NEED HELP, Really! BMS on Ezee Slide-in Vertical Battery

Dave-C

1 µW
I was doing some electrical work on my 2012 Yuba ElMundo to hook up a handlebar mount light switch for my wonderful Luna Cyclops front light. There is a line out of the Ezee controller that has the full voltage running through it that I have used for my front and rear light (rear light also is a Luna). Foolishly, I didn't throw a fuse between that line out of the controller and the lighting system like I have done with other bikes. When hooking up the lighting system with the new switch there was a little spark and after that my motor didn't operate. When I turn the start key, the controller still lights up as normal and my rear light will even come on, but when I twist the throttle past half way the controller light goes off. The motor might make a jerk here and there, but it basically doesn't work.

It seems that the BMS has been tripped and it's not the controller, but I don't have much expertise in this area. Would the BMS still allow enough power to have the controller operate normally but once there is any significant demand for an electric load the BMS would not allow the pack to deliver any appreciable current? The battery fully charged is at 41.5v. What do you think? If it's the BMS how do I find a replacement that will work and fit in this pack.

This system has gone through 5 years of Vermont's toughest weather (studded tires and Bar Mitts in the winter) and while I have had to upgrade some parts (planetary gears, connectors etc) and replace the battery 2 1/2 years ago (Sony V3 36v 15ah), this thing has been a miracle and has inspired others to become e-bike and e-cargo bike riders. Thankfully we have a backup e-cargo bike to get the kids to school, but we still love this older ElMundo.

Back