I had a bit of a scare after wiring everything up with the CA and testing it in the basement. As soon as I turned it on the CA said I was using 8885 watts with no throttle. At full thottle no change.
I got out the manual and found how to zero it. The CA then said 0 watts all the time. Hmm. I send Jason at GrinTech a note to see if he had any bright idea, and went to bed. The next day he replied that that's what happens when you splice the wires and don't hook up the blue one or white one. Ah. On my second temporary splice that I did not solder as I needed to figure out how long to make the wire on my recumbent, there was indeed a bad connection. Works fine, case closed. All is right in the world.
Today I made the bracket for the return idler and confirmed that I don't really need to braze in new rear dropouts. I'm using the bolt-on derailleur hanger from an ancient 10 speed instead. Works fine. I have a bit more tweeking to go on the electric and human powered drivetrains, but the end is in sight!
I also found a nice old laptop bag that this battery pack fits in nicely. One of the bags pockets slides right onto the shelf. This means I'll just be able to use the shoulder strap to hold the battery on the bike, making it easy to take with me for charging.