asking for a raise, advice needed

jimmyhackers

10 kW
At my job for over the past year i received minimum wage for 6 months (on agency). When i was offered a contract they tried to pay me minimum wage again and i said "no, i want more for my skills" (electrical,mechanical,flt,prior experience etc etc). I ended up with an extra £1.60 per hour over minimum wage which was better than nothing.

Recently in the UK the minimum wage was lifted by the government (for cost of living increases). All of my other less skilled co workers got the raise (54p per hour), but as my current wage was above the new minimum wage they didnt mention a pay rise to me. So i am currently only £1.06 something pence above my non skilled co-workers.

I asked both of my higher ups seperately if I would be receiving a payrise and both have told me they have brought it up with the main manager and they're looking into it.
Both agreed that not giving me a raise essentially devalues my skillset, and that it was kinda cheeky that the company put the onus on myself to ask for one.

There has been no mention back yet (2-3 days).

Im just wondering how other people would handle this situation?

thanks in advance
Jim

Skilled labor should always be paid notably above minimum wage.

2-3 business days is usually long enough to get an answer from management. I would nag them again about it and if the answer is no, start looking for another job on the side that will pay that.

I know we are in economic hard times but i'm sure there's a company ( especially competitors of the company you work for ) who will pay beyond minimum wage.

Is the company small or large?
I would look around, not necessarily for a new job now, but to get a feel for what the market is offering for your skills. This is valuable information to bring into the conversation, because it puts some pressure on the employer that they might not only lose you, but others that may have similar skills, to competitors. It shouldn’t be an “or else” conversation, since your supervisor may genuinely be trying, but more like you haven’t heard back, so you started seeing what’s out there. If they really are thinking about it, this provides you supervisor additional ammunition when approaching the big cheese again.
PS. The “or else” should be reserved for after you have a good lead on another job. If you’re good, they’ll be worried enough that you’re looking. When looking around, look at total compensation, which may include other benefits, time off, etc. iThe fact that you’ve researched that as well, carries more weight, since it demonstrates that you know how these conversations go, and are prepared to have a serious discussion.

Jim:

You need to be able to describe your value (short and long term) to the company. If it is based upon simply performing tasks, you have little leverage. The minimum wage and skilled vs. skilled discussion is IMHO just a smokescreen.

if you cannot put into words how you contribute to the success of the company, this will be a long uphill battle. And will just carry on to your next job .....

A great axiom: 'Know your role ....' and what value it adds to an organization .....

Last edited:
All of the advice given so far has been relevant. I'm well along in my career now, but when I've wanted to ask for more money, the first thing you do is find someone else preapred to pay you that, then have a conversation with your employer that you have x offer elsewhere for this much more BUT also tell them how you add value to your current business. If they can see what you do to contribute, you're vastly more more likely to be able to get what you're after

thanks for the help, all good advice.

After reading Quinc's post, and i think about it, a point i made to get the first raise was that amazon just opened a warehouse 2 minutes from my house and they are looking for trained reach/counterbalance flt drivers. :D

its kinda awkward as im friends with parts of the buisness (one of my aboves and an investor). I used to work there running the warehouse by myself 7 years prior, i left after 2ish years due to similar happenings.
Currently the buisness has grown from tiny to small, I manage the returns and somewhat supervise the other 5 people in the warehouse, they havnt been able to find anyone capable of doing returns competently/quickly for years now (since i left), at the price they wanted to pay. there was 2 aisles worth of backlogged returns.

which i also guess factored into the initial pay rise.

As for my value in the returns role "im the best at giving away your stuff for free really quickly and competantly" doesnt seem like a good point. :D

looks like im job hunting again.

Having fun is more important then money. If you have food, clothing, and shelter? Do whatever you enjoy doing.

Come work for Marty. I pay as little as possible. I buy lunch.

Most important thing with every job. Safety. Don't get hurt.

At my job for over the past year i received minimum wage for 6 months (on agency). When i was offered a contract they tried to pay me minimum wage again and i said "no, i want more for my skills" (electrical,mechanical,flt,prior experience etc etc). I ended up with an extra £1.60 per hour over minimum wage which was better than nothing.

Recently in the UK the minimum wage was lifted by the government (for cost of living increases). All of my other less skilled co workers got the raise (54p per hour), but as my current wage was above the new minimum wage they didnt mention a pay rise to me. So i am currently only £1.06 something pence above my non skilled co-workers.

I asked both of my higher ups seperately if I would be receiving a payrise and both have told me they have brought it up with the main manager and they're looking into it.
Both agreed that not giving me a raise essentially devalues my skillset, and that it was kinda cheeky that the company put the onus on myself to ask for one.

Im just wondering how other people would handle this situation?

thanks in advance
Jim
My brother was named Jim and I'll reply like he were you and I were young. Consider moving to the United States and working for what is commonly known as the military industrial complex building Submarines, Fighter Aircraft, Jet Engines (WITH ME), Patriot Missiles, Artillery shells , Ammunition . Think Self Actualization brother because Life is short.
EX ( RAYTHEON; Pratt & Whitney , Lockheed, ELECTRIC BOAT)
Because:
1)You are a citizen of Great Britain and worthy of employment an ally of the USA I assume & unconvicted with high moral character - very well be granted 'green card' status. Permanent resident employment as a citizen of G.B.
2) Your noted skills with years of experience involve material handling for example is perfectly transferable skill
3) Excellent English reading and writing proven in English school systems

Last edited:
Having fun is more important then money. If you have food, clothing, and shelter? Do whatever you enjoy doing.

Come work for Marty. I pay as little as possible. I buy lunch.

Most important thing with every job. Safety. Don't get hurt.
Steel pot, peanut gorp, Buffalo snow, and army blankets ?

If the business can't figure out to pay key personnel better than that, I have to wonder in what other ways they're failing self-destructively.

Sometimes the options for negotiation are limited - if you see your experience and knowledge really counts, i mean that you provide much more value to the company than an unskilled worker (or even 5 unskilled workers) and still the company refuses to recognize that fact and will not pay you any better, then you need to look for something new.
I've made the mistake and stayed in a company much longer than i should - very convenient for the bosses to have a loyal, underpaid employee, and very mentally destroying for me - the employee. It did not help me build any confidence in my skills and abilities.

Update: i didnt get the 54p raise :(

i got a £1.50 raise instead!!! :D (no extra commitments either :) )

for whatever reason i wasnt told, and i only noticed looking at my payslip today (today is payday also), i went and said thank you straight away. Not sure if it was meant to be a "suprise" or they are that busy they forgot to mention it to me.

either way, im chuffed :)

thanks again for everyones advice

Update: i didnt get the 54p raise :(

i got a £1.50 raise instead!!! :D (no extra commitments either :) )

for whatever reason i wasnt told, and i only noticed looking at my payslip today (today is payday also), i went and said thank you straight away. Not sure if it was meant to be a "suprise" or they are that busy they forgot to mention it to me.

either way, im chuffed :)

thanks again for everyones advice
Great news, must feel good! Good thing you were patient and waited for the company to make things right. I once got a promotion and didn’t know about it until some people started to congratulate me, lol.

Back