Tadpole E-Trike Build

pelle242 said:
Goped ESR750 said:
BATFINK said:
Really looks the part with the seat there. What sort of motor are you going to power this with?

Planning on using an Etek motor with this build. I already have it handy.

What kind of reduction are you planning?

I have no plan as of yet, but am aiming for at least 40mph. I know the max rpm of the motor is around 4000rpm at the voltage I intend to use so will back work the ratio from this.

Been working on the steering assembly. Made few bits to weld together tomorrow. Made the notch in the handlebar support box section and steering link pin bracket using a hole saw. Put the hole saw in the mill, worked very well especially seeing as I don't have a collet large enough to fit a 50mm end mill. Used very slow rpm and very slow feed, and was constantly applying cutting compound with a brush. Few pics of what I been working on.

7fbf7865.jpg

dbc4e0d4.jpg

a3bc25a9.jpg

9510961f.jpg

2a909b0a.jpg

That is some nice metal work there goped! Great!
otherDoc

Thanks. Glad your liking the build.

Bent up some handlebars, and been working on the steering linkages. Think I got the ackerman compensation about right, although I think the proportional steering might require some final adjustment.

Few pictures of where I at.

e8caa9ab.jpg

755d54dd.jpg

03699d99.jpg

a465af24.jpg

ca66e3c9.jpg

Ground off the linkage on the steering tube, wasn't happy with the proportional steering. Found the linkage works best welded closer in. Steering alot better now.

Few pictures of where I am at.

8edd8b76.jpg

bfe5a395.jpg

cd4ca176.jpg

Goped ESR750 said:
My trike uses kingpins I made for tapered roller bearings. I cant remove either bearing as they need to be locked against each other to work. I included a picture of the kingpins assemblies I machined, they obviously have all the rest of the steering hardware welded to them now.

The steel I used for this is 50mm square box section with a 3mm wall. The actual frame is not hugely weighty, the wheels double the initial frame weight I would of thought.

There was an upgrade package for the kmx trike seat. I bought it, and made it fit my trike. I decided I didn't like it, although it was comfortable it certainly was not weather proof. I decided to make a bucket sort of seat which comes out the frame using 40mm x 3mm flat bar. Will add weather proof padding where necessary. The only bit of padding I feel I need is on the rear shock support for my back. The rest feels really comfortable for me, and keeps me in one place without risk of falling out in a corner. Others who have tried preferred the kmx seat, guess this happens when you make it fit one person :)

Few pictures of where I at.

I am real curious about the seat. I have had more trouble with seats than any other part of a recumbent. Here are some of the issues:

If you are sitting a little upright, as many recumbents do, and your weight is just in front of your sitz-bones, your legs will go to sleep. There is a nerve or a blood vessel or something right there. Getting weight onto your back ala' cattrike helps this effect, as does getting rid of any part of the seat in front of your sitz-bones. Those are actually meant to sit on, you know.

I have a friend who used 6" of good quality upholstery foam for his seat, and it works will. I don't like all that squish, so my seats are usually thinner. My current seat is a standard big-butt bike seat, turned around backwards, so I sit right on the edge, with the "horn" toward the back. I customized it to fit my butt by grinding out the foam just so, and adding a waterproof cover. The back support is two tubes that run along my spine, covered in thick foam pads bought from a company that sells gym equipment. It is really lightweight, and small, but strong. I also made it adjustable, instead of trying to adjust the pedal boom, so taller riders can use the bike.

A thin seat means that road bumps hammer your back unmercifully. Even with that big shock absorber, I predict you'll get a wallopping every once in a while.

I haven't had any luck making seats out of fabric or mesh, or lawn chair webbing, although I have tried all that stuff. I suppose one could just buy a seat from Rans or Burley or one of those guys. What have other folks done for recumbent seats? Had any struggles?

