First Ride of Year - AWESOME - Sun Ez CX - Dual pings

Having obtained my second PING battery from China just before Christmas, and having broken it in slowly, I gave the dual PING configuration a test:

(Connected in parallel via ebikes.ca Schottkey diode (no longer available unfortunately))

Location: Fairfield - Victoria B.C., via Galloping Goose trail, Victoria BC, and Prospect Lake Road, Old West Saanich Road, to Sidney, back to Victoria on Lochside

Conditions: 10C, dry, overcast

Total batteries carried: Dual Ping 48 15Ahr, in parallel

Bike: EZ Sport CX recumbent, always pedalled (24 speed bike), Big Apple rear tire, Crystallyte 405 front motor with Marathon Plus tire.

Controller: Crystallyte analog 35 amp controller

Percent of time with human assist/pedaling: 100%

Terrain: mostly flat with about 5 miles of quite hilly terrain. Sections of loose gravel, mostly paved.

Total distance: 49.43 miles

Total Watt hours: 759.9

Average watt hrs/mile: 15.4

Maximum wattage observed on CA (on big hill) 1360

Max speed 31.4 mph Cruising consistently in low to mid 20s

CA Amp limit: 36 amps ................ Max Amps seen: 48.29 (could feel amp limit kick in when max amps overshot the limit).

Lowest voltage: 47.8 Highest voltage: 60.1 with surface charge after charging, 53.2 no surface charge.

End voltage (stationary): 52.3 volts

Beers consumed: 2 "Herman's Dark" with Green salad, burger.

This was a very satisfactory run, as I believe I used just less than half of my total battery capacity, although this could be more than half as the second half would be delivered at a much lower voltage on average, so lets say 65% to be conservative. So my total range would be estimated to be: 76 miles.

Both batteries on average were well below 1C, preserving their health.

An absolutely lovely ride to kick off the new year. The recumbent is very comfortable and you can carry a lot of battery to go easy on them without worrying much about range. I could probably leech about 6 amp hours off the grid on the ferry to Vancouver, so this puts Vancouver well within range, as well as the San Juan Islands, from Victoria.

Congrats on your new long touring bike. The way i understand is you now have a total of 30 Ahrs? that would be about 30lbs of batteries.

Anyhow, you have the exact same bike as I, except mine is the Canadian clone, upgraded from Cambie Cycle. Love this bike for converting to ebikes, total comfort and lots of room for batteries.

I even have similar front wheel drive motor (406) but only reach 45km/h or 28mph, perhaps your extra amp/hrs is lifting your speed.

A 9-C motor is going to replace the existing 406 after many years flawless work just for fun to see the diference beteen the two.

Nice, I will soon have dual pings, but one 36 -20 and one 48 -15, so I'll run em seprarately. At low speeds, like 15 mph, I should be able to reach the next town. Here, they are often 60 miles apart. Including housings, about 35 pounds of batteries. Ebikekit 9x7 motor on a fs mtb. Some of the rides I want to do will involve climbing from 4000' to 9000'. So I'll need to carry refreshments for while I wait for the motor to cool.

Right, 30 AHrs of battery. It is rather heavy (around 30 pounds) but I think it is definitely worth carrying two of them, due to the lower C rates they run at, and the higher amp draw possible. You certainly don't notice the extra weight when moving, only when balancing the stationary bike and locking it - but they are quite low down, about two feet above the ground. Plus I like the redundancy if anything goes wrong battery wise.The recumbino clones look nice, I've been looking at the 20/16 recumbinis - I imagine you have the 26/20 model. I have a 20/16 rebike clunker, and it is nice for hacking around town - I've got a 9C on that one. I think a 9C is best on the front on these recumbents, for balance, as I can detect noticeable vibration on my butt on the rebike which has a rear 9C. And the dual batteries can go right under the seat, leaving the rear rack available for panniers/basket. I think I'll go back to the 404 on that one, on the front. I've done two 9C rear conversions now, and they are rather tricky, at least for me.

Back