Rad rover 6 plus rattling noise when motor spinning...changed the clutch and planetary gears but nothing doing.

mani

10 µW
link to video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/3nYsU6xkmTV8U2yp9

hello, one week ago started a rattling noise, ebike has 1500mi...it just got worst with time so had to stop using the bike, swapped the clutch and gears for a new one, held the motor in my hand and tried to spin it, there was no noise...thought i fixed the problem...but when mounted the rattling noise was the same as before changing the part, i guess i changed a part for nothing...apart from the part i changed the only remaining is the motor enclosure and the windings and electronics inside.

the sound is so weird! couldn't figure out what's causing it...what could it be? anyone ever encountered this issue? RAD saying its out of guarantee or something. bike bought used in june.

mani said:
hello, one week ago started a rattling noise, ebike has 1500mi...it just got worst with time so had to stop using the bike, swapped the clutch and gears for a new one, held the motor in my hand and tried to spin it, there was no noise...thought i fixed the problem...but when mounted the rattling noise was the same as before changing the part, i guess i changed a part for nothing...apart from the part i changed the only remaining is the motor enclosure and the windings and electronics inside.

You are lucky that you have such quick access to spare parts. Do you work in a ebike shop? I think I'd check the bearings next.

It sounds something like the noise a loose magnet might make?

When you had it apart, do you remember seeing any metal shavings?

Is the bike under warranty?

The two things that usually make that kind of sound are bearings (probably in the cassette freehub if it has one)) and loose bits of metal (like a lost nipple, etc) inside the rim (this doesn't sound "hollow" enough for that).

Either of these problems will make the sound just from the wheel spinning, and don't require running the motor to create it.

If you have to run the motor to make the sound, then the problem is in some part of the motor itself, anywhere from the hub shell to the motor core.

If yours is one of the fat-tire bafang motors with a freehub / cassette (instead of a thread-on freewheel), then a quick check before opening anything up is to take the chain off the rear sprockets so they can turn freely with the wheel. If the noise goes away while the sprockets are spinning the same speed as the wheel, then it is very likely the problem is in the freehub.

A freehub bearing problem can look like this; it is (what's left of) the outboard freehub bearing of a Fusin geared hubmotor:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=223429
dsc06879[1].jpg
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39877&p=1396593&hilit=fusin+cassette#p1328934
Apparently the pics of the rest of the freehub interior aren't there anymore. :(

If it happens when the motor is not running, when hand-turning the wheel forwards, then it is somewhere inside the motor before the clutch., because hand-turning the motor only spins the parts up to the clutch (which is why it's there).

If it happens when the motor is not running, but only when hand turning the wheel backwards, then it is something inside the motor after the clutch, because those parts are turned then.

If it only happens when the motor is actually running, not by hand turning the wheel in either direction, it could be a magnet that is not glued down correctly and is being pulled away from the rotor bell and touching the stator laminations. Less likely is a rotor bell bearing failure allowing the bell itself to shift and let the magnets touch the stator. Either of those will likely leave marks on the magnets and stator that you can see, but only if you were to disassemble that part of the motor, so that's a last-ditch thing to check for. ;)

amberwolf said:
The two things that usually make that kind of sound are bearings (probably in the cassette freehub if it has one)) and loose bits of metal (like a lost nipple, etc) inside the rim (this doesn't sound "hollow" enough for that).

Either of these problems will make the sound just from the wheel spinning, and don't require running the motor to create it.

If you have to run the motor to make the sound, then the problem is in some part of the motor itself, anywhere from the hub shell to the motor core.

If yours is one of the fat-tire bafang motors with a freehub / cassette (instead of a thread-on freewheel), then a quick check before opening anything up is to take the chain off the rear sprockets so they can turn freely with the wheel. If the noise goes away while the sprockets are spinning the same speed as the wheel, then it is very likely the problem is in the freehub.

