Dual capacitor battery spot welder under 100.00 usd

999zip999

100 TW
I see they have a new dual capacitor spot welder that plugs into 110 v and welds .30mm nickel ?
Has anyone bought and used this spot welder or one like it ?
There are other ones cheaper and some have more options.

P.S. battery hookup took this spot welder down because they sold out

Last edited:
I see they have a new dual capacitor spot welder that plugs into 110 v and welds .30mm nickel ?
Has anyone bought and used this spot welder or one like it ?
There are other ones cheaper and some have more options.
Google it look for videos you will probably find a couple of reviews on you tube from people who buy stuff test it then put up a (sometimes Long) video reviews of it.

K

Yeah I hit up YouTube and Google and I couldn't find any reviews of the exact welder I'm talking about but they have them for sale all over eBay Alibaba and Amazon but I haven't been able to find a review. Before I buy. As I've seen so much junk out there and some of it is made for European 240v circuit and not the 110v of America like the two blue capacitor spot welder. Here is the spot welder on eBay as when battery hookup sold out they took it off their website

Last edited:
Try dif searches, (try just spot welding cells) and sort thru the crap, if they have been around for more than a few months it's almost certain to have a few reviews.

In our older thread we talked about this b4 you rightly moved it

And I made some comments about the design and danger of fully charged caps. You can sort of ( only sort of) ignore those comments about the danger in capacitors, where this design is concerned, but understand they can hold lethal charge. When I quickly looked at this it looked like another one I had seen before a long time ago. With that one you hold like a tattoo gun, brilliant one hand operation, both electrodes fixed the the body of the machine, AND I MISTOOK IT FOR A DERIVATIVE OF THAT, (but I only looked quickly). In that design (which this isn't) a potentially sweaty palm would be wrapped around two BIG uncased caps, which is really could be potentially lethal, BUT THIS IS DIFFERENT, you don't hold onto it, you use leads like mine, so far less of an issue, but be aware of the charge the fully charged caps hold and don't risk shorting them, you may not get a fire like with the battery cells, but you will get a fierce explosion, I accidentally did it with a much smaller cap than in that welder, it was a blinding flash and the debris from the cap covered the entire room. As safety glasses are only a couple of $ I would wear them (I do when using mine).

Keith

PS The only other comment is you might want to extend the leads, like most of these fairly low cost welders they are a bit short, if you do make sure to use a similar (or better as you are extending them) current cable, (I used the cables from an old car jump start pack that was dead in my garage, pure copper, very high current carrying) If you put a joint in the cable, solder it then shrink wrap it with a couple of layers of SW, or if you have any self amalgamating tape, (not sticky tape, wrap the rubber tape tight round the joint then roll the joint in your fingers and the rubber amalgamates with itself forming a solid rubber coating, its cheap to buy now (used to cost a fortune) and has been used to make waterproofs joint underwater, so its good stuff. Or alternatively buy some suitable cable and the correct connectors then replace the entire leads.

But if you buy it you can obviously try it with the leads that come with it first, just be aware its east to extend them if they are uncomfortably short. If you extend them you will probably need to slightly increase the weld power, that will be adjustable on the device. No big deal.

Only 50 bucks on aliexpress. Not even walking around money. I might try one, Claims to be dual pulse like the Kweld design. Leads look too thin and not long enough, but I got plenty of leads from failed spot welders. I think the tradeoff will be how many welds you can do before the caps run down. Needs a 5V supply capable of several amps, On second thought, I doubt that the pcb board traces are heavy enough to sustain spot welding currents of 200-300 amps.

Plenty of info in this ad.

Yeah I hit up YouTube and Google and I couldn't find any reviews of the exact welder I'm talking about but they have them for sale all over eBay Alibaba and Amazon but I haven't been able to find a review. Before I buy. As I've seen so much junk out there and some of it is made for European 240v circuit and not the 110v of America like the two blue capacitor spot welder. Here is the spot welder on eBay as when battery hookup sold out they took it off their website

I had a quick look for you, and could not immediately see a review of the one you are interested in.

First suggestion there are lots of videos on how to make a capacitor spot welder, I KNOW YOU WANT ONE OUT OF THE BOX, but if you ignore the how to make it part of the video, and get to how they weld, that at least would give you an idea, and of course yours "SHOULD" be better than a DIY job, so its a starting point.

I did stumble across this which is not the one you are looking at but is a low cost "Out of the Box" spot welder.

