HK Improved Lipo

dougie.com

1 µW
Hello all,
HK has a NEW Lipo battery,

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__1415__85__Batteries_Accessories-Turnigy_BOLT.html?utm_campaign=060814.USW&utm_content=2398771500&utm_medium=email&utm_source=EDM

Well it is certainly more expensive.
otherDoc

No price too high to win a race. Odd that you joined ES just to show us these.

these hiC packs are of no use for ebikes, they are for RC helicopters imo.

i think it is always best to keep the discharge under 4-5C and you could buy 4 of the 20C lipoly for the same price and have the same current as this one, and go 4 times the distance.

With features such as gold plated balance leads, silver plated discharge wires and a reformulated matrix to allow you to safely charge them up to 4.35 volts per cell!

I thought that was interesting.

Those look quite nice, but they're also insanely expensive. A 72V nominal 21-22Ah pack of these would require 28 of the 3S 5400mAh modules at $70 apiece, or 36 of the 4S 3450mAh modules at $60 apiece, and will cost you $1960 (or $2160 if you take the second option). For that price you might as well get 240 of the A123 26650 cells and make a 72V-23Ah pack for $2100. It'll add a bit of weight (a 72V 23Ah pack from A123 26650s will weigh 40.1lbs as opposed to 39.6lbs for one made out of the 4S 3450mAh LiPo modules or 36.3lbs made out of the 3S 5400mAh LiPo modules), but you'll get well over a thousand cycles down to 90% DOD out of the A123s at 10C (and they're rated to take 50C discharge, 30C charge safely). Basically, if you want to get a pack together that can dump a lot of current then you're best off going either the low-C Hobbyking LiPo route (heavy and not super great quality, but lets you get a ton of capacity for cheap), or go the A123 LiFePO4 route (quite expensive per amp-hour of capacity, but insanely high quality and capable of super high sustained current).

Bear in mind, this is not just a bike forum. Like I said, no price too high to win a race.

Not for ebike commuters obviously.

dogman said:
Bear in mind, this is not just a bike forum. Like I said, no price too high to win a race.

These would be banned from the Australian RC Car official races. Not sure if they'd be legal elsewhere, or for helicopter races.

But you're right on one thing. I showed a friend of mine these, and he said that some people will cycle a battery on a bench a few times, then only use it for one serious race, and after that, it's a training pack, or thrown out. I asked him to put me in touch with the guys that throw them out!

Sunder said:
dogman said:

These would be banned from the Australian RC Car official races. Not sure if they'd be legal elsewhere, or for helicopter races.

But you're right on one thing. I showed a friend of mine these, and he said that some people will cycle a battery on a bench a few times, then only use it for one serious race, and after that, it's a training pack, or thrown out. I asked him to put me in touch with the guys that throw them out!

Seriously??? That's an incredibly wasteful practice, but if they want to dispose of quality LiPos that have only been cycled a few times on a bench and only run hard once they should seriously get in touch with us!

ARod1993 said:
Sunder said:
dogman said:

Seriously??? That's an incredibly wasteful practice, but if they want to dispose of quality LiPos that have only been cycled a few times on a bench and only run hard once they should seriously get in touch with us!

I would say the average number of uses I've had for an RC Helicopter is 5 flights to total destruction. My average RC car perhaps 10 drives to total destruction. Very fast RC planes I average under 3 flights average to total destruction. That typically includes the battery being destroyed as well.

When you impact solid objects at 60-150mph with RC stuff, they self-disassemble with a high level of completeness.

I'm afraid I must agree with LFP. I used to fly electric glider European style F3E and F5E and it was quite competitive, fierce in fact. I finally had to stop when my vision went south, and I put a 12 pound glider straight in from 500 feet or so. Lost it in clear sky. It made a 3 foot hole and narrowly (20 feet) missed our good friends Jeep Cherokee. He owns the polo field where contests were held. Plane was destroyed. I then went on to model railroading and, surprise, electric bikes and trikes.
Had the plane hit the jeep it would have gone right through it and into the ground. Needless to say the LiPo batteries did not survive, but they didn't burn either. I think it was a 6S 5000 mah pack powering an Astroflight Samarium Cobalt 40 size motor.
This ended my model airplane career, definitely safer now.
otherDoc

Sunder said:
dogman said:

They are not that usefull... 120C, this means it'll be empty in 30 seconds, but to bike to work I need batteries that last 1.5 hours

:mrgreen:

Probably a welcomed addition for the electric skateboard crowd. End of the day it will meet some ES bikers needs, but certainly not a crowd pleaser.

nechaus said:
yeah, I agree, they are not that useful.
unless they weigh less ??? or more ?

Bolt
Capacity: 5400mAh
Voltage: 6S1P / 6 Cell / 22.8V
Discharge: 65C Constant / 130C Burst
Weight: 821.2g

Nano
Capacity: :5000mAh
Voltage: 6S1P / 6 Cell / 22.2V
Discharge: 65C Constant / 130C Burst
Weight:844g

Back