Help me Electrify it!!

Chrisheuer said:
I’m inclined to just have them lace the wheel using their rim.
Who is "them"?

What is "their rim"? (and what spokes would "they" use?)

Which rim (and spokes) would your local wheel builder use?

That information may help you determine if either wheel build would be better than the other.

Regarding "worth" or cost, if they would be identical wheels built just as good as each other then whichever option is cheaper costs less. Whichever one is better built is "worth" more. ;)

Hi, Yes, Grin does a great job of rim builds, and their costs are low. However, to ship a complete wheel instead of just a hub will cost a bit more. One other thing to consider is rim selection. Grin mostly deals in Alex and Crystalite rims. If you have a specific rim in mind you might want to just order the motor from them.

Lots of threads on endless sphere on which are good rims, you can get it laced locally if they work on non store bought ebike parts. Many dont, many turn their noses up and turn their back but times they are changing. You can also learn to lace a hub motor yourself, lots of videos on youtube about it, heck even Grin made a video on how to lace a hub motor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OialWggZJo&feature=youtu.be

Its always cheaper to ship just the hub motor itself then a hub motor laced to a rim.

Hi All I'm in the process of putting together an order from grin tech . Gmac and phaserunner and I guess I don't know if I need or want pedal assist or throttle or both.
This is for a disability bike for my daughter [see pic] .
My goals are to be able to maintain a steady speed lets say 10-12 mph max . I've had her out on the bike and have no problem getting up to speed on the flats but once I get the motor on is using just throttle to maintain speed practical?
Am I going to regret not having pedal assist down the road?
Is using just the throttle "safer" than pac.
I want to keep it as simple as possible but want a comfortable riding experience on longer trail rides.
Any input is greatly appreciated.IMG_1118.JPG

Currently riding a bike with both PAS and half-twist throttle. Best of both worlds kind of situation. Simply PAS most of the time, getting on the throttle for hill climbing, crossing intersections, etc. Releasing the throttle reverts back to PAS.

Second best was my previous build that had only half-twist throttle, but with cruise control. Worked well but required a bit more attention and focused concentration.

Chrisheuer said:
My goals are to be able to maintain a steady speed lets say 10-12 mph max . I've had her out on the bike and have no problem getting up to speed on the flats but once I get the motor on is using just throttle to maintain speed practical?
Am I going to regret not having pedal assist down the road?
Is using just the throttle "safer" than pac.
I want to keep it as simple as possible but want a comfortable riding experience on longer trail rides.

If you want to keep it as simple as possible, you picked the wrong controller. Phaserunner is optimized for configurability, not simplicity.

But for the dumbish Chinese controllers I use, implementing PAS is no harder than installing a sensor on the bottom bracket and plugging it into the appropriate cable on the controller. If you think you'll enjoy having it, might as well add it.

On my bike that doesn't have PAS, I set the controller parameters to limit the throttle according to the display's PAS level setting. That way I can cruise with the throttle held all the way down, but only use partial throttle.

Hi I’ve got a triangle shape Em3ev 52 volt 20amph . I got that shape because I may want to use it on another mt bike build. I’m ofthinking mounting that same battery on the front part of the 3 wheel cargo bike and using an extension cord to get it to the controller. Any suggestions on wire gauge for a 4 foot run ? Thanks

Back