Controllers that support Bafang Torque/pas cranks?

whitrzac

1 µW
I have an rei generation e1.1 that has an annoyingly proprietary control system in it. It has a bafan hub motor, torque sensing crank/PAS and a can buss controler.

I was initially going to rip it all out and replace with a vesc and thumb throttle, but the torque sensing crank has grown on me and isn't supported in vesc as far as I can tell.

Are there any 3rd party adjustable controllers that support torque sensing cranks?

Or is cycle analyst still the best way to go?

I was initially going to rip it all out and replace with a vesc and thumb throttle, but the torque sensing crank has grown on me and isn't supported in vesc as far as I can tell.

Are there any 3rd party adjustable controllers that support torque sensing cranks?

Or is cycle analyst still the best way to go?
The CA is probably the most universal way to do TorquePAS. I'm using it with just a cadence sensor on SB Cruiser and it still does almost everything I want it to, other than startup from a complete stop. (but since the system is geared VERY low in case of system failure, that's not really a crippling issue, so I haven't done anything about it yet, even though I already have the TS on the trike).

Which specific sensor does it use, and/or what specific output type does it use?

If it's a canbus-output sensor, I don't know of anything that can read that, so you'd probably have to replace the TS unit too.

Iit's possible I misunderstood the results of this thread (I only glanced thru it just now)
but it appears to be using a torque + cadence sensor along with the VESC ADC input successfully; it has no throttle.

This post
indicates the OSF for Lishui supports TS

Another post in that thread
says casainho created a device/code for giving VESC torque sensor input.

There's other stuff found in this google search but I did not peruse it all; don't know if any of it is relevant or useful.

There are many ways to attach a torque sensor to a controller. You can get Bafang controllers as spare parts from your local dealer. Kunteng, Lishui, ASI have controllers, that work with bottom bracket torque sensors out of the box.

So, there is no need to use additional hardware like the CA.

regards
stancecoke

Back