Putting a torque sensor on a Bafang BBSHD

Has anyone installed a torque sensor on a BBSHD? Most of the torque sensors I'm finding out in the market are embedded in the bottom bracket, like this:

sempu_100_2_1.jpg

That won't work, because the BBSHD has its own integrated bottom bracket. This crank sensor is the closest thing I've found in the market that seems feasible:

electric-bike-torque-sensor-kit_2__2.jpg

The problem is that it's for 68-73mm bottom brackets. Is that limit stated purely because that's the spindle size that's included? Is there any reason I can't disregard the spindle and mount it on a Bafang BBSHD which integrates a 100mm bottom bracket?

I'm not fixated on that particular torque sensor, but it's the only one I find that's not part of the bottom bracket. Other forms of torque sensors are mentioned here:
  1. bottom bracket designs
  2. Idler wheel on chain torque sensor
  3. Strain Guage on rear axle
  4. Crank sensor
  5. Spring Guage on Rear Derailleur Hanger

but only 1 and 4 seem to be sold separately.

if you can find one used or nos somewhere, the beamts used to be available; rides on your chain. but because of that, it doesn't measure your power, it measure the power thru the chain, so once the motor starts running, it drives the chain and you no longer have control.

the same thing is true of a sensor on your crank--if teh crank is turned by the motor so that the output of the motor goes thru the chainring on the sensor crank, you lose control the instant the motor sends any power thru the chain. afaict, you can't set that crank up any other way than to have the main chain to the rear wheel go on that chainring, as it appears to sense the torque betwen the crank and the ring. if the bbshd is setup to drive it's own ring, not the one on the crank, to go to the rear wheel, then it won't work unless you have two input sprockets at the rear wheel, one for the bbs and one for you. if the bbs is setup to drive thru the main ring on the crank, it wont work because you lose control once the motor starts.

the same thing is also true of anything on the rear dropout/hanger, etc. it'll be measureing power to teh wheel, whcih means motor power too, so you lose control the instnat the motor starts; it will just self runaway. the harder the motor pulls, the harder it will be told to pull, until it maxes out. it would only cease if you cut power or f you have ebrake handles that shut off the system.

additionally, that crank/ring sensor comes iwth ti's own controller/etc., which may be required in order to use it, unless you're going to build something to translate it's output to a throttle signal. if so, you can just use the cycle analyst v3, as long as the sensor's output is compatible with it.

i don't think the bbs controller will accept a ts input, unless there's custom firmware i haven't seen yet.

no idea on the size limit...i can't see what mounting type the cranks use. if ti's square taper of the same knd as the bbshd (there are at least two kinds), it should at least mount. but if it's osmething custom, or non-bbshd-compatible (splined, etc), you can't even mount it on htere.

amberwolf said:
the same thing is true of a sensor on your crank--if teh crank is turned by the motor so that the output of the motor goes thru the chainring on the sensor crank, you lose control the instant the motor sends any power thru the chain.

I'm actually struggling to see how this isn't a problem on all torque sensing mid-drives. Consider the TSDZ2. The torque is sensed on the BB spindle, the motor drives that spindle as a consequence, the torque of which is sensed, and so on. Why doesn't the TSDZ2 spin out of control? Does the system subtract the motor's contribution of torque from the measured torque?

[strike]I must be missing something fundamental.. because I don't even see how there can be mid-drives with a throttle (instead of PAS) and no pedaling. AFAIK, the freewheel mechanism is in the rear cassette and there is only one chain between the front & rear sprocket. So when a mid-drive motor turns the front sprocket how can it not cause the crank arm & pedals to turn too?[/strike] (edit: nevermind.. the answer is that the chainwheel has a freewheel mechanism)

amberwolf said:
additionally, that crank/ring sensor comes iwth ti's own controller/etc., which may be required in order to use it, unless you're going to build something to translate it's output to a throttle signal. if so, you can just use the cycle analyst v3, as long as the sensor's output is compatible with it.

I was assuming the torque sensor was ultimately outputting a throttle control. You seem to imply that I can't simply expect the throttle output to be compatible with the controller's throttle input, is that correct? I hope the cycle analyst v3 can essentially use any torque sensor input to control any motor.. maybe that's a bad assumption.

@Elinx -- thanks for the reference. It kind of answers one of my questions. Someone said:

"Of course for a middrive, the strain gauges have to be placed on the crank, not on the chainring."

This seems to imply that the crank and chainring can move independently.. which would explain how the motor doesn't force the cranks to turn. But I'd appreciate if someone would confirm that.

I'm also glad to see the BBSHD may be getting torque sensing support w/free software, because there's a problem with spindles breaking on the TSDZ2 kits for fat bikes.

I have a BBSHD on my bike and a BBS02 on my wife's bike, and honestly I do not have any complaints. I will state that I have taken many many versions of software programming versions to get where I am happy. While it will never sense torque, my original problem was that when pedal cadance rises and power from the motor remains constant the pedal feel would dissapear where you were doing nothing other than chasing the pedals. After much work I now have it where as pedal cadence rises the motor output drops. This way my pedal resistance remains and I still get a workout. I have it set where I use mainly PAS levels 3,4 and 5 (on uphills) Level 6 and 7 only for hill climbs. In level 3 and 4 it basically feels like a normal bike, you even forget it is electric. Not that it is not doing anything, you just do not feel it. Of course part of success is maintaining the bike in the correct gear. My system also never heats up!!

