RC Turnigy 80100, FS Kona Cowan DJ, A123 build.

It took the steam out of the build. I've been riding my BMC in the trails so I haven't had much time to work on it. I will need to rewind the motor, something I'm not looking forward to. I have it off the bike at least. I did purchase an 80mm version recently from leader hobby. I will get it on the bike this weekend. Just finished cutting off the shaft and adding a keyway.

Update, I had both motors sent out to Thudster for rewind. He has been very busy with work and hasn't been able to get to them. In the meantime I saw a sale from Leader Hobby for the 80c100. I just recently recieved it and took it apart yesterday. The quality control is much better than Hobby Kings brand. I will be making a keyway for the shaft today. I've been busy myself, working full time. Any free time gets burned up by trail rides and other priorities. Hopefully this build won't drag on much longer, still have to start on the a123 battery build for it.

It's called winter :( As soon as riding season starts up sometime in late April, I will work on it again. The last issue I had was the spur gears wearing out to nubs due to the torque. Need to find better quality steel ones. Never did get to push its potential. It did do 30mph. Need to program the Lyen controller, pretty sure current restriction is set. It's still at factory settings. Fairly light setup and well balanced. Can't wait to jump it.

Yes, I agree. Been busy working full time. I finally had time over the weekend to get back on to this build. I had trouble with the spur gear wearing out, had added a second one only to get the same results. Decided it must be the cheap metal it was made from since driven gear showed little sign of wear. When I tried to install the new gear, I found the original keyway too shallow. I had to bore out the hole to fit the motor shaft. It's nice to have a CNC, but it doesn't solve all your machining problems. I had a small file I could use but it just takes too long, which got me thinking. This is the end result :mrgreen: New keyway, looks nice and clean.

This will be my new favorite tool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m870AjLctk4

Attachments

• Cheap spur gear.jpg
    Cheap spur gear.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 1,799
  • new spur gear.jpg
    new spur gear.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 1,799
  • deepend original keyway.jpg
    deepend original keyway.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 1,799
  • how to file things really fast.jpg
    how to file things really fast.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,799
  • modified file.jpg
    modified file.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 318
Looks like the hardware issues are resolved :D, I need to work on the controllers settings and battery next. With my GPS, I was topping out at 35mph with a 14S lipo pack. The throttle is predictable and not harsh, I'm hoping to improve the response time a bit through the controller settings. Wear on the gears now seem minimal. Need a new front rim, it has a bit of wobble at speed. Noise from the chain was noticeable, but not loud. I plan to put a housing on it, so the chain won't grab any clothing. Pretty sure it's current limited since it cutoff on me when I tried to climb a hill.

I wasn't able to reprogram the controller, I suspect the serial port is bad, but it could be the software communicating at a wrong baud rate. The software is sending the initialization sequence but I get no response out of the controller, or anything going on in the progress bar.

In the meantime, I've ordered another from Lyen as a backup and a spare for my on going projects. Currently, rewireing it so it can be swapped. Lyen recommend 12 FET 3077 Mark II Extreme Modder as a good choice since I won't be going over 72volts. I would prefer to stay away from higher voltages, just to avoid the extra saftey precautions. I will eventually take apart the current controller to figure why it's not programming as well as increase the traces and mod the shunt.

I spent last evening trueing up the front tire. It was bent badly by the previous owner. Very frustrating to work on, most of the nipples were rounded off. I eventually tore apart the wheel so I could adjust it from the spoke ends. Had to find a flat screw driver bit of the correct size and Dremel out the center, this made another useful tool. The front wheel is now usable. I will eventually need to buy a new front rim, since you really can't get the rim unbent by just spoke tension. I'm getting .1" variation. I will see how it works out first.

Had some time this weekend, picked up a new controller from Lyen. Had some issues with programming the old controller, need to take it apart and see if there is a buffer. Pretty sure the serial section is blown. Was able to program the new controller. Things were going good, but acceleration wasn't what I was expecting. Played with block time only to burn out the controller. Will have to take them apart and see what can be done to fix them :x Speed definitely improved, maybe I need to bump it to 66v to feel the torque.

Back