I don't see the connection but I'm a bit slow today
I'm not sure about "coring out" a rather flimsy plastic moulding..........
I'll probably have to draw up a sketch. Google Sketchup sucks for almost anything that requires actually lining stuff up in it, so I am going to go back to my Lightwave3D to do it--takes longer but at least it works exactly like I tell it to. (I could rant for pages about Gurgle Scatsup's issues but I think it would be pointless.)
This might not work at all, due either to materials or concept, but:
Basically, imagine a big pipe, the kind that's intended to bolt to another one end to end. So you have a ring of bolt holes on a flange, and a cylindrical ring that is attached to the inner circumference of that. Imagine that with the flange bolted to the rotor's flat side, and the cylinder fitting just inside the minimum remaining amount of stator material, with bearings between them to support the rotor in rotation/etc.
It would be better to use an inrunner, but I don't know of one that's big enough to surround a planet carrier that surrounds another outrunner that itself is big enough to surround a shaft and bearings, all of which could be found for little to no cost (with just the labor of rewinding them to whatever necessary speed/torque). The F&P happens to be quite large inside the stator, and could fit a number of different outrunners inside it.
At least, as far as I can judge from pictures I've seen, primarily from the F&P Motors thread.
It might end up necessary to build an entire double-cylinder with flat endplate flange connecting them, to entirely replace the F&P rotor, but I'd rather not go there if it's not absolutely necessary.
It'll be hard enough finding the right piece to make the inner cylinder/flange from, much less one that happens to be exactly the right diameter to allow the magnets to ride exactly where they did in the plastic one.
Then there also has to be connecting structure between the stators of both motors, in such a way as to not interfere with their rotors or the planet carrier or output shaft.
I'm absolutely sure it would be better to design this from scratch and build it from purpose-made parts...but that would probably be less of a challenge to make it work, and very few people could actually build one that way.
If there is a way to make it from recycled parts, then it might be possible for a lot more people to build one of their own, if they are of a mind to. Can you imagine Naeem's bike (or my CrazyBike2) using this instead of all the vulnerable chain and sprockets? Neither of us would have problems shifting anymore, or the kinds of chain issues that come up from using unenclosed chains in environments that are virtually guaranteed to destroy them eventually, if not quickly.
Not for this project, but I *have* looked at finding ways to melt down and reuse the nylon zipties, since all the ones I can find made in the last 15+ years have been garbage that break when I actually tighten them down, or they rot apart with a week of riding in the sun (sometimes longer if they're not white/clear). That's a lot of nylon, and I could use the stuff to mold into discs to make standoffs, chain guides, or bushings with.
Maybe it wouldn't disintegrate if it were in thicker chunks.
Pennies wouldn't work too well since they're mostly zinc with maybe a plating of copper, unless I found enough older ones, and I'd probably rather use pizza pans rather than pie pans because some pizza pans are actually pretty thick and stiff.
Or saucepans since they can be nice thick aluminum and very stiff. Unless I make a foundry for recasting the pie pans into stuff, like Thud and FrankG do (though I actually have a pile of harddisk casings saved for this purpose once I have the time and the money to spend on the furnace part).
Though really the sun motor would be made from a cieling fan.
And the independent throttles is something like what I would do, although I figured a stereo balance pot out of an old audio amplifier for a single throttle control would be better. Then it would have a center position to use for 1:1, and then as I turn it to one side or the other it would run one motor faster and the other slower. There are probably better ways to do it but this is fairly simple in execution, uses a recycled part, and ought to work.
Of course, each controller's throttle input would need to be calibrated for the motor it is running so that at center throttle each spins at the RPM needed to maintain zero output on the shaft.
I'm just teasing you of course Amberwolf
. I admire your resourcefulness and spirit, and respect your willingness to jump-in and try things, and very impressed that you've made effective transportation for yourself while having minimal environmental and financial impact. Much respect for you and your methods Amberwolf.
Oh, I know you're
There are those that aren't teasing but they usually say things differently (sometimes it's hard to tell but in print I can usually tell. In person my AS generally makes it very very hard to tell unless I know someone well, and even then...).
As to the "effective transportation", well, that's only when I don't break bits off of it from stupid ideas or poor construction methods, or my apparent geometry-perception problem that seems to make it impossible for me to make straight lines and square lineups, even using the proper tools to measure such things.
You know, "measure twice, cut fourteen times".