Laz's v3 question, planning, and build thread

lazarus2405

10 kW
Back in late 2007/early 2008, I had my first two rounds of ebike building, and I learned a lot. I bought a used 5" full suspension trail bike, laced a 5303 into a 20" wheel, and ran around with 84v of LiMn for about two years. Then, I discovered mountain biking and took the electronics off the bike and rode it for its intended purpose. I just replaced my trail bike with a wonderful, amazing machine, and when i glanced at my once-donor bike I got the hankering to electrify it once again.

The v2 bike:
file.php

And its original build thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3912
I've since replaced the controller with a 100a Kelly, but the rest is unchanged.

So, I'm working on a list of changes to make gradually over the next season, and I'm always interested in input. My goals are to have a fun, reliable, fast, safe commuter bike that can hit 45mph at WOT and comfortably do ~20mi at 30mph.

First off, the battery is five years old, and the LiMn cells are having some issues. This time around I think I'll be going the HK LiPo route, probably 20s at 5ah to test out, and then quickly bump it up to 15Ah. I'm looking for input on the specific bricks. Right now I'm looking at these 5ah 4s hardcase ones. The price sure is right. Most of the recent builds I've seen, however, have used more expensive 5s nano-tech. What would be the advantage to buying the higher-C nano-tech packs versus buying twice the Ah of the 20C stuff? Presumably less sag and a longer life? The Kelly controller's 100a limit is at the motor (continuous, 200a peak), with independently programmable battery current limits. I'd intend to set that at 60a peak, and I'd expect ~17a continuous. For a 15Ah pack, that's pretty low C. That should give me the range I want at the speed I want with a reasonable DoD. Thoughts?

I'm absolutely awful at fabricating enclosures and mounting them to anything but a rear rack. I end up with the battery weight hanging off the back behind the axle. I'm interested in a front mount, but I don't know where to start. What premade enclosures and mounting hardware are easy to work with?

Would anyone have some good pictures of how they managed one-plug charging with 4mm bullet connectors? You would "block" together all the discharge leads from the bricks and swap them from a discharging harness to a charging one that would parallel them all, correct? I'm not familiar with them and I'm wondering how to make a block out of them.

The second step will be to relace the motor back to a 26" rim. I've come to really dislike the handling of the 20" rear with a 26" front. It's just clownish. Does anyone have a recommendation for a sturdy 26" 36-spoke rim? And the easiest way to handle spokes is still to buy a set of 13g from ebikes.ca?

Next on the plan is to work out a bulk charging solution. I should have a handle on the specifics by that point.

Finally, come fall I plan to swap to a new donor bike, a Trek Transport. Long wheelbase, tons of cargo and battery space, lots of niceties. It should be a jewel of a build when I get to that point.

As always, thanks for any input.

Back