New Bike Build -MAC 350W front kit / Nuvinci rear

baltiace1

10 mW
I'm getting ready to buy a MAC 350W front hub kit and battery from cell-man for an old Kona Sutra steel frame touring bike I bought. I'm pairing the front hub with a Nuvinci N360 700c rear wheel. I'm hoping it will turn out to be a low maintenance and reliable everyday commuter (15 mi each way, charge at work). I want to have the ability to go close to 30mph though most of the time I'll cruise around 20mph for efficiency, easier pedal assist, and not to get my ass bruised up (no suspension).

What I'm thinking:
8T winding. Upgraded phase wire option
52V 11.5AH 1-high A123 pack (I'm hoping this will fit inside a large Revelate Designs Tangle frame bag).
25A, 6 fet Infineon controller
Cycle Analyst

I have a one mile 5% grade hill on my commute...I don't think this kit would have any problems with it. I do have an optional route that would take me up a 10% to 15% grade 1/4 mile hill. I avoided this hill on my current 36V 500W DD ebike since it would never get up it without me killing myself pedaling at 5mph.

Would a 30A controller make any noticeable difference with the hills? I can't go with the 500 W front kit since its not disc brake compatible. I'm not sure if the 350W is available with 10T...which I'm not sure if I'd be happy with the cruising top speed either. Thoughts? Thanks! :D

I don't think you have a choice. Isn't the 350W front only available as a 9T{although Cell_man doesn't call it that}?
At any rate, the stock 350W MAC's no-load speed @ 36V is 300 rpm.
Plug it in the Ebike CA simulator and use the Ezee 20" motor as a sub. It matches Cell_man's estimates this new build by Neptronix closely,

http://www.ebikes.ca/simulator/

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38118

Looks like you would need at least 60V to reach 30 mph.

You can try different controller's as well.

5 more amps up the hills will help, but only 5 amps worth. 250w more. I wouldn't hesitate to go to the 30 amp, but I wouldn't advise much more than that on a commuter intended for longish rides. Basicly, if you have the power, you end up using it, and get a higher wh/mi, and less range.

Though you may still fall short of the 30 mph for when you need it for safety, the extra 5 amps will help you get closer to whatever your potential top speed is in a headwind or slight uphills.

Back