• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

24v 250w controller over heat issue

castle

1 µW
hi there. i hope some one might be able to shed some light on this issue i have.. i bought an X-treme XB-300l1 bike 4 months ago.. can with a 3 month warranty. i have used the bike maybe 15 times just on weekend basically on straight terrane.. the bike cost me about $1100 bucks and it is already not working.. what the issue is when the bike is cool i can get about 1 mile and then it must be over heating because it will power off.. i can turn it off and right back on and it will work but any type of throttle it will just die again.. i can peddle with it and it might work but hit any incline and it will die even pedaling.. the battery is fine.. if i let the bike sit for 5 minutes it is work perfect again until it heats up and die close to a mile.. my buddy took the controller box apart and the board doesn't really look fried by looking at it.. he tried to find out what type of mosfets they were but the logo on them were impossable to match with anything online.. i ordered a new control unit for extreme scooters and they emailed me saying thry don't have the part and won't give any eta's.. in fact i can't get a hold of a human being at that company.. i live in humtington beach california and want to fix this.. is there a certain moset that i can buy local that works in a 24v 250w controller? is there anything else that could cause it to over heat possibly? any help would be greatly appreated... castle

HOT NEW ITEM!!
$1,199.00 Reg.
$1,099.00 SALE

The XB-300Li is a Lithium Battery powered Electric Bicycle, running on a 300 Watt rear hub motor. Made with all top of the line components this model includes a 7 Speed Shimano Tourney® Gears & Shifter System, 7 Lightweight Lithium Ion Batteries, a 100% Aluminum Alloy Frame, fully Adjustable Seat, and an RST Capa® T7 front fork.

This model is in Stock & Ships immediately!!

This model is available in Men's or Womans 26" frame & comes in natural polished aluminum or black.

Item ships by a trucking company. Shipping is free if you will pick it up at the nearest terminal or $70 to have it delivered to your door.

Product Specifications:

Power: Electric
Watts: 300 Watt
Motor Type: Brushless Hub Motor - Motor is in center of rear wheel
Gears & Speed's: 7 Speed Shimano Tourney® Gears & Shifter
Amps: 56 AMP Circuit (7 Batteries at 8 AMP's each)
Volts: 24 Volts (Each Battery Is 3.6 Volts)
Batteries: 7 - Lightweight Lithium Batteries In A Sealed Removable Pack
Tire Size: 26" x 1.95" on Aluminum Wheels
Charger: Smart Charger Included
Tool Kit: Included
Speed: 20 MPH* using motor power only - faster if you also pedal
Distance: Up to 20 - 25 miles per charge - can still pedal if charge is lost
Throttle Type: Variable Speed Control - Twist Throttle - or - Pedal & Power Assisted
Key Start: Yes
Frame Type: 100% Aluminum - Very Light Weight
Forks: RST Capa® T7 Front Hydraulic Forks Made (Top Name Brand)
Braking System: Front and Rear Brakes
Drive System: Rear Hub Motor (Motor is in rear rim) + Pedal Power
Head Light: Yes
Measurements: Wheel to Wheel 72" - Width 25" - To Bars 37"
Adjustable Seat Height: 37 3/4" to 45 3/4"
Carton Size (LxWxH): 58 x 11 x 30 inches
Scooter In Box Weight: 60 Lbs (Not including weight of the pallet it ships on)
Scooter Weight: 51 Lbs (Including the light weight battery pack)
Maximum Rider Weight: 350 Lbs
Horn/Bell Included: Yes
Battery Indicator: Yes
Cargo Rack: Included
Warranty: 90 Day X-Treme Warranty
6 Month Battery Warranty *depends on rider weight & terrain This item can be shipped to Canada for $100 extra.

It is possible that it is the BMS in the battery cutting out. You might try checking that first. I'd hate to see you buy a controller and find out the battery is the cause.

I would try to get it fixed under warranty. I know it sucks but if you mess with the controller then you'd be on your own. Of course it could be a good learning curve. Hang out here long enough and you might be swapping that controller for 36 or 48 volts. :D
I really would keep trying to get some warranty service. 4 months is not very long.

Sounds like voltage sag on a badly balanced battery. The bms is cutting it off if that is the problem. Try leaving it on the charger 24-7 for awhile, while trying for some kind of warranty refund, replacement, etc. If anybody lives near you, you could try the bike on a 24v sla pack to see if it keeps doing the same thing.

Mine is doing the same thing. It runs fine for the first mile or so. Then it just cuts out, but only if I am giving full throttle. Then I have to switch the battery pack off then back on to reset. The longer I wait to continue the longer it will go before it cuts off again. But only at full throttle. I never figured it to be the brand new battery pack. How can that be? Is there some kind of circuitry inside the pack? If so why? What is a BMS? Are these Lithium batterys known to be faulty when only used 15 times? My NiCads never caused any problems in years of use.

hey guys thanks for everything... I am going to see if i can get another 24v power sourse and test it.. if i can that should narrow it down if it is the battery or that controller.. with Xtreme shit service i wonder how hard it will be to get a replacment battery pack,, but i will follow through with this and keep you informed.. the battery is 1 year warranty so maybe i have a chance.. thanks and any posts on where i can get or rig a 24 volt to test it would be big help!! castle

castle, on your first post you said "the battery is fine". What is your basis for that statement?

You can save yourself the trouble of finding another power source by connecting a voltmeter to your present battery and riding the bike and watching the meter. If the voltage goes below the low voltage cutoff point then your battery is very likely suspect! I don't know the lvc point for a 24 volt lithium battery (depends on the type of lithium chemistry) but I would guess it to be around 20 volts.

Back