most powerful '250w' Motor

Danhandy

10 µW
Hello!

I currently have a Panda m-Drive (250w mid drive 36v 15ah - similar to a bbs01) installed on a Carrera Valour. I built this a few years ago using second hand parts at a cost of around £300. It's served me well but now I want to upgrade.

I have used both hub motors (geared & direct) along with mid drives in the past. I prefer geared hubs or mid motors, no preference between the two.

My top priority is power. I want the most powerful motor (a good balance of torque and top speed) that is marked as 250w (i live in the UK). I will not consider anything marked higher than 250w, I am not prepared to use stickers, etc.

In an ideal world, a 250w marked bbshd would be perfect! But I don't believe these exist.

I have not yet purchased a bike so the bike can fit around the motor requirements.

The best i have come up with so far are:

1. 48v 250w Tongsheng TSDZ2

2. 48v 250w Bafang SWX02 (i can only find this from Woosh as part of a complete kit with battery - I would prefer to build my own battery though)

3. 48v 250w MXUS XF08 (these seam to be readily available)

4. 48v BBS02 maked as 250w ( i'm unable to find a suppler of these anymore, anyone have a source?)

5. 48v 250w DWG22C (agian, i can only find this from Woosh but I would prefer to build my own battery)

Are there any better choices available? Which of the above will take the most amps?

Thanks,
Dan.

Do you really get stopped and cops look at your motor?

I'd just get a smaller geared motor, which has no wattage brand on it, and give it 36v 20 amps, about 700w. Then ride it like you are not a problem. The 500w rated geared motors like a Mac, would look like more than 250w. But you can give the smaller motors 48v if you don't weigh a lot, like 75 kilos or less.

No ones gunna know what wattage a motor is.
You could stamp a 500W marking on a 3000W mxus or 1500W Leaf and put a 36V10A sticker on your 2000W controller and no ones gunna give a fuckk about you, until you do 50mph on a multi-use bicycle pathway. Beyond that, if you install a rear hub motor, rear rack, rear pannier bags, place battery and controller inside said bags, no one will have a clue............ except for the people who are deep into the hobby. I notice a person riding a bicycle and something doesnt seem right, he's going a little too fast up a hill or whatever. I know its an ebike, 99.99% of everyone else..... has no clue...... unless you got wires hanging everywhere, a silver duct taped battery inside the triangle, a largeass screen on the handlebar.

No one cares what you do, so long as you dont be a goof ball and do 50mph on a pathway.

250w is a power rating. So saying you want the most powerful 250 watt motor is like saying you want the heaviest 10 pound weight.

If you want more torque or more acceleration, you can achieve that through gearing. If you want more speed, same thing. 250 watts is 250 watts, regardless....

Until it's not. And that's where respecting the letter of the law versus respecting the spirit of the law become an issue. a 250w motor is only a 250w motor because someone read the local laws and decided they could make their motor meet those laws by one of several ways.
1) average nominal power. in some places, the law is writen to state that an ebike must be rated foer 250w nominal power, and understands that the motor will often pull higher power durring acceleration and on hills, but is goverened for around 20kph and won't often exceed 250w.
2) absolute max power. there are places where the law is written to govern the absolute max poweer, and a hard cap must be put on the power draw of the motor at 250w.

in the first case, a 5,000 watt motor could be made legal by limiting the speed and power so that in normal opperation, you used 250 watts. It might occasionaly hit 5000 watts up a hill, but not on average.
in the second case, you could use current limiting to hold the max wattage to 250, making the 5000w motor a lot of dead weight, but legal.

I believe in respecting laws, I respect them in spirit. I have an "on-road" mode on a switch that limits my 20,000 watt monster bike to the local legal 750w, 20mph limit. I also added a park mode that limits my speed to 12mph in parks. The police know about this, and really like the idea

Hello,

Thanks for the replys.

I'm from the UK so 250w is the legal limit unfortunately!

I ended up getting a Tongsheng TSDZ2 marked and sold as 250w 48v.

I will be flashing the Flexible OpenSource firmware and running it at 52v.

Pretty much you did what I suggested. You got a smaller geared motor, and now you will run it at 48v, ish.

Whats the amps of your controller? if its 20, you got a 1000w bike my friend. Ride it like a human being, and no cop will give a shit, even in England.

Blast down sidewalks at 25 mph scaring moms, and cops will notice you. They won't notice your 250w markings either or care, just enforcing the unwritten attitude law, as usual.

Ride nice, and enjoy!

dogman dan said:
Pretty much you did what I suggested. You got a smaller geared motor, and now you will run it at 48v, ish.

Whats the amps of your controller? if its 20, you got a 1000w bike my friend. Ride it like a human being, and no cop will give a shit, even in England.

Blast down sidewalks at 25 mph scaring moms, and cops will notice you. They won't notice your 250w markings either or care, just enforcing the unwritten attitude law, as usual.

Ride nice, and enjoy!

I'll be setting the controller to a max of 17Ah. So yeh 800ish max.

I think this will be plenty for me.

Any good battery suppliers you know of in the EU?

Thanks.

Back