noviceBuilder said:
I'm actually struggling to see how this isn't a problem on all torque sensing mid-drives. Consider the TSDZ2. The torque is sensed on the BB spindle, the motor drives that spindle as a consequence, the torque of which is sensed, and so on. Why doesn't the TSDZ2 spin out of control? Does the system subtract the motor's contribution of torque from the measured torque?
as noted by another poster, it detects the torque in a place in the system before the motor's input. usually that's the crankshaft--the same place that many of the independent torque sensors put the sensor, like tdcm, thun, sempu, etc. if the motor were driving the actual crankshaft, then it would need to sense the pedal torque before that point--if it's driving it at the rigth crank / shaft interface, then the sensor has to be left of taht point, to sense (like the thun) the leftside pedal torque via twisting of the shaft. (i don't know exactly where the tsdz2's sensor is).

back when i was doing middrive stuff on my first big cargo bike, the crazybike2, i worked out several different torque sensing system designs, but each time i realized most of teh way thru working it out that the motor would input torque to the sensor and thus make it useless (dangerous even). i would have had to redesign the whole drivetrain to create a path for pedal power to feed into the drivetrain before the motor's input point, to have a place i could detect pedal input without the motor taking over.

in the tsdz2 (and similar) there isn't any place in the system to measure the motor torque prior to the pedal torque (not that there coudn't be, but there just isn't), so it doesn't ahve a value to subtract from anything.

there *is* a possibilty to have a battery-powered sensor with a remote wireless (radio, bt, etc) connection that is actually in the *pedals*, such taht it detects the force of pressing down on them, but it doesn't detect rotational force, or direction, so it would operate the system just as easily if just standing on the pedals as if actually pedalling with some force. it would work about the same if there was a motor driving the cranks as not, because the mtoor driving the cranks would take some pressure off the pedals depending on the cadence and the motor speed and force, so if it is setup right for the rider, the motor would cancel out the rider's force on teh sensors, just enough so the rider would keep the system active at whatever level they were going for. that might be a little complex.

but you'd have to design and build taht system yourself, cuz i don't know of such a system being commercially produced. (i think at one time there *were* pedals that could sense torque (pressure, really) for training cyclists, but i don't know what kind of effort would be needed to adapt them to your process.

[strike]I must be missing something fundamental.. because I don't even see how there can be mid-drives with a throttle (instead of PAS) and no pedaling. AFAIK, the freewheel mechanism is in the rear cassette and there is only one chain between the front & rear sprocket. So when a mid-drive motor turns the front sprocket how can it not cause the crank arm & pedals to turn too?[/strike] (edit: nevermind.. the answer is that the chainwheel has a freewheel mechanism)
yes, there is a freewheel in most of them. coaster-brake versions of such systems do not have a freewheel, or the brake wouldn't work...and thus those will make the pedals turn along with the motor.

some other middrives like the stokemonkey were designed without crank freewheels, because they drive the left side of the cranks via one chainring, and that passes thru the crankshaft to the rightside chainring and outputs to the rear wheel. since it passes thru the crankshaft, which connects both cranks together, it also forces the cransk to turn...like a tandem bike system does. (hence the name; the system acts as the stoker rider, though it's mechanically a little different chainline). this is pretty much how my powerchair-motor-driven system worked on crazybike2, back before i went dual hubmotor with it.

I was assuming the torque sensor was ultimately outputting a throttle control. You seem to imply that I can't simply expect the throttle output to be compatible with the controller's throttle input, is that correct? I hope the cycle analyst v3 can essentially use any torque sensor input to control any motor.. maybe that's a bad assumption.
torque sensors don't generally output a throttle-compatible signal. i haven't experienced any that do.

the reasoning behind them not doing so make sense, because gearing, cadence, crank length, rider strength and needs, etc., will all affect how the system needs to respond to the sensor, and if they just output a simple throttle signal they wouldn't be adjustable enough to do this for a wide range of riders, bikes, and sitautions. you'd have to have what amounts to a significant portion of a ca v3 inside the sensor, programmable by some external method, to make them adjustable. easier to just send the "raw" signals out to something else (the controller, usually), that can be setup by the rider to match their needs.

so usually they output a voltage corresponding in some way (dfferent for each sensor type) to the torque value itself, *and* a cadence data stream, which may be pwm, or may be simple pulses for each rotation, and either a direction signal or just not outputting anything when pedalling backwards. each one is different.

see the http://ebikes.ca pages about torque sensors for more detail on the signals and such.
https://www.ebikes.ca/learn/pedal-assist.html#methods-of-torque-sensing
https://www.ebikes.ca/getting-started/pas-options.html#torque-sensors
https://www.ebikes.ca/learn/pedal-assist.html
ther'es another page with even better info but i can't find it right now.

but anyway, yes, the ca can take whatever torque sensor input, along with it's cadence sensor (or a separate one if the sensor you choose does not have one), and convert that to a throttle output, based on the settings you choose. see the ca3 product info page on ebikes.ca for the details of how the ca does what it does and how to set it up. (it's a process).

cavi
Care to share your settings you used to get the more natural feel?
I have begun to play with the settings, but it sounds like you may be changing some setting I have not yet considered?

cavi said:
I have a BBSHD on my bike and a BBS02 on my wife's bike, and honestly I do not have any complaints. I will state that I have taken many many versions of software programming versions to get where I am happy. While it will never sense torque, my original problem was that when pedal cadance rises and power from the motor remains constant the pedal feel would dissapear where you were doing nothing other than chasing the pedals. After much work I now have it where as pedal cadence rises the motor output drops. This way my pedal resistance remains and I still get a workout. I have it set where I use mainly PAS levels 3,4 and 5 (on uphills) Level 6 and 7 only for hill climbs. In level 3 and 4 it basically feels like a normal bike, you even forget it is electric. Not that it is not doing anything, you just do not feel it. Of course part of success is maintaining the bike in the correct gear. My system also never heats up!!

cavi
Care to share your settings you used to get the more natural feel?
I have begun to play with the settings, but it sounds like you may be changing some setting I have not yet considered?

Back