lithium vs lithium lifepo4

fabieville

100 W
I saw a Powerhouse Lithium 24V Battery rated at 200ah and weighs just 7.5kg.
What I want to know is if this battery would be suited to use on a e-bike,seeing that it is not lifepo4. Also would I get the same or similar performance from it as with a lifepo4? You can go to the below link and tell me what you think.
If it performs less than a lifepo4 in terms of amp hour seeing that the lithium is rated at 200ah what lifepo4 ah would that match up with?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261855680662?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

Designed especially to fit within the battery bay of the Powerhouse Pro range of single seat Golf buggies and any other golf buggy using 24V (2 battery system)
It weighs in at 7.5kg and measures (W)160mm x (L)250mm x (H)200mm (6.25" x 10" x 8"), As there is only one lithium battery required the weight saving when compared to two 80ah lead acid batteries is a massive 45kg or around 9 stone.

The Lithium Battery is supplied fully protected by a sophisticated specially designed battery management system that constantly monitors every cell to ensure the lithium battery is always optimised for best performance and life Also supplied with its own lithium charger.
Charging is also quicker, a flat battery will charge in around 8hrs

The 18 Hole Lithium Golf Buggy Battery can also be used on all makes and models of single seat buggies using a 24V system.
Simple modification to wiring is required. (Supplied)
Remember you only need 1 battery. It replaces the 2 standard lead acid batteries on your buggy.

Model: Powerhouse Lithium 24V Battery
Capacity: 24v Equivalent to 2 x 76Ah lead acid batteries 27Holes
Type: Lithium
Weight: 7.5kg
Size: (W)160mm x (L)250mm x (H)200mm (6.25" x 10" x 8")
Applications: Suitable for use with the Powerhouse Golf buggies.
Life expectancy*: in access of 1000 Cycles, unconditional.
Duration: 18+ hole capacity depending on terrain and conditions.
Features: Ultra Light High performance. Complete with Lithium Charger
Warranty: This battery comes 2 years manufacturers guarantee (limited warranty).
Usage: Can be used anyway around as it is non spilable. Must be stored in charged condition
Suitable for many other makes of buggy inc:

Powerhouse Golf
Powakaddy
Electrocart
Patterson
Pennine

Volts times amps equals watts. It's a good idea to look at power in watts and capacity in watt hours(Wh), makes things much more simple. This battery doesn't have 200 amp hours(Ah) of capacity at 24v, I can promise you that. If the pack did have a 200Ah capacity at 24V that would mean the capacity of the pack would be around 4800Wh, that would likely make it the most energy dense pack in the world (it isn't).

The actual capacity of this pack doesn't appear to be listed(in either Ah or Wh), maybe I missed it. When they say 200a, they probably mean burst amp draw limit or something like that, how long you can very briefly draw a high amount of current without destroying the pack, a lot of information is missing from this advertisement, seems like a scam preying on ignorance to me.

When you ask about performance, you have to understand what that means in relationship to a battery. There are many variables that go into this discussion. One chemistry might perform acceptably well in sub freezing temperatures, the next might be next to worthless. One chemistry might do great at 10c draw with little capacity loss, internal heating and voltage drop, the next might be destroyed by that. One chemistry might have very ideal energy density, the next might not and so on until your eyeballs bleed. So when you ask about similar performance, you need to understand that there are many different types of performance that comes with a battery. If you want to know about performance of something, you have to look at it specifically. Another way to look at it would be like asking how a car performs, well, in what way? Are we talking highway miles per gallon? Top speed? 0-60?

http://www.jobike.it/Public/data/dipigi/201311419833_INR18650-29E.pdf Read this PDF on an 18650 cell, there is plenty of interesting data within that yields performance information in various ways. This is the type of stuff you want to read when someone is selling you a battery, not "Capacity: 24v Equivalent to 2 x 76Ah lead acid batteries 27Holes" bullshit like you read in that ebay advertisement.

fabieville said:
I saw a Powerhouse Lithium 24V Battery rated at 200ah and weighs just 7.5kg.
Either it contains magic pixie dust or they are lying or they made a really really serious error in their ad copy.

What's a zero between friends. I mean.. it's nothing is it lol
20Ah I reckon

It's the most volatile format. Meaning you can get a lot of power, from little battery. However, it also means it can go wrong more readily.

Hehe... Right now "9 available 4 sold". (At that cost, maybe 200Ah pack can be split into multi-20Ah packs among friends).

24 volts probably wouldn't get my bike going very fast. Even if I could go over100 miles, under 10 mph can't be much fun. Besides I might be a day older when I finally got there, and another day older by the time I got a charge and returned to my starting point. :(

Despite the ad copy bullshit, if its 24v 20 ah, then two of them would make a nice battery for an ebike. Question is, is the price good or not?

By weight, it could easily be much larger than 20 ah, even if it was lifepo4. Two of them would be very heavy for a bike to carry, at over 30 pounds.

FWIW, my 48V 20Ah A123 prismatic EM3EV pack in the 50cal ammocan only weighs around 25lbs I think (is a pic of it on the scale in the CB2 thread from a year and a half ago somewhere), though last capacity "test' it had got only somewhat over half of it's rated capacity, IIRC.

But the point is that even a heavy LiFePO4 pack ina steel box deosn't weigh as much as the one listed in the OP for the same capacity (assuming an extra decimal place in the ad copy), so something is definitely up with the ad itself--it's wrong beyond a simple decimal point mistake.

So I would not trust any of what it says, as there is no way to know if any of what it says is correct or not.

Back