My Schwinn Stingray Spoiler

I have always liked the look of the "New Generation" Stingrays but never considered getting one as I was unaware that they were also produced in adult sizes. A few days ago I saw an ad for this one that specified "Not suitable for children" so did a little digging and found out that this is called the Stingray Spoiler and is in fact sized for adults. There were also a few other models made for adults that have similar frame shape as the regular kids models, just sized up. You can also buy a dropout-extender and layback seatpost to make the kids model more suitable for adults. They seem quite popular among the dinofuel-powered bicycle gang so I have started digging into their forums and other gathering places and found lots of inspiring, really beautiful builds.

My particular specimen has had several modifications done:
MC-style headlight, Iron cross shaped tail-light with a skull for good measure, tassles on the levers and most significantly a 3-speed IGH mounted as a jackshaft along with tank-shifter in the shape of a cobra head. This is mounted to the frame with a contraption tham somewhat resembles exhaust-pipes.

Apart from missing reflectors on the pedals and rear fender I think all the original parts are there. A few small holes has been drilled to mount the rear light and tankshifter, otherwise no irreversible changes have been made that I can find yet.

Chrome is pretty bad with lots of rust all over. Paint looks pretty good apart from some scratches here and there. Frame is aluminium so no rust and I have not found any damage. Mechanically everything seems to work well.

I was considering going with a mid motor with a belt on the left side as I think that would be very much in line with the chopper styling of the bike. I would have to somehow make a mounting bracket for the motor but there are CNC mounts for gas engines available that fit the oddly shaped bottom tube so I think I could do it without any complicated custom fabrication.

However, yesterday I picked up a used fatbike with a motor kit from Risun on it so I will go with a hubbie instead. This will be much more straightforward as I have plenty of experience with hubmotors. As far as I can tell the motor is a rebranded QS 205, controller is the Sabvoton 72100 and the battery a 72v20Ah triangle shrinkwrapped pack from Etario on AliExpress. I was in need of a wintertime bike anyway so got 2 birds with 1 stone buying this. I might still revisit the mid-drive option for the chopper if I like how it rides and end up keeping it long-term.

I would prefer motorcycle rim and tire for a motor as capable as this but I have not yet found a suitable rim. 16X4 rim with a 120/60 tire would be the optimal dimensions as it would fit without removing the stock fender and mounts. This seems to be a rather obscure size in the MC world so I am not sure it even exists at all. So far I have only found 3.5" wide rims with 40 holes ,which would not fit the 36 hole motor, and old tires with these dimensions. Any help locating suitable components would be greatly appreciated.

Back