Low cost out of the box spot welder

K

If you see something you really like that's 240 v ASK THE SUPPLIER IF IT HAS A VOLTAGE SELECTION SWITCH, a lot have a tiny almost hidden little switch that you can slide with a screwdriver to select 110 voltage, (they would not want to exclude the massive US market)

K

Out of curiosity are you bathroom shaver points dual voltage 110 and 240 all the ones in europe are, so you could fit one of them where you are welding, they have a built in isolating transformer, so they can be safely used in damp conditions like bathrooms, but not a bad thing anywhere.

Found this one mentioned in another thread that was recommended it's about the same price as the one you were looking at
Battery spot welder
Not dual cap type but "looks" Well developed, with a list of the improvements that have been made during its existence, see what you think. and various accessories. Certainly worth a look
K

Doc That's quite informative for a sales ad that's the one I'm going to end up getting. Lucifer thanks for those other vets especially the guy with the black box he was kind of interesting a little long. And that other welder it takes an adrenal screen plus I don't know how all that work.
I went to the ranch and I kind of twisted one knee when I got up my stairs I ended up twisting both knees I'm out of commission for a little while.
Plus I have three 72 volt batteries a 52v and two 48 v
I guess just because I want a spot doesn't mean I need to get it.
Plus after two years Cyc pro1gen2 is going to send me their new working controller for my kit for $90. As they admit the ASI BAC 855 Bluetooth controller doesn't work it's blocked up . I wish they would have told me their controller doesn't work earlier. Well at least it should be plug and Play in 60 amps venting.

Last edited:
Doc That's quite informative for a sales ad that's the one I'm going to end up getting. Lucifer thanks for those other vets especially the guy with the black box he was kind of interesting a little long.

Yr welcome you helped me, (thanks) trying to give something back, but the more I discover about Li.*, the less I realise I know. I have found that "MANY" of the Youtube videos are "A BIT OVERLY LONG :sleep:" But once you realise someone knows what they are talking about, (and if you can hear and understand the sound track ..... LOL... :mad:) they often eventually contain real gems and good info, if you can persist and dig it out from the "Verbarge".
And that other welder it takes an adrenal screen plus I don't know how all that work.
I went to the ranch and I kind of twisted one knee when I got up my stairs I ended up twisting both knees I'm out of commission for a little while.
Sorry to hear that, welcome to my world, couldn't walk for five years due to frostbite, nearly lost right leg from the knee down, but I'm a very determined person (or pig headed and stubborn depending who you ask), so kept the leg but ankle joint is still stiff and restricted after a couple of years. But I needed physio to be able to walk again. Got over that but hadn't noticed the hip on the other side has worn out a bit and will need replacing soon as I can no longer put up with is. Hence needing to get an e-bike working ASAP (which one now is, it's busy testing the various batteries I now have, but doing useful runs every day...... FREEDOM)
Plus I have three 72 volt batteries a 52v and two 48 v
I guess just because I want a spot doesn't mean I need to get it.
Well a man's gotta have his toys LOL. but at least it means you can take the time and do the necessary research to get the right one for you. You are not forced to make a snap or hasty decision. I would suggest once you are sure you found the one you want. Put up another thread in the right place asking if anyone has bought one and what they think, there is bound to be a couple of members who own one and can give you first hand feedback on it.

Plus after two years Cyc pro1gen2 is going to send me their new working controller for my kit for $90. As they admit the ASI BAC 855 Bluetooth controller doesn't work it's blocked up . I wish they would have told me their controller doesn't work earlier. Well at least it should be plug and Play in 60 amps venting.
Not cheap, either. Hope Knees get better soon.

K

Interesting, it says it has 5 FETs but only shows two so I assume there are 3 more on the bottom of the board? Either way I think the quality really comes down to how well the FETs are driven which seems to be the downfall of all of these cheap spot welders.

Based on the apparent lack of a capacitor to keep the FETs driven while the voltage drops in the super caps I don't have high hopes it will be any more reliable than the cheap battery spot welders without modification. I just don't understand why they don't fix the issue, it's so simple. The 5V that welder uses is barely enough to properly drive the FETs in the first place and the voltage drop when you weld is going to drop way below what is needed to keep those FETs on. It would be possible to power it from the power supply with enough current limiting to prevent the power supply from dropping voltage but based on the fact they tell you not to use the welder while connected to USB for charging that seems pretty unlikely.

