Battery compatibility questions for first build. Tips appreciated

ddag

1 µW
I have very little knowledge about ebike conversion. What I know is I want to use a mid drive instead of hub motor. My priority is high acceleration so I plan on using the 'hot rod' 1500w programming Luna offers for the BBSHD.

Luna is entirely out of stock on batteries, so I am confused about what other battery to get, but I have read to make sure that it's made with LG/Panasonic/Samsung batteries. It's hard to find batteries that specify their exact brand, but the first (cheaper) one I linked mentions they use multiple companies batteries including those (sounds sketchy). The second is a more expensive one that specifically uses Panasonic but I'm not sure about compatibility of either. I also read the power/load of the motor matters and it should match with the battery used so still confused on that.

Additionally, Luna says it is a 30amp kit. So correct me if I'm wrong, but the 25a option for the Jumbo shark would be incompatible, therefor I need the 'up to 50a' version?

Bike: Cortello Detroit Bikes CORTELLO • USA MADE

Kit: Bafang BBSHD Mid Drive Ebike Kit standard bracket size w/ hot rod program Bafang BBSHD Mid Drive Ebike Kit

Battery: 14S5P EM3ev Jumbo Shark Battery Type - 52V 13.8AH (14S5P-28A) SHARK (CONTROLLERS UP TO 50A) EM3ev 52V (14S5P) Jumbo Shark Ebike Battery | EM3ev

Alternative Battery: 52V 12.8 AH DOLPHIN EBIKE BATTERY (PANASONIC NCR18650BD CELLS) 52V 12.8 Ah Dolphin Ebike Battery (Panasonic NCR18650BD Cells)

I'm sure the stock Cortello bike parts could be upgraded but I wanted something barebones to start. I believe these components are compatible but I would like some second opinions or other tips before pulling the trigger!

Edit: Sorry I just realized I started this off intending for it to be a mechanical/structural question but ended up making it more about batteries. Either way thanks for the help!

Last edited:
I have very little knowledge about ebike conversion. What I know is I want to use a mid drive instead of hub motor. My priority is high acceleration so I plan on using the 'hot rod' 1500w programming Luna offers for the BBSHD.

Luna is entirely out of stock on batteries, so I am confused about what other battery to get, but I have read to make sure that it's made with LG/Panasonic/Samsung batteries. It's hard to find batteries that specify their exact brand, but the first (cheaper) one I linked mentions they use multiple companies batteries including those (sounds sketchy). The second is a more expensive one that specifically uses Panasonic but I'm not sure about compatibility of either. I also read the power/load of the motor matters and it should match with the battery used so still confused on that.

Additionally, Luna says it is a 30amp kit. So correct me if I'm wrong, but the 25a option for the Jumbo shark would be incompatible, therefor I need the 'up to 50a' version?

Bike: Cortello Detroit Bikes CORTELLO • USA MADE

Kit: Bafang BBSHD Mid Drive Ebike Kit standard bracket size w/ hot rod program Bafang BBSHD Mid Drive Ebike Kit

Battery: 14S5P EM3ev Jumbo Shark Battery Type - 52V 13.8AH (14S5P-28A) SHARK (CONTROLLERS UP TO 50A) EM3ev 52V (14S5P) Jumbo Shark Ebike Battery | EM3ev

Alternative Battery: 52V 12.8 AH DOLPHIN EBIKE BATTERY (PANASONIC NCR18650BD CELLS) 52V 12.8 Ah Dolphin Ebike Battery (Panasonic NCR18650BD Cells)

I believe these components are compatible but I would like some second opinions or other tips before pulling the trigger!

I have a Jumbo Shark battery from EM3EV that I am very happy with and they have a good reputation here. So your first battery would be a good choice. I am not familiar with the second seller. Yes, you should get a battery rated at or above the current your controller is rated for.

I have a Jumbo Shark battery from EM3EV that I am very happy with and they have a good reputation here. So your first battery would be a good choice. I am not familiar with the second seller. Yes, you should get a battery rated at or above the current your controller is rated for.
Thank you for the +1 on the company and the confirmation about ratings, one less thing I have to worry about!

You probably cannot find a much better vendor than EM3ev. They're also selling a better battery because it's a 14x5 array, which gives you an extra row of cells over the 14x4 array* of the second battery. While both can supply 30A, the bigger battery can do it with less stress on the cells.

*They don't tell you it's 14S-4P, but you can figure it out from the specs.

Back