My CityBug project.

slaphappygamer said:
Some of the holes, I can’t get nuts on the inner part due to the axle nut being too close to some holes.
What about putting the bolts in the inboard (motor side) plates first, then sliding it onto the axle, then sliding the axle/plate assembly into the dropouts?

Then you don't have to turn the heads, only the nuts, and can even shape the heads (with a file, or grinder) to fit against the axle nut if necessary.

If you like, you can also file or grind away the excess bolt length, if enough sticks out past the washers, lockwashers, and nuts, to give you a problem or change the look negatively, and shorter bolts are too short. (This could be done with nuts on the inboard side as well, but is easier to do on the outboard side).

I like the idea of grinding the nuts to butt against the axle nuts. I’ll try that method.

With the bolts inboard, they will not slide into the dropouts. I’ve drilled holes in the frame, outside of the dropout area. Those holes are for the torque plate bolts. Three on each side. The bolts will have to go directly in the hole. My only option is to have the bolts outboard with the nuts inboard.

The way everything is stacked is, from the motor out towards the axle end. Torque washer, torque plate, axle nut. Installed this way, I can not have the bolts inboard. I also can not mount the torque plates to the frame first, then slide the axle into them. With torque plates on both sides of the dropouts, I can not install the axle nuts. I’ll have to pay more attention to this on future projects.

Adding picture for clarity.

7CEDB0A2-8AFC-46AD-A692-1A47E1E9FCF8.jpeg

8633465D-CE24-43D4-85EF-977D54F5D2E1.jpeg

Also added a light, bell, kid handlebars and mirror.

D9EEA14B-D2DE-4C3C-B158-CED61F56F5BE.jpeg

99C464E6-37DF-46AA-BDBB-940831063017.jpeg

Made a silly temporary deck.

8855C311-9772-4A86-B123-A82531267D8D.jpeg

B9C5F466-13C7-4AC8-824C-DCB9FD8C367D.jpeg

I was sure to have enough clearance from the battery. Got tired of stepping around it and now that my kid rides this with me, I needed more stepping area. Also got rid of that horrible rattling. It was like I was dragging a 5 gallon bucket down the street.

I’m curious. I’m debating on wether, or not, to get a new suspension fork. I could get this motor…

US $45.74 47% Off | 36V 350W Engine Motor Replacement for Xiaomi M365 Pro Electric Scooter Motor Wheel Scooter Accessories of Driving Wheels
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNjIrkE

..and it would fit in my existing fork. The solid tire isn’t too bad. I’m looking at honeycomb tires, to see what else is out there. What I’m most curious about is if that motor will work with my controller. I got this kit….

Vbestlife 36/48V 450W Electric Bicycle Brushless Motor Controller Kit, E-Bike Dual Drive Brushless Motor Controller with 866 LCD Display Panel for Electric Bicycle Scooter Accessory https://a.co/d/ejJHaD5

…the regen is what I’m not sure about. The controller doesn’t support it, but the motor does. My concern is that the controller would take on extra heat with a motor that has regen. Since the controller does not support regen, maybe it won’t take that heat in? That is my question. This motor would be connected to the secondary controller.

Getting the above motor will mean I won’t have to replace my fork and it makes economic sense, to me. Function is also key. The hills around me are pretty steep and a second motor would be greatly helpful.

by slaphappygamer » Jan 25 2023 11:53am

I’m curious. I’m debating on wether, or not, to get a new suspension fork. I could get this motor…
Just a question, why do you need or want another motor? is the current one burn up or getting hot?
US $45.74 47% Off | 36V 350W Engine Motor Replacement for Xiaomi M365 Pro Electric Scooter Motor Wheel Scooter Accessories of Driving Wheels
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNjIrkE

