NEW Bafang G063 Motor, G06A2 Automatic Transmission Motor, New Display Released

swbf

1 mW
First post!

It seems Bafang has once again quietly updated their rear hub motors with an interesting change.

I wasn't able to find ANY info online, but the former H550 aka G062 page has been replaced with the new G063, which only comes in a 1000W model with no variants. There's now an updated H720 or G06A2 that comes in 250, 500, 750, and 1000W variants. I wasn't able to find any information about it other than a single article and a reference to it on this website. I'm not sure whether or not it's a mistake, but the G063 page has the 2019 dealer manual for the G062 linked.

I've spotted a few differences so far:
  • G06A2's body is 20mm wider, but G063 has a 17.7mm longer protrusion for cassette mounting.
  • G06A2 does not have a cassette mount, hence the lack of "D/DC"
  • G06A2 weighs 0.5kgs (1.1lbs) more.
  • G06A2 is IP66 while the G063 is IP65 according to their dealers' manuals, meaning G0A62 is significantly more water resistant.
  • They both seem to have about 10% more torque than the previous generation.
  • Most important of all, the G06A2 seems to have a dual speed automatic transmission.
We'll have to see how this plays out, as the G062 was one of the most modded motors. Now that it doesn't take cassettes, it seems like it'll be more targeted towards people who don't want to pedal and ride more of an "eMotorcycle"? I wonder how eBike manufacturers will use these, since the G062 in 500w and 750w variants were some of the most popular but now that they can't be shifted, it would be weird to use them in a bike. The G063 on the other hand only has a 1000W variant which might be too overpowered for budget builds.

Apparently they showcased this motor at the Sea Otter Classic in California late April, where they also showcased a new display, the DPC C010.

Did anyone attend this event, and/or possibly have information on these products?

First post!

I wasn't able to find ANY info online, but the former H550 aka G062 page has been replaced with the new G063, which only comes in a 1000W model with no variants. There's now an updated H720 or G06A2 that comes in 250, 500, 750, and 1000W variants.

I can not find these motors anywhere :( Where can they be purchased ???

I can not find these motors anywhere :( Where can they be purchased ???

Jett that's what I was thinking too. I have not even bothered to look for this particular one because in the USA, the only Bafang hub drive over 500W is for fat bikes.

Some marketing person there obviously doesn't want to market stronger hub drives to the USA. Oh well. This electric DIY world is so new relative to the bike industry in general that 20 years from now people will look at these formative years as completely chaotic with no rhyme or reason to the electric component rollouts. Things will be more organized later. For now it's a complete mess, and it doesn't help that most of the Chinese products have zero useful instructions...

Thank You SWBF,

That is awesome you found a place to get the new motor !!! The reviews on Aliexpress look good also :)
No problem!

Are you going to get one? I'm still trying to decide between a rear hub and mid drive right now

Hi SWBF,

Yes, I am going to get one. I looked a the pictures and comments and every indication is that it is the real Bafang G63.

I am definitely going to get a rear hub motor. I am not climbing any crazy steep hills where a mid drive would be needed. The rear hub does not use the chain and shifting on the bike which makes for less maintenance and hassle free. If I want to climb crazy steep hills and deal with chains, I have mid drive motorcycles for that :LOL:

Hi SWBF,

Yes, I am going to get one. I looked a the pictures and comments and every indication is that it is the real Bafang G63.

I am definitely going to get a rear hub motor. I am not climbing any crazy steep hills where a mid drive would be needed. The rear hub does not use the chain and shifting on the bike which makes for less maintenance and hassle free. If I want to climb crazy steep hills and deal with chains, I have mid drive motorcycles for that :LOL:
I decided on rear hub as well, but I don't think I'll get the G063 as I want more speed. I may need to get a direct drive for my fatbike. I think it's possible to run the G063 at 72V, but it'll def wear down the nylon gears too quickly.

Did you manage to pick up the G063 yet? If so, how's it treating you?

Back