eGoldwing

what kind of motor should I be looking at since that determines everything else.
Have you looked at the QS180? The Goldwing could use an even bigger motor than the 180 but something to consider.

Also is it possible to build it with maybe 5kwh of batteries and very limited range initially and add 2 more modular battery packs later to expand the range when I have more money?

I wouldn’t waste your time on a 5kwh battery for a GW. I would say double of that around 10 kWh which equals to a very expensive and heavy battery.

I think this project would be very possible but will take more than a 4k budget. Like others have stated, the lack of aerodynamics is going to be a huge obstacle, and you’ll need extra power to overcome.

Have you looked at the QS180? The Goldwing could use an even bigger motor than the 180 but something to consider.

I wouldn’t waste your time on a 5kwh battery for a GW. I would say double of that around 10 kWh which equals to a very expensive and heavy battery.

I think this project would be very possible but will take more than a 4k budget. Like others have stated, the lack of aerodynamics is going to be a huge obstacle, and you’ll need extra power to overcome.
The qs180 is rated at 8kw continuous? Think that’ll be enough for highway speed? I was thinking I’d need a lot more than that.

The qs180 is rated at 8kw continuous? Think that’ll be enough for highway speed? I was thinking I’d need a lot more than that.
Well qs rates there motors way low.
Example the qs138 is rated for 3kw but can peek at 35kw. Not continuous, but for short periods.
I’ve pushed the qs138 at 12kW “continuous” without overheating.

The qs180 can handle more than 8kw continuous.
I’m not sure how long it could handle highway speeds though. There’s several dirtbike builds with the qs180 maybe someone can chime in.

Well qs rates there motors way low.
Example the qs138 is rated for 3kw but can peek at 35kw. Not continuous, but for short periods.
I’ve pushed the qs138 at 12kW “continuous” without overheating.

The qs180 can handle more than 8kw continuous.
I’m not sure how long it could handle highway speeds though. There’s several dirtbike builds with the qs180 maybe someone can chime in.
I just used this site "Calculate HP For Speed" using the numbers CoE = 1.2, Frontal Area, 10 sq. ft., 800 lbs, 80 mph, and got that it should take 41.94 hp to overcome air drag. I overestimated on all of those numbers to give me a worst case scenario. 41.94 hp converts to 30.85 kw. Assuming 90% efficiency which seems to be normal for electric motors, I would need a 35 kw continuous motor.

Using numbers closer to what is recommended, I get about 25 kw.

Last edited:
Yeah, that sounds about right. Also, considering the extra wind drag from the front end of a GW.

have you seen the ME1616?
I don’t know a lot about this motor but I hear it needs to be ran at least 90v but 100+v is better. It has an encoder instead of hall sensors, so it would need the right controller like VESC based controller or Sevcon Gen4.

Here’s a link to the motor. I’m not sure about this company/reseller but just so you can see the specs of the motor.

Yeah, that sounds about right. Also, considering the extra wind drag from the front end of a GW.

have you seen the ME1616?
I don’t know a lot about this motor but I hear it needs to be ran at least 90v but 100+v is better. It has an encoder instead of hall sensors, so it would need the right controller like VESC based controller or Sevcon Gen4.

Here’s a link to the motor. I’m not sure about this company/reseller but just so you can see the specs of the motor.
I was literally just looking at that one. This is why I am here though, I don't know much about the different types of electric motors or their controllers so I didn't know if it was suitable.

I was literally just looking at that one. This is why I am here though, I don't know much about the different types of electric motors or their controllers so I didn't know if it was suitable.
I would like to see the performance difference between the ME1616 vs the QS180. I would think the ME1616 can handle more continuous power because of the water cooling. Plus it’s a few pounds heavier than the QS180. That being said, I still think the QS180 could be a good option for your bike I’m just not sure how long you could sustain continuous highway speeds without water cooling.

For controller your best option would be 3Shul controller. Either the, CL1400 or CL1000.
You can run 30s,108v nominal with these controllers.

Back