A freehub bearing problem can look like this; it is (what's left of) the outboard freehub bearing of a Fusin geared hubmotor:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=223429
dsc06879[1].jpg
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39877&p=1396593&hilit=fusin+cassette#p1328934
Apparently the pics of the rest of the freehub interior aren't there anymore. :(

If it happens when the motor is not running, when hand-turning the wheel forwards, then it is somewhere inside the motor before the clutch., because hand-turning the motor only spins the parts up to the clutch (which is why it's there).

If it happens when the motor is not running, but only when hand turning the wheel backwards, then it is something inside the motor after the clutch, because those parts are turned then.

If it only happens when the motor is actually running, not by hand turning the wheel in either direction, it could be a magnet that is not glued down correctly and is being pulled away from the rotor bell and touching the stator laminations. Less likely is a rotor bell bearing failure allowing the bell itself to shift and let the magnets touch the stator. Either of those will likely leave marks on the magnets and stator that you can see, but only if you were to disassemble that part of the motor, so that's a last-ditch thing to check for. ;)

thanks amberwolf! its really helpful, i will have to investigate the motor more, the harsh reality is its not my ebike it a friend and im trying to help him get it fixed but he lives 30min away! hehehe anyways im willing to help him, this ebike is his lively hood he ubereats so he is in bad financial situation...i appreciate you pitching in with your help!

to clarify the issue, the rattling noise happen motor not running at a certain turning speed if slowly will not hear anything but if i start spinning the wheel fast by hand and more over with the pedals the sound become very loud...for me it is reminiscing of failed bearings but i could be wrong...the thread-on freewheel seems fine it run smooth but again i could be wrong too because i didn't check yet with the chain off so spinning by hand is still not really telling.
so at this point its either a shaft bearing and the sound is kinda indicative or like you suggested a loose magnet.
need to open the motor again!

If it happens with the motor not running, but the wheel spinning forwards, it is not a magnet or a motor core problem, as none of that is spinning at that time.

IF it happens with teh wheel spinning backwards and motor not running, and when the wheel spins forwards with tthe motor running, then it can be something in the motor core itself.

If it's a thread-on freewheel rather than a cassette on a freehub, it could still be the bearings in that (especially the outboard ones), if the noise happens when not pedalling but the wheel is spinning. (the bearings are not rotating while pedalling at the same speed as the wheel, only when it is freewheeling).

If the motor is not running, and the pedals are turning the wheel, and the noise is happening, it's not in the motor core and it's not in the freewheel (or cassette freehub). At that point if it is a bearing it has to be one of the two sidecover/axle bearings.

It's relatively easy to isolate any mechanical noise problem by establishing exactly when it happens, which things are moving at the time it happens, because only the things that are moving are causing noises in almost all cases. Knowing which things are moving and which parts inside those things move under different conditions narrows down which parts can possibly cause a noise.

amberwolf said:
If it happens with the motor not running, but the wheel spinning forwards, it is not a magnet or a motor core problem, as none of that is spinning at that time.

IF it happens with teh wheel spinning backwards and motor not running, and when the wheel spins forwards with tthe motor running, then it can be something in the motor core itself.

If it's a thread-on freewheel rather than a cassette on a freehub, it could still be the bearings in that (especially the outboard ones), if the noise happens when not pedalling but the wheel is spinning. (the bearings are not rotating while pedalling at the same speed as the wheel, only when it is freewheeling).

If the motor is not running, and the pedals are turning the wheel, and the noise is happening, it's not in the motor core and it's not in the freewheel (or cassette freehub). At that point if it is a bearing it has to be one of the two sidecover/axle bearings.

It's relatively easy to isolate any mechanical noise problem by establishing exactly when it happens, which things are moving at the time it happens, because only the things that are moving are causing noises in almost all cases. Knowing which things are moving and which parts inside those things move under different conditions narrows down which parts can possibly cause a noise.

taking in all the infos you provide i think i can safely isolate it to the side cover bearings...i guess i can take the wheel to a mechanic shop so they can press the bearings out and replace them...its the only way i see to save this ebike...what do you think? thanks

Back