Install a #40 sprocket onto a MY-1020 motor

Jmc

1 µW
The MY-1020 e-motor utilizes a double D, 8.5mm X 10mm sprocket. I have seen #40 sprockets with that bore which I could install but….. the reason to change sprockets is to enable stronger chain. I’m just speculating that the standard #25 chain that came with the 800watt motor may be to weak for the purpose. The build is a utility type Kart for yard work, light load hauling, pulling a 4 wheel yard trailer.
Using two 800 watt motors, one per rear wheel, 11 tooth drive sprocket, 60 tooth sprocket attached to wheel. Any opinions on this setup?
Thank you

It's fairly likely the chain itself can deal with the torque if you are using typical gear ratios. If you're using higher ratios than usual, placing more torque strain on the chain itself, or lower ratios, spinning it a lot faster than normal, it may wear faster.

If you think you will have high torque loads, consider that these motors are pretty cheaply made, and may themselves have trouble doing that...but if the sprocket and chain will fit, and handles the load you want to put on them, and the extra weight isn't a factor, there's nothing wrong with overbuilding. ;)

Whether or not a particular motor/controller/battery/gearing is good for your needs or not, I couldn't say--but you can use calculators / simulators like those at ebikes.ca to guesstimate whether they will. SInce the stuff you have isn't in the sim, you'd need to approximate their properties with the Custom fields, and use the middrive option so you can put your gear ratios in.

I agree with above that 25 chain is probably fine, but if you wanted a stronger chain I'd probably go with 35 on those motors. You'll find a lot more options than with 420/428.

I think getting enough reduction ratio to do what you want will be difficult with the larger chain. While two 800W motors should offer plenty of gross power, with only a 5.45:1 reduction a 3000 RPM motor will drive the wheel at 550 RPM. That's too much speed and it implies insufficient torque (thrust/tractive effort/bollard pull) as a result.

If you use two-stage reduction, then there's no real issue with having #25 chain on the first stage, and then using something bigger for the second stage.

Last edited:
You're assuming a lot. There's no vehicle weight, voltage or wheel diameter mentioned. The my1020s wouldn't have to spin to 3000rpm to make 800watts each, and you can find 35 sprockets bigger than 60t. And 550 rpm on an 11" tire is only 18mph, which could be pretty reasonable for 1600w depending on total weight.

You said yard cart, which means donut wheels are out (because they won't roll over off road irregularities). And 18mph is only reasonable for 1600W if weight is (relatively) low, surfaces are firm, and there aren't significant slopes. Perhaps that describes your situation, but you didn't say. And it doesn't describe the average "yard cart", "load hauling" situation.

My experience with Unite motors is that they're rated for either 3000 RPM or 2650 RPM. Maybe there are other windings, but those are the ones I've had in my possession.

I apologize, I was assuming we were talking about the brushless my1020. I forgot that this "unite" motor shared the my1020 name and I have 0 experience with it.
FWIW, my my1020 spins to about 4700 on 72v, so about 2350 on a hypothetical 36v setup. I thought 2 of that could work well for what's been described here, but obviously that depends on your personal definition of things like "yard cart" and "load hauling". I weigh 130lbs, so I've been imagining something riding mower size that could carry me and maybe 150-250lbs on a ~3'x4' bed.

Chain strength ? A good place to start is a web search for "roller chain strength chart"
Compare the difference between standard industrial chains and performance motorcycle chains.
Tensile strength can be dramatically different.
i.e. a good brand small chain may be fine.
D.I.D. brand is a favorite.
A stronger chain will last longer.
Small motor sprocket is the highest wear item in the system, use a quality heat treated sprocket.

Using two 800 watt motors, one per rear wheel, 11 tooth drive sprocket, 60 tooth sprocket attached to wheel. Any opinions on this setup?
Thank you
Like Chalo said, would greatly benefit from more gear reduction.

Ideally twice as much. But you’re not going to achieve it without a double reduction and I don’t see enough benefit in your application of going to and living with that trouble, because you can more easily achieve the torque by way of a 90t cog and dumping more current into the motors (with forced cooling if heat becomes an issue).

In short, I’d stick with #25, single reduction. You can buy 90t #25H sprockets. I haven’t tried smaller than 11t, and never will/would.

800 watt would be the “36v” brushed motor. It’ll have plenty of torque at the RPM you’ll be spinning it.

25H chain holds together in these applications without breaking, just has terrible wear life. I’ve only used dirt cheap no brand chain though.

Either way, even if you can find a source of quality chain, I’d recommend incorporating a well conceived chain (re)tensioning mechanism to make adjustments quick and easy.

