Bafang BBS-02 on a dw-link 7" travel free ride bike

hi everyone, im an experienced long time MTBer. used to competitively race DH, spent many years on BMX bikes, now i just ride for fun. Also Im a degreed mechanical engineer, own a welding/fabrication/machine shop and have plenty of experience with brushless electric RC cars. However I admit being a total noob when it comes to ebikes. i have an old 7" travel ironhorse 7point sitting here, begging me for a mid drive swap:

pbpic2806405.jpg

my plan is to carefully mill the BB cups from 83mm down to 73mm to accept the BBS02. however my real questions for you ES experts are:

1) how to best control the motor, has anyone experimented with using different controllers? I believe the bosch ebike mid drive pedal assist is the best controller, and wish something like that existed for the bbs-02. has anybody tried something like this speed controller: http://kellycontroller.com/keb48201x24v-48v150a20kw-bike-brushless-controller-regen-p-59.html

2) have any of you been able to use a torque sensor on the bafang controller

3) which batteries to use

4) is the bbs 02 bb spindle weak like the GNG? are the crank arms weak? It seems the square taper would carry over and be the same as some of the older shimano or other cranks... maybe i can swap some arms over?

thanks for the input, really exciting times to be able to purchase a 750w bb motor like this so easily

To your bike: Have a look if there is enough space around the bottom bracket on the right side. Around the milled down bottom bracket there needs to 6cm(2.3 inch) space in a plane from the center. Thats the space the secondary gear reduction of the Motor takes. If the pivots of your frame are to wide. The motor won't fit.

I got the BBS02 sitting here and I plan to put it in a 6.5 inch Votex VSX bike.

I don't think that there is a way to use a torque sensor. The Bafang BBT will have a torque sensor, but it won't even come near a bosch...

I want a good controllable thumb throttle for real offroad use. So that aim might be achievable. The build in controller should be ok, but the controll software on it may not. So what really is needed is the software for programming the build in controller to our needs.

nwkeefer (Mike) connected one of these drives to a Lyen programmable Xie-Chang 6-FET controller. I doubt you can use more than 30A for any length of time before the heat-protection activates, so I imagine a 6-FET is a good experiment.

"Lyen programmable Xie-Chang 6-FET controller. I doubt you can use more than 30A for any length of time before the heat-protection activates, so I imagine a 6-FET is a good experiment. "

do you have a thread for this? I just tried searching but couldnt find it (sorry if im being dumb)

Here's the link...If you are running 60V or less, definitely get the 3077 FETs:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=19587#p357997

The BBS02 spindle has been ridden very hard by several builders, and it is reported to perform well so far. This is the complete opposite of the stock BB-spindle on the GNG kit which is so weak, it is not even "average".

The 750W is becoming my favorite suggestion for a street commuter with serious hills. For off-road? I am eagerly awaiting my LightningRods kit, which uses the wonderful GNG motor (actually from Honglida), but he replaces every other part with a heavy-duty upgrade.

spinningmagnets said:
Here's the link...If you are running 60V or less, definitely get the 3077 FETs:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=19587#p357997

The BBS02 spindle has been ridden very hard by several builders, and it is reported to perform well so far. This is the complete opposite of the stock BB-spindle on the GNG kit which is so weak, it is not even "average".

The 750W is becoming my favorite suggestion for a street commuter with serious hills. For off-road? I am eagerly awaiting my LightningRods kit, which uses the wonderful GNG motor (actually from Honglida), but he replaces every other part with a heavy-duty upgrade.

What do you mean by Honglida version? Link please. Thanks

Back