The smallest problems can be the most frustrating.

motomech

10 MW
Try as I might, I have not been able to come up with a functional combo of rear view mirror/bike stand. Actually, I've had zero luck with a stand. The problem fitting a stand of some sort is due to the shape of my chain stay. The "hanger hole" is at such an angle as to preclude bolting on a conventional double leg stand and rear disc gets in the way of clamping on a rear single leg stand.
The lack of a stand has been NBD, it's easy enough to prop it against something 99% of the time, but now I want a mirror again and the only mirrors that I have used that work have been "bar-end" types. Hard to lean the bike[and I need it to lean to the left because my bag opens on the right]with a mirror sticking out there.
Anyone else dealing with these "niggling" issues.
Your solutions?

Attachments

• SAM_0580.JPG
    SAM_0580.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 2,523
If you just want to lean it on something just apply your brake and stick something in there to hold the lever so it stays applied then it will not roll. If you want a real kick stand you may have to modify something, as many of us have done, to make it fit.

GiantwiresLtriangle.jpg

Filed the kickstand mount to get around the axle nut and then drilled attached it to my torque arm. Then I drilled the kickstand arm and ran a screw through to attach it to a hole near the dropout. Had to use a few spacers to get everything on a level plane but everything werqs great for over 6K now. I never used the other part of the kickstand bracket intended for the inside of the triangle. I have seen others just file/grind the parts to make them fit.

I may be pilfering that kickstand mod :)
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=585199#p585199

Best mirror for the case you have is what I did on DayGlo Avenger. I used the clamping arrangment from a seatpost, to grip the handlebar at the end of the bar. Then used one of the clamping washer sets that usually holds the under-seat wire frame to instead grip the normally threaded-in part of a moped or motorcycle mirror.

I used the bolt from the seatpost clamp to hold it together, as I don't need to adjust it that way, but if I did I would instead use a QR bolt from a seatpost, so I could simply flip it open and swivel the mirror out of the way when leaning it against something, then swivel it back and clamp it tight when riding off again.

Alternately just don't tighten it quite that hard with the regular bolt, and swivel it anyway.

There are several ways to do this kind of thing; this was just easiest with parts on hand.

Some pics of DGA's mount, which I have also used on CrazyBike2:

Attachments

• DSC02760.JPG
    DSC02760.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 2,485
  • DSC02761.JPG
    DSC02761.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 2,485
  • DSC04764.JPG
    DSC04764.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 2,485
biohazardman said:
If you just want to lean it on something just apply your brake and stick something in there to hold the lever so it stays applied then it will not roll. If you want a real kick stand you may have to modify something, as many of us have done, to make it fit.

GiantwiresLtriangle.jpg

Filed the kickstand mount to get around the axle nut and then drilled attached it to my torque arm. Then I drilled the kickstand arm and ran a screw through to attach it to a hole near the dropout. Had to use a few spacers to get everything on a level plane but everything werqs great for over 6K now. I never used the other part of the kickstand bracket intended for the inside of the triangle. I have seen others just file/grind the parts to make them fit.

Thanks, food for thought.

Thanks for responding AW
Know you are busy,...following your review.

You guys must have some incredibly smooth roads for a mirror to work worth a damn. I've tried and found them useless on my bikes, so I just turn around and look. Of course, it helps that I don't have to do it often, since as fast or faster than traffic. :mrgreen:

John

Are you using bicycle mirrors, or motorcycle mirrors? All the bicycle ones I have had shake too much, but the motorcycle ones work well enough even on potholey roads.

Better pics of how the mirror mount goes together (since I built another one on the new Fusin bike a few hours ago):

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

You take the seatpost clamp itself and slide it over the end of the handlebar, right up to the little dimple that would keep it from sliding down the seatpost. Then slip the nut over one bare end of the "rear" side of that (facing the rider), with the square bolt thru the "front" side of that. Put *both* of the cupped-clamping portions of the seat clamp (taht would hold onto the wire frame of the seat bottom, normally) together facing each other, so that they can clamp around the mirror's mounting bar to secure it to the bike. Slip a washer over the end of that, and loosely place the nut on the end. Then stick a large nut or other bit of unneeded stuff into the other side, so that it helps hold the clamps even, as they are going to be separated by enough distance taht they'll just angle and not clamp as you tighten the nut down otherwise.

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=585380#p585380

Helmet mirror? I never used one, but see them on commuters often. I just keep looking, and don't ride a route where I have to look a lot.

If you can get them attached, I have found double kick stands rock. Holds up my frankenbike just fine. I had to lenghten both of them, btw, to suspension bike length. One is alloy and has a bit of tube drilled and screwed in place. The other is steel and has more steel welded on. In this case, I had two stand mounts on the bike, one on each frame. But on other bikes, I have loved double stands using one at the crank, and the other a cheap bikes bolt to the rear hub nut type.

Frankenbike longtail.  Bouncing Betty..jpg

I tried out this $9 Ebay stand and I can say with certainity that is worth what I payed for it.

$(KGrHqZ,!hcE9dy96vlTBPv1bBOPDw~~60_1.jpg

Seriously, for my current bike/set-up this stand is kind of iffy. With no motor in the rear, it's on the tipping point of the weight high up front pulling the bike over to the left. So I've extended the stand all the way out[down] to keep the bike more veritcal than I would perfer. So now, with these 26" wheels, the unit is a bit wobbly. I wouldn't walk away from it on a windy day.

View attachment 1

I think it will work much better with the rear motor. 24" wheel build I'm about to start.
It does tuck up nicey out of the way.

Attachments

• SAM_0619.JPG
    SAM_0619.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 2,342
Nice how you can slide it in toward the weight! :)

cool bike!

Tommy L sends... \\m//

Back