Idlers will unlikely be useful. The runout that you get with these roughly machined parts makes idlers too noisy IME.

I’ve used brushed 24v and 48v, and brushless 60v MY1020s on tandem scooters, golf carts, and towed trailers up hills with them. They’re capable of producing decent torque for decent periods if you gear them reasonably and extract the heat.

You feel the power loss when they’re running hot.

The brushed versions are easy to cool, you just carve up the ends, leaving barely enough structural support for the bearings, and attach fans to suck air through them, with optional particulate filters covering the intake cutouts (not so fine as to choke the fans).

OK Im guilty of not providing enough data. There is more to the story. Firstly I’m building a utility of sorts kart, it will be used in the yard hauling yard tools, mulch sacks, loads of leaves in a yard trailer etc plus 130# of me. I have on hand two brushed my1020, 800watt 36 volt motors with original 10 tooth 25 h sprockets. I had on hand one 50 tooth sprocket as the second for a 5/8” shaft. I was unexpectedly given a 1” live axle, a 60 tooth sprocket for 420 chain, two 13” wheels to fit the axle, axle bearings and motor mounting frame. Heavy constructed.
This was given to me in the current early stage of 2 motor construction.
At this point it is necessary to disregard the gift entirely or use it as a strength upgrade and employ current items on hand as possible. I was already considering going to stronger chain over the 25. I haven’t felt the need to get into all the calculations regarding best combination of teeth, rpm’s, tire sizes then try to determine expected weight loads as well. Just trying to get something beefy. I’ve already done enough with one 800;watt motor driving a single wheel to be convinced two of them should work. I did blow the controller on one motor trying to climb up a pretty steep driveway…

Anyway it is a matter for me to use the 420 chain items given or not. If I use them, then I’ll have to buy another 60 tooth sprocket and two motor sprockets And another length of 420 chain.

if I stay with what I started with, I’ll have buy another 50 tooth sprocket and another 25 chain.

it just ” seems “ to me the 420 chain offers a more durable worry free option. The 25 chain gave me lots of problems jumping off. The least little movement of anything would do it.

since my original post I found two 410, 11 tooth sprockets to fit the my-1020 motors. I ordered them. I thought for $8 each and returnable I would take the chance,

All the above is the reason I asked if a 410 sprocket would be OK with a 420 chain..

thanks

410 sprocket = .125 width
420 sprocket = .25" width

It generally will work if the chain is happy with side to side movement

it just ” seems “ to me the 420 chain offers a more durable worry free option. The 25 chain gave me lots of problems jumping off. The least little movement of anything would do it.

That's sounds like a problem with chain tension and/or sprocket alignment, not chain size. If you don't fix the problem, a different chain probably won't help.

A #25 chain ought to be enough strength for a 800 watt motor.
Although, consider ... with a 10T pinion sprocket the actual number of teeth engaged with the chain is less then 5 teeth.
Increasing the pitch diameter and the subsequent taller teeth will allow for more tolerance in misalignment and / or chain tension.
The small pinion is the weak point in the system, a larger pitch will help here.

That's sounds like a problem with chain tension and/or sprocket alignment, not chain size. If you don't fix the problem, a different chain probably won't help.
Spot on for me. I had both problems. The whole build I had was cheesy. That’s the reason I’m re-building. Now I’m mounting both motors to a solid frame which is connected hard to the axles via a welded axle bearings. The only independent movement of the motors with redirect to their axle is in the bearing itself. Then the chain is upgraded to 420.

A #25 chain ought to be enough strength for a 800 watt motor.
Although, consider ... with a 10T pinion sprocket the actual number of teeth engaged with the chain is less then 5 teeth.
Increasing the pitch diameter and the subsequent taller teeth will allow for more tolerance in misalignment and / or chain tension.
The small pinion is the weak point in the system, a larger pitch will help here.
Considering pitch gives me a headache. Especially now that I decided to go with the 420 chain. The only drive sprocket I could readily find at a doable price has 11teeth. This changes the ratio to 11:60. Not sure how much that charge will affect torque. I’m thinking not enough to matter with the expected loads. All the uses will short in time. No long drawn out heavy hauls.

So, does pitch diameter automatically increase with the number of teeth, as well as the teeth height?

For the same current, an 11-90 #25 combo will provide exactly 50% more torque than your proposed 11-60 420 combo.

BTW, pitch refers to the distance between rollers.

IME alignment is more critical with taller teeth and tighter radius (i.e. smaller cogs).

You can see the motor data on this page:

Pitch diameter = sprocket diameter at the center of chain pins as explained with this diagram.
Hope this helps
0412tsubaki5.jpg

Back