Injecting Statorade on GMAC motor.

P3yot3

100 mW
Hi all.

I'm running a GMAC 10T on my trike & would like to inject it with Statorade due to slight overheating on the many hills in my area, but have a couple of questions for the community here before I proceed. I've watched a Grin tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZU-mhlNcqE) that mentions that all Grin motors have a hole in one of the disc brake mountings that allows for injection of Statorade without the need for drilling a hole, which I really don't want to do if I can help it.
So, first question is: Does anyone know if there is some kind of marker that indicates which disc mounting hole has the injection point & if so, what is it I'm looking for?

The reason I ask is because I'd rather do the Statorade injection without removing the hub/wheel assembly by simply removing the correct disc mount bolt (if it's marked) instead of undoing maybe 5 bolts until I find the correct one to inject the Statorade into.

Secondly: What's the typical ml measurement used for a GMAC 10T motor?

Thanks for any feedback/answers.

P3yot3 said:
Hi all.

I'm running a GMAC 10T on my trike & would like to inject it with Statorade due to slight overheating on the many hills in my area, but have a couple of questions for the community here before I proceed.

For some reason, I was under the impression that the GMAC is a geared hub motor with a locked clutch.
https://ebikes.ca/product-info/grin-products/statorade.html

Statorade will definitely help. EDIT: The GMAC is geared, so statorade will not help.

Another option for future builds is to use a smaller diameter driven wheel, like a 20-inch. Even going from a 26-inch down to a 24 is a help.

Of course thats a major change, but its worth keeping in mind for a few years from now, if you decide to get a different ebike.

Ergo, I would not put stator aid in a MAC. Seen it tried and within an hour it found it's way out. It is easy to add. Maybe the higher rotor RPM and gear splash, not sure. Here is what the innards look like:
MAC10T_Planetary.jpg

MAC_10T_Coils.jpg

Can you provide a little more detail on the system and ride profile?
Just in case there may be something contributing to the heat you weren't aware of.

I run a MAC 10T on a Scorpion FS26 at a pretty hard pace on extended hillclimbs. Phaserunner @ 35A., 52V 14AH battery.
My ride profiles average 4-5% grades with a few 100-400 foot climbs at 8-12%.
Average speed of 15-16 MPH, Peak watts 1850-2100, WH/M=14, HumanWH/M=2 (7:1)

On those rides I get a Delta T of about 105° F on the coils over ambient; yesterday was about 75° and the data shows coil temp peak at 187°. That comes from the thermistor; can't vouch for the accuracy but it is consistent and after 5000 miles there is no sign of overheating. Can't say the same for the batteries and connectors its fried along the way. The MAC seems to take all I throw at it, although at walk/jog pace up hills it does run hotter. This video is from one of the short stretches of branch rods I ride to give you an example:
http://www.triketech.com/Drivetrain/PowerAssist/MAC/MacHillClimbWeb.mp4

spinningmagnets said:
Statorade will definitely help.

If the GMAC is geared, GRIN says it won't help it:
"Will this work in geared hub motors or mid-drive motor systems?
No, not really. Geared hub motors do not have their rotor shell exposed to ambient air, so increasing the heat conductivity from the motor stator to the rotor does not help get the heat to ambient air outside. Similarly, most mid-drive motors (like the Bafang BBSXX) are inrunners, where the magnets and rotor are on the inside and the heat generating stator, and conducting heat to them would serve no purpose. The benefits of Statorade are really only present for outrunner motors (magnets on the outside) where the rotor is exposed to air flow."

Grin just contacted me - don't use Statorade in a GMAC.

Cooling fins it is then.....

Oh well. Thanks anyway you guys.

Back