more initial Ping battery install questions

bruce.nali

10 µW
Been learning from ES as a lurker for a bit so first thanks to all who give info here. I have just received a new 36v, 15ah battery from Ping. Ordering and delivery was great as was packaging. This is a replacement for my original ezee front hub kit battery that worked well for about 5 yrs. I didn't push it too much, mostly used for a 10 mile commute and city cruising pretty consistently all year, and left it on the charger whenever not in use. So I think I have a 20amp controller and 400 watt motor. I was not looking for added speed but just a little longer distance and long life (without too much extra weight. Also will add a cycle_analyst.
so the questions:
1. I will give the battery a harder shell as recommended and would like to mount on top of my standard rack in a custom case. Fit would be better if the battery was laid on its side, i.e. now the top with the BMS is the narrow face, I would like to make the top and bottom the wide face. Any problems with this on a pouch cell battery? Also would it be ok to move the BMS so it was on the wide face (take off the wrap and just move it?).
2. I am somewhat confused over the various discussions regarding an on/off switch and need for some kind of spark suppressor for connecting battery to controller. With just 36v are these needed or desirable? My controller has anderson connectors so I will be adding them to the battery output wires and I can solder, etc if putting a switch or suppressor would extend the life of the battery.
3. I have always just left my charger on, and the battery switch on with the old battery. Should I now put a timer on the charger to shut it off? If so do I just figure the time from when the BMS lights usually all go on, or what?
thanks in advance and I will post some pics of my new battery holder when done.

It doesn't matter to lay it on its side, I had mine like that for over a year. Put a bit of that polythene packing foam underneath to give it an easier time. You should also think about stopping it from jumping up when you go over a bump, so a tight-fitting enclose is beat. I had mine in football boot bag with foam above and below the battery.

I never bothered about charging procedures. I often left it charging over-night. No harm was done.

You can make everything much more convenient if you can make a switch like this. You can use any small switch anywhere on your bike as a main power switch to isolate the battery. You don't need a PCB. You can drill a bit of thin fibreglass/SRBF and hard wire the components. Use 30 amp wire on the main power line where the traces are thick in the picture below.

I have laid ping pouches on the side for many thousands of miles. They don't care about up or down, so just reposition the bms to the new top side.

You won't need a spark suppressor with 36v and andersons.

Let your battery charge overnight from time to time, Or, until all the led's light up. Once all lit, it's balanced and done. But no real harm in leaving it longer, just for convenience. Using a timer is fine, just give it plenty so all the lights do light up.

Unplug or switch off the battery to controller connection when you park for more than a few min.

Unplug the bms for long term storage, like over the winter.

Winter in So Cal. ? We just ride all year. I put a timer on the Ping I had for a hour or two longer after I got it balance. Do love those led's on the bms it gives peace of mind. Do keep on the charger in the beging. What hurt my Ping was to big a controller and test runs up steep hills.

1. Orientation of the pack isn't an important thing to consider based on what I've read. I don't know if this is true or not. But what I know is important is providing good cushioning, don't skimp. And you would probably be wise to use a fatter tire with lower PSI on the rear (at least), with the battery sitting over it. This will provide a softer ride for both you an the battery.

2 Unknown.

3. I don't know if my opinion is worth mentioning.

thanks all for the great information.
Probably will put it together with 45a Andersons at first and work on the switch second as it looks a bit daunting and may take a few tries. I will also look at the switch in my ezee battery box - wonder how it is wired?
Having a little trouble local sourcing the Anderson's but will begin the box building and other stuff and send in pics.
thanks again.

you can put a switch in the BMS circuit current to turn off the BMS when you connect the battery to the controller or leave it in storage for months on end.

Attachments

• DSC01596.JPG
    DSC01596.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 527
  • DSC01597.JPG
    DSC01597.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 527
I just use one of the 2 battery switches from the Currie bikes. I've used it from 24-48V without any problems. Turn it off when I wanna charge and turn it on when I wanna ride.

Back