugs and now i can stand on them all day, plus in tricky stuff you can lean on things instead of taking a dab.

Yes i will attempt video soon. Bzh from LMX bikes sort of steered me against using pedals since they do not fold and can be slightly dangerous at times in tight trails and when the bike is dropped on its side. That was my original plan though. I might try and weld some wider atv pegs to these ones and make them longer first.

Top speed is a little over 40mph i would guess, i dont think i got that fast on this last ride

Vid of my bro welding

Last edited:
What's with YT videos not working here anymore? Is this getting fixed or what?

Anyway here is a short clip of me talking about the bike and a few seconds of riding with 1 hand

Last edited:
Here is a short video of the chain bucking problem I am having due to some programming issue I have yet to solve. any info would be greatly appreciated. Its almost like the motor stops too quick after throttle is released...

and yes the motor is quiet under minimal load, but when you accelerate quick this 420 cart chain is actually pretty loud! the sound would be much less if I used 1/2" pitch chain

but I kind of like it!

Last edited:
Had a chance to get the bike out for a quick test ride/beating to see how things are going. I had plans to let my girlfriend ride it but once she saw what it can do and how tall it is she said "No way!" So instead she filmed me :)

I look pretty big on it but it feels pretty comfortable, I think once the seat is changed and pegs are lowered a bit it will be really comfortable. It is pretty tall me being 6' 3" at one point in the trail while trying to turn around I almost tipped over since I didn't think I was up that high

Last edited:
Went out for a hell ride this weekend to try and break something, and I got the controller to blink an error code. Seems to be a pretty common one but I'm not sure if it was from battery sag or motor issues? I ended up climbing the two tallest hills around on this bike like nothing. I got bad Gopro footage but it doesn't do it justice.
[youtube]mAgwYfPfANo[/youtube]

IMG_1388.PNG

Ive tried changing every setting on this piece of crap KLS controller and I cannot get this motor to work properly. I changed the throttle today too just to make sure that wasn't the issue...

It is getting very annoying and I honestly wish I bought the old non sine wave version

I may end up getting it still

It was written many times that those motors do not work with kls due to very rought hall sensors signals. Get the 80A continuous kbs-ax if you want to push some serious amps. They even have one up to 260A peak.

Adam

Finally you chime in. I had a feeling i was going to need another controller, what a shame.

Do your motors work on the kls? Or do you run old controllers?

Thx man

It's not "old" controllers, actually the new version of the KBS-X is the KBS-AX (different user soft and BT compatible)
We tried the 55A KLS and never got it to work (that was 2 years ago)
Many of our customers had issues too with KLS and adappto controllers.

Adam

I dont see a AX version on the website i see the controllers ending in X and the bigger ones ending in E

Can you possibly send a link if your not too busy?

I am just going to use my old KBS 55amp controller for now since I know it works with this motor way better. This 80A controller killed my Multi-star batteries way too quick anyways

I will worry about more power a little later after I work out all the kinks and get the system running stable. My controller was holding my batteries in place so I will now have to weld some sort of battery/controller mount to the frame because of this mess.

So I decided to get a little crazy and destroy the stock tiny seat to adapt a larger one to my bigger butt. It doesn't look the coolest anymore but it is way more comfortable! Lets see how long it lasts

IMG_1423.JPG
IMG_1424.JPG
IMG_1425.JPG
IMG_1429.JPG
IMG_1430.JPG
IMG_1431.JPG
IMG_1432.JPG
IMG_1433.JPG
IMG_1434.JPG
IMG_1435.JPG
IMG_1436.JPG
IMG_1437.JPG
IMG_1438.JPG
Went back to the old controller
IMG_1439.JPG

Just got out on the street to test the bike out a bit with the changes...The 55a controller is working, but now I think I have a throttle hesitation which im pretty sure my settings are correct already. The power is good but the 80a was more "crazy fun" its still plenty of power for now but not for good! But the motor is now working properly unlike with the KLS model controller which was causing all sorts of signal/timing issues that were pretty dangerous

I did get my rear hyrdro disc brakes in the mail and I cannot wait to get a bracket welded in place to mount them! I really hate trying to ride like a hooligan without rear brakes
IMG_1471.JPG

Back