pchen92's Kona Stinky GNG build

pchen92

100 W
Hi all,

After numerous hub builds and a DH Team + Cromotor that I still run, I wanted to build a lighter ebike with lots of torque.

I picked up a Kona Stinky a few months ago and had fun with it jumping off curbs, wheeling, ... (I live in Paris, so offroad will be quite rare :roll: )

I bought a used gng assembly and a #25 chain + sprockets (68T and 11T pinion) to convert the primary reduction.

I don't ride a lot because of my studies but my plan is to get something reliable enough for a few hundreds (thousand) of kilometers before starting changing things.

Controller will be 12 fets controller from em3ev (set at 50A batt 90A phase), cycle analyst (to lower the Amps at the beginning),
Lipo 18s2p (67V 10Ah), additive bag.

So here is the outline:

Keep it 10kg (or more) lighter than the Giant
Reasonable range
Be able to pedal at 30km/h
3 or 4 speed. 35km/h in lower gear, +50km/h in higher. That should get me everywhere.

I hope I can fit a 44t and 48t chainring on the Kona frame :roll:

What I need to buy:
-controller
-Smoother spring (I weight 145lbs)
-ISIS Bottom bracket + crank

What I already have/bought:
-tooling
-CA
-higher Seat tube
-Front shimano Zee m640 brake
-Additive bag
-battery
-Eno FW (have to search it)

I will try with the standard cassette first and do some work on the freehub like in this video John Bozi found:
[youtube]PCIe9fgFDTA[/youtube]

If it can't handle the power, I will go with Fourier's solution or screw a few sprocket together, we will see.

Cheers :mrgreen:

The American Classic brand has little steel strips along the loaded edges of the splines to stop that... but the cost prob isn't worth it on a bike that's going to be heavy anyway...

cwah said:
For this speed why don't you also get a lighter bike? You don't need a DH bike for paris' street I suppose?
Of course I don't need such a big bike. But I used to have a XC bike (full suspended) with a BPM and I didn't like the comfort (not enough travel suspension).
A lighter bike would be only 2kg lighter, maybe more expensive and less bullet-proof ?
2kg won't make a huge difference since I will already gain 10 to 12kg. I can always go for a single crown fork and multistar lipo to save these 2kg.

Voltron said:
The American Classic brand has little steel strips along the loaded edges of the splines to stop that... but the cost prob isn't worth it on a bike that's going to be heavy anyway...
Yes I saw it but as you said it's quite expensive. Better go the DIY way first and after I can try a cassette with a spider like the Shimano XT to spread the load on the freehub

Back