..and it would fit in my existing fork. The solid tire isn’t too bad. I’m looking at honeycomb tires, to see what else is out there. What I’m most curious about is if that motor will work with my controller. I got this kit….
Would not go to a solid tire, makes for a rough ride. Don't have enough information on the motor or controller, most should work, always a chance that it will not.
Vbestlife 36/48V 450W Electric Bicycle Brushless Motor Controller Kit, E-Bike Dual Drive Brushless Motor Controller with 866 LCD Display Panel for Electric Bicycle Scooter Accessory https://a.co/d/ejJHaD5
To off any help, what is it that you are wanting, more hill pulling power or speed?
…the regen is what I’m not sure about. The controller doesn’t support it, but the motor does. My concern is that the controller would take on extra heat with a motor that has regen. Since the controller does not support regen, maybe it won’t take that heat in? That is my question. This motor would be connected to the secondary controller.
Your understanding of motors is not correct. Most motors are dumb things unless they have something built in like a controller.
All motors support regen not a special function. The regeneration function is in the controller not the motor.
You spin a motor you can make electricity, coasting down hill, with your hand or an ebike by pedaling.
Getting the above motor will mean I won’t have to replace my fork and it makes economic sense, to me. Function is also key. The hills around me are pretty steep and a second motor would be greatly helpful.
Ok get it now you want two motors to get up the hills. Still would not want a solid tire.
Need to try to match the motors if not one would be doing all the work and get hot.
Need to make sure the wheel size is the same as the KV of the motors.

slaphappygamer said:
What I’m most curious about is if that motor will work with my controller. I got this kit….

Regen is initiated and controlled only by the controller, so it doesn't matter whether the motor supports it if the controller doesn't do it. The motor only does what the controller "tells" it to via the phase currents.

If your controller did do regen, and you used the regen braking function during braking in addition to or instead of mechanical braking, *then* the motor and controller would both heat up during regen braking (but not at any other time) because of it.

The only (hub)motors (without internal controllers) that don't support regen braking are those with internal clutches, like geared hubmotors. (unless they are specially designed in some way that a typical controller couldn't drive them as needed; I can't think of any).

Thank you both for the explanation of regen braking. Now I know more about how that works.

Yes, I’d want a second motor to go up hills. The single motor does pretty well and doesn’t get too hot. I can touch the motor for more than 30 seconds. 8)

It’s really when I add another 70lbs. Hmm, I’m 150 and the scooter might be 40-50.

The problem that I’m coming across is that I can’t find a hub motor in a 200x50mm tire that isn’t solid. That’s why I was looking at different types of solid tires.

The KV rating seems to be the RPM*Voltage. If that’s the case, then my current motor is 23,400KV. I assume that tire diameter would effect this rating due to change in RPM. As I type, this makes more sense. I’ll need a motor at a similar KV rating. The diameter could be different. Maybe I can find a 10 inch pneumatic tire for the front, as long as the KV is close.
Seems like it should work well with the other motor.

Perhaps I should rethink even adding a second motor. I think I’m just being picky. Lol

I think I’ll change focus on the mechanics of the bike and take a break on the electronics, for now.

Working on wiring up a charging port. The original spot, where the key ignition will be the perfect size and location.

IMG_0746_key-switch.JPG

Also, I’ve found a m365 motor that is pneumatic.

https://a.co/d/huDXka0

This is the closest, pneumatic match, to my existing motor. This is also rated at 36v 350w. Just a half inch in diameter larger. I could not find the RPM rating, but I believe that this motor will work well. I plan on running it 36v at 15 amps. It's also "gearless", like my existing motor. Still doing more research before I commit, though.

Today I had some time and did some work here.

The plastic tray I had the battery rest on finally shattered and I had to walk my scooter a block back to my car! I cut some plywood to sit in its place. Much better now!

I wired up a charging port. I used the old key slot and put the port there. I ordered some DC5.1 male/female jacks and ran a wire from the key slot to the battery area. I was sure to double check polarity against the charger to keep it all straight.

2D309A0B-7A6E-4A12-A777-9EC58983D4F5.jpeg

Then I cut an area out of the deck so I can now collapse the stem without having to remove it! That was a PITA!!

3AAF8DD8-2F95-41FC-B3DF-A0011A742463.jpeg

The large tie wrap ends just get pushed down.

I can finally ride the thing again.

Wait, what happen to the one side with no bottom bolt. Should be ok but the bottom will not help support any weight. Still should be ok.

Looking for the best electric scooter with a seat for adults? We've rounded up 10 amazing models for you to choose from. Get moving in style today!

Last edited:
I’ve been regularly monitoring both sides. They are very solid and nothing is coming loose.

I believe you are talking about the brake side of the motor. It’s holding up well.

I’ve been taking my kid to school on this thing. I get compliments. My kid is excited to ride, with me on it. She uses the pink handlebars. She even told me that she is proud of me. Lol.

Back