Larger aftermarket battery pack for Yuba Spicy Curry

bikeczar

1 µW
I really like my Spicy Curry, but the OEM packs are way too small. I would like to increase my range dramatically with a 20amp/hr LiPo pack made by a local aftermarket e-bike company. The problem is the OEM pack that came with the Yuba has some extra circuitry inside it and four wires leading to the pack. When we try connecting a battery to the system with just the two main power wires to the motor, the assist works, but the display doesn't function properly. I am afraid I might damage the controller in the motor unit if I use the aftermarket pack. I considered disassembling the OEM pack and removing those cells and wiring the aftermarket pack into the OEM electronics, but I am wondering if I could do that given the OEM pack is a 54 volt Lithium Ion system and the aftermarket pack is a 50 volt LiPo system.

Any suggestions? At this point I am considering selling the Yuba Spicy Curry and getting a Bafang mid-drive and Extracycle Edgerunner so I can run packs with more range, but I love how the Yuba rides better than the Edgerunner and I will loose abougt $1,000 making the switch.

I really like my Yuba Spicy Curry, but the OEM pack it comes with is way too small. I would like to increase my range dramatically with a 20amp/hr LiPo pack made by a local aftermarket e-bike company. I thought I could simply buy an aftermarket pack and use it like a Mophie battery pack for my phone, plugged into the XLR charger port. When I tried to do that with an external pack after the OEM pack is run down to a low voltage, the bike switches to charging mode and the motor will not operate.

I considered splicing into the wiring harness so I can remove the OEM pack when it is low and run the larger external pack, but the OEM pack that came with the Yuba has some extra circuitry inside it and four wires leading to the pack. When we try connecting a battery to the system with just the two main power wires to the motor, the assist works, but the display doesn't function properly. I am afraid I might damage the controller in the motor unit if I use the aftermarket pack. I considered disassembling the OEM pack and removing those cells and wiring the aftermarket pack into the OEM electronics, but I am wondering if I could do that given the OEM pack is a 54 volt Lithium Ion system and the aftermarket pack is a 50 volt LiPo system.

Any suggestions? At this point I am considering selling the Yuba Spicy Curry and getting a Bafang mid-drive and Extracycle Edgerunner so I can run packs with more range, but I love how the Yuba rides better than the Edgerunner and I will loose about $1,000 making the switch.

Back