My econo-e-bike

Glad to see it just the tire/tube, I had a 3 inch nail go into my side wall while I was driving on a concrete parking lot. How a flat object can jump up and penetrate so precisely is nothing but ninja level physics.

Well I didn't really realize it until today, but I've been off my bike for over a month now. I'm blaming part of that on the weather, which allowed me to have an excuse to be lazy and put the repairs off. So as of today, the bike is wearing new tires, MAXXIS Hookworms, 24x2.5, the first street tires I've had on the bike since the original slicks I used for the initial build. Now my bike is totally silent, which is one of the pros. The 2.5 tires are noticeably smaller than the 2.8s, but still look substantial. From my quick ~15mile test ride, these tires are great on pavement and I feel pretty confident already leaning way into corners, so performance on dry pavement is another plus. I took a few of the dirt paths next to the bike trail and also rode over grass, and they performed OK, so I'm not strictly married to the pavement. The biggest pro so far is the much better rolling resistance. Roll on acceleration in the 20 to 30 and 30 to 40 ranges is quicker, likely because of that.
I can tell that the additional Statorade is working. I did a half dozen or so hard accelerations up to 40, at around 5800W, and the motor only got up to the low/mid 70Cs, when before topping off the Statorade, I was hitting the mid 80Cs. It really shows up when off the throttle, since the motor is back to cooling down quickly at rest or under low throttle.
The best news is that after 8k miles, the motor still looks new inside! The Statorade wasn't gummy or anything, and the carrier fluid viscosity was still low, so still sort of doing it's job. The stator had fluid all around, so the Statorade was sort of bridging the gap, but the amount between magnets was only slightly higher than the magnets. I replenished just enough so that the amount between magnets was to where it was when I originally applied it, so maybe only 2cc's total added.

I checked the bearings and they seemed fine; smooth and not gritty. Not sure if taking the motor apart and putting it back together did anything, but it seems like the noise I was hearing when leaning into a left turn is gone, so maybe just putting the sidecover on with a different rotation fixed it.

Hookworms.jpg
I'll do some temp testing on my usual routes in the next couple of days to get a baseline before adding heatsinks to the hub and retesting.

I feel a little inspired now, so I may get around to cleaning up my cabling mess and consolidating it down to the single harness. The bike needs a cosmetic clean up anyway. I think the single cable harness I bought is sort of ugly (semi transparent grey) so I'll probably cover it with some sort of cable wrap. I'm using some wrap now, but I was looking at soaresdacosta's build thread and like the way the braided wrap he uses looks, so I plan to redo everything with that stuff.
20230425_223643-jpg.333228

I guess I could be really lazy and not consolidate the cables and just cover them, but they get to be a mess in my connector box, so that's where it would help most.

Also, somehow my rack got a huge bend in both upper rails. I can't figure out how that happened, because it would take a lot of force. You can see in the pic, what appears to be a shadow or cable hanging down, above the controller, but that's actually the rack rail. I'll need to take it off to straighten it with my vise. I think I'm going to redo my connector box again too; 4th generation. If I consolidate the cables so there's less excess, I'll be able to trim down the box. I need to change out the breaker anyway, and it will be easier to make a new box to fit it, than to try to get it into the old box, since I have my shunt, anti spark circuit, as well as all of the wiring to work around.

Other things on the list are changing the fork seals and oil and swapping out the torque sensor, in that order of priority. The problem is, the overriding priority is, and always will be, riding, LOL.

Still getting used to the smaller tire size. I may mount my fender higher to see how that looks.
NewShoes.jpg

EDIT: Day before yesterday's ride was on a half charge and I was hitting my self imposed LVC riding uphill. I had to charge for a couple of hours to get closer to full before see how it performs in the +/-80V range I usually ride around on. I'll need to readjust my throttle ramp for the CA because the new tires make the bike more prone to wheelies, even in low, at speeds under 20. I noticed that at the same assistance level on PAS (set to 290W), I'm travelling 2mph faster (20 vs 18). The combination of the tire pressure and tread on performance is pretty noticeable.
Today I accidentally took a few short offroad routes out of habit, forgetting I didn't have knobbies. No incident. I figured it and just adjusted my riding. No climbs though.

Street Rod tires:
Tsunami.jpg

Forgot to note that I swapped out my mirror a couple of months ago. Back to crystal clear. This one is bigger. Plastic, but stable (clear, no vibrations), feels flimsy but it's not; plus a bigger field of view.
Bay Bridge.jpg

The weather vane is just a little bigger than the one in my backyard.
Vane.jpg

Last edited:
Damn EHP, thats a perfect size tire, 2.40 wide tire is so sweeeeeeet!
How much space you got, can you go wider?

Now thats a long distance beast, beefy kickstand and all, its all very nice.
You can stuff a ton of kwh on that ebike.
Ah that saddle and seat post is sweet too!
My Kona couldnt even hack 2.30 wide tires but it lasted a year, dropouts cracked.

Back