Interesting, it says it has 5 FETs but only shows two so I assume there are 3 more on the bottom of the board? Either way I think the quality really comes down to how well the FETs are driven which seems to be the downfall of all of these cheap spot welders.

Based on the apparent lack of a capacitor to keep the FETs driven while the voltage drops in the super caps I don't have high hopes it will be any more reliable than the cheap battery spot welders without modification. I just don't understand why they don't fix the issue, it's so simple.
Amen to that, it literally takes what 5 mins to solder an extra cap in place (even as a DIY retro fit), assuming someone else has worked out where to solder it. So once that's well known and being widely done on a DIY retro fit basis, WTF don't the makers just steal the mod and do it in the first place ??????

K

Sorry about that then, I must admit I didn't study it, I found one review that recommended it and on first glance it just looked like the one you were originally considering but better and cheaper, but I knew you would check it out properly before spending any money on it.

I think from memory I posted this before the other different type that I found that appeared to have continual development, which looked very encouraging, and I think you liked the other one. Again from memory I think I found the second one from a link DocW009 put up somewhere.

It certainly appears the best basic advice to anyone buying anything, is don't buy something that has literally just hit the market. WAIT till a few people have bought it, tried it and reviewed it, and the more the better. That way at least you get a fighting chance if not buying rubbish.

K

Last edited:
Took a while to find the thread again, I'm new to forums, but finally worked out how to do it (easy and obvious with hindsight). Until now I have mainly been using the alert bell, but because I have been busy building and not posting, the bell ran out of replies for me to go to.

Wasn't looking for this just found by accident, looked on E-bay Uk and they are very cheap (if you had the leads you can buy board only for UNDER £10) or the full kit under £15. They appear to do several models some much dearer about £50 (but still reasonable)

This is a review Of the cheapest one I stumbled across

At that price from a cost point of view they are more or less a disposable item

I haven't researched this at all but thought you might like to because I think its the latest entry to that market and it looks promising

On e-bay look for....... 99 Gears Adjustable Spot Welding or Welder

Has anyone tried these?

Keith

That's unbelievable on the price. But I would like the dual capacitor as they're easy to charge on a 110 American circuit. It looks like it would take 4 capacitors to get the voltage. I do have a lead battery for a car and I could make up other batteries to 12 volt that would be compatible lifepo4.

This is a review Of the cheapest one I stumbled across

At that price from a cost point of view they are more or less a disposable item

I haven't researched this at all but thought you might like to because I think its the latest entry to that market and it looks promising

Has anyone tried these?
I saw a youtube review where someone claimed he was welding .15 nickel and copper. I bought one last Fall, and it blew up immediately on .15 mm nickel. I didn't bother filing an aliexpress dispute for $20 USD. maybe I should have. Instead, I bought a replacement circuit card for half price. It seemed it had enough power to punch thru .20 mm nickel, which was all I needed, but I could not do anything with .10 mm copper on .10 nickel. Then it blew up during a battery build. Went back to my red welder.

There is room on the back for extra MOSFET's in parallel. Probably should have added them, but my eyes aren't good enough to do do manual SMD soldering these days. I used to do it at work 24 years ago.

I saw a youtube review where someone claimed he was welding .15 nickel and copper. I bought one last Fall, and it blew up immediately on .15 mm nickel. I didn't bother filing an aliexpress dispute for $20 USD. maybe I should have. Instead, I bought a replacement circuit card for half price. It seemed it had enough power to punch thru .20 mm nickel, which was all I needed, but I could not do anything with .10 mm copper on .10 nickel. Then it blew up during a battery build. Went back to my red welder.

There is room on the back for extra MOSFET's in parallel. Probably should have added them, but my eyes aren't good enough to do do manual SMD soldering these days. I used to do it at work 24 years ago.
Thanks my original one is still working perfectly so far btw, the one i did the mods to, . But as it was cheap I keep expecting it to fail, so even though this was an accidental find and I thought 999Zip might be interested, It was so cheap I was thinking of getting it as a spare. But based on your experience with it sounds like its not worth the effort. I might but another one of the ones I already bought. Modify it and have two of them instead, the mods were easy once you worked it out, and I wouldn't have to modify the leads this time, never going to use two at once.

BTW Everything going well her, done loads, but got enough good 18650 to build another battery, they would take less space and be better stored as a finished battery, hence thinking..... Bet this will finally fail half way through the job, so might get a spare, but will either get another one same as before, or just keep using mine.... who knows, might last years, done thousands of welds with it so far, lost count.

Keith

Back