ChopperMan's MKII

ChopperMan

10 W
Hi All,

My first chooper was all my own work. Which proved to me that I am crap at welding. So I called in a favour, exchanged a few professional services and managed to enlist a local engineering company to my cause. To be honest it didn't take much after they all had a ride on my first bike :D EV Grin's all round.

They convinced me, it didn't take much, that people would buy the finished bikes, so they have looked at my little project from a future production model prospective. Therefore, they chose to use available tooling, 25mm pipe bender and simple techniques to build up the frame in a rather organic way. No plans, just my free hand sketch and some basic steering (rake and trail) rules. Then try and see what each component looks like when positioned in relation to the wheels and forks. If it's good, keep it, if not, try again.

The drive train is a Puma, 35A C'lyte controller, CycleAnaylist and 36V 20Ah LiFePO4 from China (To be replaced by LiFeBATT when production allows).

Here are a few early picks.

Attachments

• 01-09-07_1110.jpg
    01-09-07_1110.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 6,065
  • DSC03330 copy.jpg
    DSC03330 copy.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 6,064
hey mate,

looking good - i would love to have a custom frame built, you'll have to let me know costs etc when it's done, unfortunately i dont have any skills like safe et al to build but thats looking mighty nice.
keep us up to date Ian :)

cheers

D

love that rear rim and tyre combo - its PHAT!!!

looks like a motorcycle rim...

hmmm...

looks over to the other thread i just replied to.. HMM... (running that rim in a small 125cc motorcycle frame)

02604.JPG

It looks like the 24" x 3" Kenda Flame tire.

(same size that I use... I like the feel of these tires and you can go fast on them)

The rim looks oversized, which means it cost $$$.

safe said:
02604.JPG

It looks like the 24" x 3" Kenda Flame tire.

(same size that I use... I like the feel of these tires and you can go fast on them)

The rim looks oversized, which means it cost $$$.

Hi Safe,

Yes that is a Kenda flame, but not a girly 24", this is man size 26" sitting on a chrome 47mm wide double walled rim, that cost approx $60, £30. :D

The front is a normal 2.125 MTB tyre and have ordered a 26 X 2.125 Kenda Flame for the front, but it's been on back order for a month.

Never mind, I've another 26 X 3 siting in my shed, so it may end up with "Fatty's" at both ends!

One problem with these tyres, the wheel diameter is now 28.5" and if I fit it on the front as well, the space is so tight I'll have to mount the wheel and then inflate the tyre to clear the superfluous rim brake mounts. Not really difficult, just a pain in the arse. I could cut them off, but it will be difficult to do so without making it look crap.

Cheers,

Ian

Ypedal said:
Sweet !!!

I need to find a local frame builder.. it's not that hard to weld up a frame once you have a jig built etc.. Just a tad expensive to start up..

26" rear wheel will cut into the " torque " feel a bit.. but will give good top speed ! :wink:

Yeah your absolutely right Y, I could not to have this engineering company involved, if one of my companies wasn't building their website. But, when the design is finalised and tested, it will be high quality frame at a resonable cost.

I have my worries about the torque. But as I am only used to a 250 watt motor, it's going to feel powerful and there are plenty of hills to test on around here.

Cheers,

Ian

Thats a BMC or Puma Motor you have? It should be fine for torque. Its pretty hard to slow a Puma to a halt up a hill, the steeper it gets the morte the puma fights :lol:

Jozzer said:
Thats a BMC or Puma Motor you have? It should be fine for torque. Its pretty hard to slow a Puma to a halt up a hill, the steeper it gets the morte the puma fights :lol:

Hi Jozzer,

Yes it's a Puma. And, I can confirm that it has plenty of torque, NO BRAKES test ride last weekend was scary :evil:

But I'm getting ahead of myself. I'll post some more shots of the build later tonight hopefully.

Ian

:lol: Sorry dude, but the guys working on my workshop had a big laugh when I got off the phone and told them about your brakeless flight.

