8mm pitch pulleys from an exercise bike

1000w

1 kW
Today I picked up some handy belt drive parts from an exercise bike that was amongst verge side rubbish.
I am hoping to use this on my next build using a RC motor.
Unfortunately the bike was in bad condition and I couldn't find a brand or a model anywhere on it and I didn't have the camera with me.
The pedals were attached to the large 116 tooth pulley and this drove the smaller 17 tooth pulley on the flywheel. To save anyone doing the calculation, the ratio is 6.82 to 1.
The 17 tooth has a sprag bearing that fits on a 16mm shaft.
Here are some photos.

pulley1-1.jpg
pulley2-1.jpg

pulley3-1.jpg
pulley4-1.jpg
pulley5-1.jpg
pulley6-1.jpg
pulley7-1.jpg
pulley8-1.jpg
pulley9-1.jpg

Hopefully this is interesting to someone.
Cheers,
Matt.P.

Hillhater said:
PS, i think that is technically a roller/ramp clutch rather than a sprag.
Thanks for that, I wasn't sure what to call it.
I wonder if it can take 5 to 7 kw?
Hillhater said:
Any clues as to what make or brand of exercise bike that was ?
1000w said:
Unfortunately the bike was in bad condition and I couldn't find a brand or a model anywhere on it and I didn't have the camera with me.
Miles said:
I found this: http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdi ... 4495/00002
Interesting, not the same model but maybe many exercise bikes have toothed pulleys.
Cheers,
Matt.P.

1000w said:
Miles said:
I found this: http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdi ... 4495/00002
Interesting, not the same model but maybe many exercise bikes have toothed pulleys.
It says it's for an HTD belt. I shouldn't imagine a replacement part for an exercise bike would be a cheap way to get a pulley, though... :)

Miles said:
It says it's for an HTD belt. I shouldn't imagine a replacement part for an exercise bike would be a cheap way to get a pulley, though...
Cheap when they are on the side of the road. :)
I am keen to do a single stage reduction with a RC motor, so I want large pulleys like these.
I and many others have not been able to source large toothed pulleys so I think this is quite interesting.
The pulley in the link you posted looks like it has heaps of teeth.
Cheers,
Matt.P.

Back