Newb...What do you recommend?

One thing. You have a production built ebike. Those were some of the first production ebikes. Tough frame. But that is a hardtail
You would have to be handy to rewire if you need to change the controller or battery.

What are your thoughts on these?........
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1000W-1500W-Ebike-Conversion-MTX-Wheel-Kit-700C-29-26-48V-Electric-Mountain-Bike/223767284053?hash=item341991c955:m:mq_a0Eg5X0WvsQQP91s1smg
paired up with this...........
https://em3ev.com/shop/em3ev-52v-14s5p-jumbo-shark-ebike-battery/

Wondering if these would be plug and play or would I need to soldier on new connectors? Also I have never ordered anything from China that required customs/duties. What would the customs duties be for these items if anyone has any experience ordering from China to the US?
Thanks,

wait, where are you from? I thought you were from the USA? There are plenty of USA based sellers selling these 1000W 48-52V ebike kits. ???

I thought em3ev did final assembly in the us.

I'm in the US. The ebay kit I mentioned here..........
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1000W-1500W-Ebike-Conversion-MTX-Wheel-Kit-700C-29-26-48V-Electric-Mountain-Bike/223767284053?hash=item341991c955:m:mq_a0Eg5X0WvsQQP91s1smg
looks like it comes with a stronger wheel, and it also offers a color LCD display I like as well as other options like a thumb throttle I can get with it. It looks like they want about $400 USD for it. Anyone have experience with this kit? Anyone know what the customs/duties would be to have it shipped to the US? Thanks,

you can also work with leafbike to get what you need in terms of display and kit. leafbike is a reputable mainly ebike hub kit seller.

https://www.leafbike.com/products/brushless-motor-controller/c-3/page-1.html

pretty sure that is the led display you want; they also have an portrait one with a different display style. thumb throttle is no good imo. your thumb will be sore and its not as controllable as a half throttle, which is my preferred style.

you can give them an email and see what they can do. i imagine you would buy the controller and led display combo and then a motor (no kit). Then just ask if that is enough to put it all together; might have to buy a throttle and pas or you just ask them to make you a deal or something.

torker said:
One thing. You have a production built ebike. Those were some of the first production ebikes. Tough frame. But that is a hardtail
You would have to be handy to rewire if you need to change the controller or battery.

There was someone who posted here not long ago who had one and was quite enamored with it as I recall, however his frame snapped after extended use.

Something tells me that it might not appreciate the constant rumble of sidewalk expansion joints or repeated thud coming off of the handicap ramps at each intersection. Just a gut feeling.

I know someone here has a couple of those. Maybe they will chime in. Sorry I can't be of better help.

Leafbike.com does have the Colorful Display I like. I found a promo code here......
https://www.mmodm.com/leafbike.com-coupon-codes/
It was for 35% off an order of $200 or more, but when I went thru the checkout there was no place to put the promocode into. I clicked on the live chat button, but it was not working.
They wanted $393.00 for the kit and then also wanted $142.00 for shipping and then wanted a paypal fee ontop of that. They are in China, so I'm unsure what the duties/customs fees would be, but that is more than I'm wanting to pay without the promo code.

Em3ev.com , has good products, they only charge what the shipping costs are , unlike other companies that seem to charge a cheep price for the kit but expensive shipping costs.
They are also known for excellent customer service by e-mail by real English Speaking people . the Owner is English married to a Chinese woman, and one other person there will help with after sales service in English and I think he is English/British as well .
California E-Bike ( Doug ) has a great Reputation as well .
And the most innovative company in this field of DIY E-Bike Conversions is ...
Grin Technologies in Vancouver BC. Which also has great after and pre sales customer service by e-mail . and Real shipping prices as well.

Bonefish, I live in the Cape. Biking as sole transport for 15 years, electric for almost 6. Number one rule, DO NOT PISS OFF THE OLD PEOPLE. They are almost the sole driver for the economy in this area. Cops and city management are ALL very aware of this.

Pedestrian traffic on sidewalks is extremely minimal. Never had a single issue. Idiots on fast gasbikes did cause some issues locally, there was a crackdown, fewer of them around now.

There has been talk of enforcing a 20-mph speed limit for ebikes, built mine around these numbers.

Total cost with current battery about $750.

General rule for used ebikes is to consider the battery about $50 value.

You mention hills, what bridges are you crossing? Have done Sanibel several times, have not and will not cross the river bridges here. FM beach?

We could meet for a beverage and have a long chat if you like. You work at the Grill? I used to know the owners, or at least the landlord. Interesting character.

bonefish said:
I'm in the US. The ebay kit I mentioned here..........
looks like it comes with a stronger wheel, and it also offers a color LCD display I like as well as other options like a thumb throttle I can get with it. It looks like they want about $400 USD for it. Anyone have experience with this kit? Anyone know what the customs/duties would be to have it shipped to the US? Thanks,

I ordered a MXUS motor from that ebay vendor last Fall. It arrived in about 7 days. Also got a battery from U.P.P. (unit pack power) in CHina in a week. Something might cost $300 or $3 from China, as far as I know, nothing has ever been stopped and assessed a tariff.

The corona virus has impacted shipping dates in 2020 though, Some places are not even open yet. Other places, are saying they have shipped an ebay orders the same day.

Back