Reviving old cells

John B

1 µW
Can 18650 cells be revived after being left discharged for two years or more? My battery is 10S5P and has one parallel section completely dead, the rest measure around 3.5 volts. I'm planning to replace just the dead section but would like to be fairly sure the rest of the cells will charge up and function again after so long.
Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks, John.

If they were between 3.3 and 3.9v for those two years or more, I'd say there's a decent chance of them being used again. But the best way to be sure is to test them individually. At the very least, can you capacity test each parallel group one at a time?

If they were between 3.3 and 3.9v for those two years or more, I'd say there's a decent chance of them being used again. But the best way to be sure is to test them individually. At the very least, can you capacity test each parallel group one at a time?
Thank you, that's helpful. I'll do that.

Can 18650 cells be revived after being left discharged for two years or more? My battery is 10S5P and has one parallel section completely dead, the rest measure around 3.5 volts. I'm planning to replace just the dead section but would like to be fairly sure the rest of the cells will charge up and function again after so long.
3.5v is fine, but anything that's actually dead does have to be replaced to be safe.

Keep in mind that cells age just sitting there, losing capability and capacity, so as harrisonpatm suggests, a test on each group will at least tell you what they are capable of now, so you can see if they're still good enough to do the job you need this pack to do for you. (if they're not, then you can just replace all the cells, or buy a whole new pack (which will be cheaper and easier, since you won't have to buy testing and repair tools and materials).

Oh, I'd also test the BMS to make sure it's not the reason the cells died. If it's a passive balancing BMS with a row of resistors that drain the cells to balance them, it's possible that the balancer for that channel is stuck on. If it is, it will then drain the new cells in that group dead over time.

"Easy" test is use a good cell (from whatever source, a new one, or out of some other thing like a tool pack or laptop pack or vape cell, etc) to replace the dead group just for this test. Just measure the voltage of the cell before install, then monitor it over a few hours or days, and if it drops over time, the balancer it stuck on and draining it, so you would also need a new BMS.

Another possible test: with the balance wire disconnected from the dead group, use your multimeter set to the 200ohm or 2kohm range, or continuity / diode test, connect the red + lead to the balance wire, and the black - / ground lead to the side of that channel's balance resistor that is closest to the balance connector. If there is an open circuit (by whatever means your multimeter uses to show this, usually OL or a blank display), then swap the leads and see if it still shows open. If it does, the balancer is probably not stuck on. If it shows a reading in either direction, the balancer is probably stuck on, especially if the reading is very low and about the same in both directions.

Example below of such balancers; you're actually testing the little transistors (Q1-Q12 in this image) to see if they're shorted from collector to emitter.

If you have a good cell that's charged up to at least say, half full, and it's connected to that dead-group's channel, a stuck on balancer will have a voltage across it's resistor (but won't if there's no charged cell attached, and a balancer that's actually off will not have a voltage across the resistor either).

1713904497380.png

Back