Looking forward to more photos Ian. What wall thickness is the frame tube you used. Is it just mild steel? I've been nearly tempted to buy a tube bending rig a couple of times to do something like this myself, but if I buy any more tools there won't be any standing room left in the garage :cry:

[/img]

My bike is almost 8 feet long also.

Attachments

• recumboni1.jpg
    recumboni1.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 8,106
LOOKING GOOD :)

whats the bills like mate - they seem to do a lovely job and it will work out expensive if your paying by the hour? let me know as i would definately consider a custom frame for my next build (he says laughing as the first build is no where near finished)

cheers

D

I have been very fortunate to find this company. After the first day, 1st sept, when we built 80% of the frame, progress has been slow. They are fitting it in between paying jobs. They are developing the frame, on the basis that, I'm building them a website and when the frame design is finalised and throughly tested, they will get the contract to put them into production. I will then sell the frame as a kit as well as built up bikes. The kit will include the power train and you'll just add standard MTB front end and brakes..... well that's the plan :D

The list of things to finish include; rear caliper mount, brake cables, front tyre, mount enclusure properly, then mount battery strap and controller inside, fit throttle again, then take it all apart and powder coat everything black, before building it all back up again. There is probably more...... I just can't wait until I get to ride...... 8)

Just remember ! it needs a stand fabricated as well......

Very Very nice. I can't wait to try one :D

Malcolm said:
Looking forward to more photos Ian. What wall thickness is the frame tube you used. Is it just mild steel? I've been nearly tempted to buy a tube bending rig a couple of times to do something like this myself, but if I buy any more tools there won't be any standing room left in the garage :cry:

Hi Malcolm,

We have used 25mm, 1.2mm wall mild steel tube. Heavy, but easy to fabricate. The idea is that once the shape/design is finalised, it will then go on a diet. Maybe stainless steel or possibly aluminium, or just 25mm 0.8mm mild steel. 25mm is a cheap size to fabricate as the engineers have the tooling to bend and cut that size. If we change the size, re-tooling could cost £200+ for new die's etc.

Cheers,

Ian

The frame's looking really good and your plan to use 0.8 mm wall, 25 mm tube sounds like it will give you a fairly light frame. I used 0.8 mm on a tadpole trike and it worked well, although welding can be tricky unless you use TIG.

I'm curious to know what your target market will be. I imagine you'll be selling it with a motor rated at over 200W, so are you planning to sell it is as a licensable vehicle or just leave that up to the buyer's discretion?

Cheers
Malcolm

Malcolm said:
The frame's looking really good and your plan to use 0.8 mm wall, 25 mm tube sounds like it will give you a fairly light frame. I used 0.8 mm on a tadpole trike and it worked well, although welding can be tricky unless you use TIG.

I'm curious to know what your target market will be. I imagine you'll be selling it with a motor rated at over 200W, so are you planning to sell it is as a licensable vehicle or just leave that up to the buyer's discretion?

Cheers
Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

I have two options, a legal 200W ebike version with peddles and 36V10Ah. Or a registered moped version Puma 48V 30Ah.

Early stages yet, but things are moving fast !!!

Ian

Hi All,

Here is a pic of the frame with the enclosure sitting about 4 inches to far forward. Brakes comming this weekend.... then some testing :twisted:

Cheers,

Ian

Attachments

• chop-4.jpg
    chop-4.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 5,871
Better and better Ian. The registered motorcycle version is crying out for an ETEC and a NuVinci(tm) CV hub :lol: Though you'd have to move the batts foreward a good bit...
Can't see from the pic, how wide is the battery box?

The second picture posted in http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2482&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=13 gives a better perspective on the overall size of the enclosure.

Way cool ChopperMan!
I like it.

You might want a short mud guard on the rear wheel if it doesn't ruin the looks. I'd hate to think of my shirt or something getting sucked into the back tire, not to mention what would happen if I ran over a dog turd or something.

looking very nice mate !!!!
i must look that firm up if they could build me a nice new frame with a bit more suspension :)
crack on mate, she's gonna be a beaut ;)

cheers

D

Back