1500 Watt Leaf Motor Pas Issue

SteveC

10 W
Installed a Leaf 1500 watt motor. Description here.
The issue I am having is when using pedal assist. The motor keeps accelerating to its top-end speed. I am unable to add human power to the bike using PAS. (Ghost Pedaling)

Current menu settings:
P11: Assist Sensitivity: 24
P12 Assist Strength: 5

It makes no difference when lowering these settings. Last email with Leaf states "PAS only one kind of speed. Max speed." The display is an LCD 08Hu and was part of the kit from Leaf. The color display is NOT readable in daylight.

Has anyone had this same issue, or did I convert my bike into a ghost pedal bike?

Regards
Steve

Attachments

• 20240427_122306.jpeg
    20240427_122306.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 20240427_123419.jpeg
    20240427_123419.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 4
  • ebike display.pdf
    7.9 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
If you switch your controller setting to "speed mode" instead of "imitation torque mode", then the levels will correlate to specific top speeds and you can choose the speed that befits your gear ratio and cadence. You can fine tune the speed by setting level 1 at a different percentage of level 5 (full speed). 2, 3, and 4 will distribute evenly between them.

Installed a Leaf 1500 watt motor. Description here.
The issue I am having is when using pedal assist. The motor keeps accelerating to its top-end speed.
Are you sure it's accelerating to top speed, or accelerating like full throttle up to a speed, possibly not top speed? If the throttle scheme for you controller is speed based, any amount of throttle will cause the motor to accelerate as quickly as possible to the speed represented by the throttle, be it partial or full. A power based scheme feels more like your car accelerator, where the accelerator dictates the power to the motor, so more gradual acceleration at partial throttle than full.

Are you sure it's accelerating to top speed, or accelerating like full throttle up to a speed, possibly not top speed? If the throttle scheme for you controller is speed based, any amount of throttle will cause the motor to accelerate as quickly as possible to the speed represented by the throttle, be it partial or full. A power based scheme feels more like your car accelerator, where the accelerator dictates the power to the motor, so more gradual acceleration at partial throttle than full.
While I pedal it keeps accelerating, with the rear tire off the floor until it gets to 45 mph, which is the top end. Did find a number of posts with the same situation that PAS is fixed to Max speed, depending on make and model of the display and the controller.

If you switch your controller setting to "speed mode" instead of "imitation torque mode", then the levels will correlate to specific top speeds and you can choose the speed that befits your gear ratio and cadence. You can fine tune the speed by setting level 1 at a different percentage of level 5 (full speed). 2, 3, and 4 will distribute evenly between them.
I don't have a speed mode that I can see. Level one is 20mph with a 52-volt battery. I have attached the manual.

Attachments

• ebike display.pdf
    7.9 MB · Views: 5
Current menu settings:
P11: Assist Sensitivity: 24
P12 Assist Strength: 5

It makes no difference when lowering these settings. Last email with Leaf states "PAS only one kind of speed. Max speed."

What happens if you use the defaults of 01 and 3 ?

I'd ask Leaf to clarify their statement.

I don't have a speed mode that I can see. Level one is 20mph with a 52-volt battery. I have attached the manual.
I haven't used that display (only LCD3, LCD4, and LCD11), but it surprises me that they'd delete useful functions on a more advanced display.

Still, if you feel like swapping the display for one that you can read in sunlight, that isn't dazzling in the dark, one of the above models will do it. And it will give you either variable power or variable speed limit on your PAS.

I haven't used that display (only LCD3, LCD4, and LCD11), but it surprises me that they'd delete useful functions on a more advanced display.

Still, if you feel like swapping the display for one that you can read in sunlight, that isn't dazzling in the dark, one of the above models will do it. And it will give you either variable power or variable speed limit on your PAS.
From what I have read on this forum, the display is only half of the equation. The motor controller may be limited by design or oversight not to provide a lower PAS setting. Further examples of this are located @ Help Programming controller - Duotts C29 - Chinese E-bike PAS is very bad

Attachments

• Amazon-com-Ebike-LCD-Display-Meter-KT-LCD3-24V-36V-48V-52V-Electric-Bike-Conversion-Kit-Displa...png
    Amazon-com-Ebike-LCD-Display-Meter-KT-LCD3-24V-36V-48V-52V-Electric-Bike-Conversion-Kit-Displa...png
    497.9 KB · Views: 1

You have to match the display to the controller. The controller that came from Leaf is NOT a KT. See attached photo.

Attachments

• Leaf controller.jpeg
    Leaf controller.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
PAS workaround:

1. Install a 2nd throttle mechanically fixed to 10 mph with a momentary push button to activate then I can add my pedaling. Trying to hold the throttle fixed at 10mph is hard to do.

2. Send down the signal wire with a momentary push switch the 5 volts reduced to 1-2 volts using a voltage divider.

This video gave me that idea.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
It seems like big motors and their controllers have never given much priority to pedal assist, They all appear to be set as on/off switches and in your case, all the PAS levels have the same speed limit? Bummer.

That's a shame, because it sure looks like you have a sophisticated display. Appears to work with three different brands of controllers, including KT. If you had a KT, you could select torque mode too,

No experience with the high power (30A) KT controllers. They seem to be square wave and sensorless. Still, I'd spend the 50-60 bucks vs fiddling with work arounds.

How about installing a much larger chainring and actually pedaling? should solve your PAS problem.

Seen here: 52T front chainring, freewheel with lower 11t gear, 26" wheels, could pedal up to 40mph.

1714324049583.png

How about installing a much larger chainring and actually pedaling? should solve your PAS problem.

Seen here: 52T front chainring, freewheel with lower 11t gear, 26" wheels, could pedal up to 40mph.

View attachment 351918
Good Idea. Still want to fiddle around and make a fixed speed throttle. I spent the time to put Julet connectors on all the wires vers the plastic crappy ones, so I hesitate to start that all over again with a new controller. I will measure the voltage on the signal wire while the rear tire is up and at 12-14 mph will note the voltage and make a resistor bridge to get a similar voltage form 5 volts. I thought I had a potentiometer so I could change the voltage on the fly.

Back