Ebike with 240W motor came with 72V 30A lead acid battery. Can I replace the battery with 72V 24A Li-Iron- phosphate battery? What specs to look at?

Swapnilvv

1 µW
Hi I have an Ebike called NKE bike model Ninja-3. it came with 72V 30A lead acid battery (6 x 12 V batteries). It shows 72V on the display. Its motor is 250W. I want to replace it with Li-iron-phosphate battery, since it is safer and cheaper than Li-ion and faster charging than Lead acid . I want to know if i can use a 60V 30 A or 72V 24A battery for it. If not what specifications shoul i be checking to get new battery. I use the bike for 50km on weekends only with 2 people on it. Please let me know ASAP. My bike has broken down for 2 months now.

Hi I have an Ebike called NKE bike model Ninja-3. it came with 72V 30A lead acid battery (6 x 12 V batteries). It shows 72V on the display. Its motor is 250W. I want to replace it with Li-iron-phosphate battery, since it is safer and cheaper than Li-ion and faster charging than Lead acid . I want to know if i can use a 60V 30 A or 72V 24A battery for it. If not what specifications shoul i be checking to get new battery. I use the bike for 50km on weekends only with 2 people on it. Please let me know ASAP. My bike has broken down for 2 months now.
I feel your pain, how much space do you have on the bike for batteries? Also, 72V seems very high for only 250W.

Generally, you just need to closely match the voltage. I had a similar situation with a 24v SLA Batt; I just bought 2 x 12v Li-Po (iron-phosphate) ran them in series to get my 24v. For 72v you will need 6 x 12v batteries, run in series. Amperage will cost and weigh more, so go as high as you can afford.
You can also double up on batts, and run some in parallel to increase you amperage.
Although you can charge a series group, with the high voltage (72v), You will occasionally need to charge the individual batteries with a 12v Li-Po charger, to make sure the individual batteries/cells, get their proper charge.
It is worth the effort to build this battery, as it will be lighter, provide greater range, and can probably be charged 3000-5000 times.
Li-On batts, used on most e-bike battery packs, are more expensive, and will last about 1/2 as long as Li-Po; but are a little lighter, with a longer range.

Back