Crystalyte Dished Hub.. Pictures.

Different style hub caps, and the offset motor looks wider...?

Hey now we're talkin!

You'll have to explain as I'm not exactly sure what to make except that with a free wheel, there will be no rolling resistance right? This would be idea for the back wheel?

It means you can now have a rear wheel Clyte hub motor with a semi-normal amount of gears without making the wheel ultra-fragile. The classic 4X motors require absurd amounts of dishing to put a lot of cogs on them, so if you were to lace it up to accommodate 8 gears and say load it up with 50kg of cargo, then there's a very serious risk to potato chip the wheel. But with offset flanges doing that ought to work out fine, so in this way it's a solid improvement for Clyte rear hubs.

Unfortunately it's still a spin on freewheel instead of a cassette. The problem with screw-on freewheels is that the bearing is far from the fork end, so there's a lot more stress on it. I've broken two such axles on conventional bikes. For the same reason, these have a limited amount of cogs on them, I think 8 is the max you can get. There used to exist some very strong freewheel hubs, notably Maxi, but today they've disappeared, they were high end hubs intended for touring bikes. Nowadays screw-on freewheels are used on low end bikes, mid to high end ones use cassettes. With a cassette system the freewheel is built into the hub, it makes for a lighter hub, you can change a single cog at a time, the mechanism is generally more reliable and it's lot stronger due to the axle length thing.

Edit:
I notice the cables exit on the stronger side, +1
Also, not sure I dig the flower hubcap things.

Hey ypedal!

The 407 is geared taller than 408, right? How fast do you figure it will go in a 26" rim at 52 volts and 20 amps? How does it compare to a 5303?

I'm thinking you should be able to do close to 30 mph but i'm concerned about torque. i'm thinking that any hill would choke the 407 to around 23 mph.

Pic from Brett White's site, if you visualize this mounted on a bike with the tire centred, you can see how there's much less angle to the spokes on the drive side, the wheel pictured above at least partially addresses this issue.
f8cca59d.jpg

Here's a conventional 407 mounted on a rim, from ebikes.ca:
1b4e5ced.jpg

From Justin's site again, an X5. Looks like they fare worse then the 4X'es:
f5f28c37.jpg

Sheldon seems to say modern freewheels are pretty good:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/mega7/

Looks like there's a variety of them to please, too:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/freewheels.html

Edit: Does anyone know if an 11-28 freewheel fits on this hub motor?
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/freewheels.html#7

I just measured my X503, and there's only a 1/16" difference from side cover to the inside of the dropout. Left side is 3/4", right side is 13/16". 135mm dropout spacing and no visible dish on the wheel.

Offsetting the hub looks to be a good idea though.

Another innovation Kenny learned courtsey Tidalforce?

Actually having the motor bulge out the side of the wheel with offset flange I've seen on 50's vintage Italian 49cc in wheel hub two-stroke for bicycle. So it's probably older than that. An example of those that don't learn the lessons of history, etc., etc....

Back