Powerful Front Disk Brakes-224mm vs Dual vs Motorcyle rotors

MitchJi

10 MW
Hi,

How do these front disc brake options compare in power, and how difficult (universal) are they to implement?:

recumpence said:
At this point I installed a MRP fork (White Brothers), 224mm Hayes front rotor...
file.php
http://www.bikesonline.com/hayes-v-9-kit-disc-brake-rotor-224mm.htm
9" oversized disc rotor and adapter kits for specific DH fork applications
All kits designed for Hayes 74mm post-mount calipers
(IS-TA) International-Standard 20x110mm thru-axle dropouts (requires thicker adapter than quick-release dropout fork)
(PM) 74mm Post-Mount for either 6" or 8" stock rotors (without adapters)
Includes: 9" (224mm) 6-bolt/44mm-BCD rotor and fork-specific adapter bracket
http://greyborgusa.com/dnm-dual-disc-brake-fork/
This is the recommended fork which is used on the Greyborg Warp series of frames. They are also available for purchase separately. They have been custom made by DNM for Greyborg to accept dual front calipers and are supplied with a high quality dual disc 36 hole front hub
http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Puch_Magnum
There are many different customizations of Puch Magnums:
Honda MB5 front ends and wheels make for a bigger, heavier bike, but allows for disc brakes, increased stability at speed and a very different look

The braking power would be exactly the same no matter what. braking power is a factor of your tire's traction. If a brake can skid the wheel, it get's maximum braking force. if it can't, throw it away.

That said, the Honda MB5 disk will take far more heat and last much longer than a bicycle brake. it's a 9" disk, but much thicker than bicycle stuff and uses the same pad as the rear brake of a CR150cc. it will shed some serious heat. Mine's never overheated, even with my driving.
But I would skip it. the pads are stocked everywhere, but the rest of the parts were only used on the MB5, and it's kind of a semi-rare bike. Go with a CR80 brake. it used larger pads and a more conventional disk that has good aftermarket support.
The whole setup is heavy. An MC disk will weigh as much as the entire brake system for a dual brake Hayes H9 system.

The Dual brake system sounds all kinds of awesome. I'm running 1 of those 224mm rotors on the Monster. It does just fine stopping 300lbs+ combined weight from 50mph, and with the BB7 brakes, it's a 1 finger pull to stand the bike on it's nose. I have gotten the brakes hot enough to melt the cable sheath, though. I recently had the bike doing multiple 1/2 mile runs down some 28%-31% grade hills, abusing the F@#$ out of it. I got it up to temps that would have easily boiled a hydro brake, but the single 224 H9 disk did just fine.

The real advantage of the Bicycle brake is modulation. You're going to have much better brake feel with a single rotor system, and be able to get the wheel closer to a skid without locking up.

With a dual system you'll lose some of the knife edge feel but gain twice the heat dissipation.

With the Motorcycle brakes, you'll lose the light touch and superior modulation on the edge that bicycle brakes give, but you'll gain epic amounts of heat dissipation.

HI,

You not only answered my questions, but you answered valuable questions that had not even occurred to me.

Thanks!

It is a common mistakle to think "braking power" instead of "braking distance". The shortest possible braking distance is what you want to achieve, and that has little to do with braking power. It is a matter of weight and traction, and the precision of the control that you can have on your brake lever.

Then, we want to stop as short as possible, but with brakes that will be reliable on the vehicle daily usage. So we make weight compromises to have them brakes reliable in the conditions that we ride. A bigger brake pad surface is the first reliability factor, rotor weight is next. Motorcycle brakes are overkill for our ebikes, unless the bike is very heavy you can achieve the best combination of performance and reliability with quality bicycle brakes.

If some are looking for these great 9" ( 224mm disk brake) i have few left in stock.

PM me

Back