Looks BEEEEFY !!! Probly is going to need one of the GM motors Luke used on his "reasonable man's bike" or the new 4" Astro with sensors, Matt has just come up with, to reach it's full potential? :shock: I love it.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=34628

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=34862

Thanks for the replies.

I have no idea of the weight. I have to take the wheels of the trike to fit it in the shed, I can lift the frame without the wheels including the shock. It is starting to feel heavy though, it is not meant as a light weight thing. This probably going to get abused so the bigger the better.

I still have the goped project sidelined. I was working with a frame builder but he was taking so long, so I started the trike. I am going to now weld up my own scooter frame, once the trike frame is out for powder coat. I also have a few other projects in the sideline.

I am not really sure if I can help you much with the seat. It's probably not going to be the most comfortable. I will probably change things as I go along. I like to make things anyway to progress and then come back to them if they cause an issue later. At the moment the seat I am happy with, but I can't guarantee it will be the final seat.

Since I had the steering completed, I have been focusing now on getting the drive system on the scooter. I started with the pedal side as I already know where the front pedals are this will be the datum for my rear cassette and an ideal place to start.

I had a handy new 7 gear free wheel from a previous project. The thread on it was something particularly awkward, being a 35mm 24tpi thread. Had to machine a small weld on hub. Wasn't going to even bother looking for a die, just screw cut the thread on the lathe.

I then bored the hub to 20mm. Slid a shaft through and welded. I really filled it up with weld, which enable me to nicely machine it back again. Can't tell it was ever 2 pieces.

The idea of the drive system is the pedals run to a shaft behind the back of the seat. On one side is the free wheel on the other the sprocket for the rear wheel. In the middle between the two pillow blocks will be the pulley for the motor to drive off. The sprocket and pulley will be use taper lock bushes, so I got a couple key ways to machine on the shaft yet. I needed to use the shaft for alignment so will machine them later.

Here is a few pictures of where I am at.

45b5cc4b.jpg

cddeefbb.jpg

e6d2bba7.jpg

fe97a400.jpg

55f7013f.jpg

e7902c37.jpg

96ffd6c7.jpg

04720995.jpg

Been difficult finding a break in the weather to get the trike out to work on. It's too big to put together in my shed and I needed to assemble to align the pillow block.

Managed to get the mounts welded on today. I have decided I need to remake the shaft to take a flexible couple past the bicycle free wheel. So I can mount the motor on the other end of the shaft. Need to get a flexible coupling before I make the motor mount, as will use it to align the motor then make the mount to fit. Also need to make a bracket to take the derailleur. Should hopefully have some nice weather so should be able to get rolling on this project again. Few pictures of where I am at.

25667576.jpg

49bebbc0.jpg

c8c1d5ae.jpg

247fe9fe.jpg

f23f5b00.jpg

1592be3c.jpg

Made a bracket to hold the derailleur. Need to mount it a little lower than would normally be one a bike, as I need some clearance for the coupling. Not sure how well it will shift, but I not exactly expecting a lot of pedalling to be done. Got the coupling through. I think I will make a rigid coupling to align the motor then use the flexible coupling on the road.

Few pictures of where I am at.

534e8df4.jpg

c664c4be.jpg

e2a63413.jpg

ad41815c.jpg

78886eef.jpg

acc45a5f.jpg

6e416d05.jpg

f77d8944.jpg

5644b1fc.jpg

e9046e08.jpg

bed15bf7.jpg

I'm always impressed with the homebuilt stuff. Not that you should go backwards and remove any of your seat components, but if you ever want a KMX seat frame with the pad and cover, I have one available for ya. No hardware though. But from the looks of it, you seem like the type who can easily make it work. Congrats. Excellent job so far.

This looks interesting.
What type of bicycle chain are you going to be using to handle the weight/stresses?

Unfortunately the OP (Goped ESR750) hasnt' even been to the forums at all in more than 5 years, and hasn't posted in 8 years, so it's pretty unlikely there will ever be updates to this even if they finished their project. :/

Back