RIP. Greenville, Berry Creek, Big Creek, Paradise California

This isn't about Trump. :|

As someone who grew up in California, it is sad for me to see the effects of poor management of the state out there. If the government doesn't come up with a way to stop the fires early before they get out of control, a sizeable portion of the state's ecosystem could collapse.

Both the BLM and the west coast governments need to come up with better ideas instead of redirecting blame.

I am personally tired of getting choked out by California's fires despite moving 1000 miles away from it. It's worse than the smog my state produces.

We have had it down here also..lives and property lost big time .!
But this is just nature doing its thing, balancing the books of fuel vs fire risk.
Sometimes we humans have caused the fuel build up ( snuffing out smaller fires, & “protecting” parklands ) . ...sometimes Nature just lets things go too long.
But there always have been fires, and there will always be more in the future....unless you can figure out a way to stop trees , grass, and shrubs etc growing ?
We live with Nature ..and she sets the rules ..Fire, flood, drought, earthquake, Tornado’s etc etc.

We have pretty good drone technology and satellites hovering every inch of the earth. You'd think it'd be easy to catch a fire quickly with tools like those.

It would greatly reduce the amount of resources we spend fighting fires when they're big, to squash them when they are small.

Nature does need to clear things out every once and a while, so we do have to let some burns happen.

Spotting fires is possible in many ways.... its the stopping them that is the problem.
Fires that start in remote locations, rough, steep, inaccessible terrain, etc..are impossible to reach and extinguish completely.
Even some easily accessible fires can be uncontrollable, if the ground fuel load is high, no matter what resources are available.
Anyone who has been within a 100m of a full blown major forrest fire will tell you you are at the mercy of the wind and weather, or an ocean shore, to halt its progress. Fire breaks, rivers , and lakes, are not effective if the wind is strong.

Having people intentionally setting fires around the Dixie fire and adding to it sure isn't helping. One person was caught actually setting one upwind of some firefighters, trying to cut them off...

You can control or even eliminate some of the sources of ignition.. arson, campfires, cigarretts , powerline failures, etc etc
..But you can never control ALL of them such as lightening which is one of the most frequent forrest fire starter.
Add to that the other essentials for a fire to burn,..
..oxygen (air) impossible to eliminate..
... and fuel (eg, dry timber) which is also difficult to eliminate....BUT is the only factor we humans can have any impact on to control the extent of a fire.
IE, management of forrest floor fuel loads is the only tool we have to prevent these fires getting out of control .
Otherwise, the safest solution is to simply no live in an area where a fire could trap and destroy you.

Voltron said:
Having people intentionally setting fires around the Dixie fire and adding to it sure isn't helping. One person was caught actually setting one upwind of some firefighters, trying to cut them off...

Yeah i read that. I hope those guys are facing life sentences. That's a sick thing to do.

....I hope those guys are facing life sentences.
Interesting to see what does happen to them.
Similar events down here tended to fizzel with a few fines, community service sentences, warnings, etc and generally forgotten by the MSM since it didnt support their main story which was always.... “global warming”,.”.global warming” !

Well i would agree that global warming is a factor but then there's also:

1) Assholes
2) Idiots
3) Large swaths of mostly unsupervised land which may or may not contain items #1 and #2
4) The increasing extraction of any potential source of useable water, which gradually dries a place out by interrupting the cycle of water.

But so far, assholes are the #1 cause of how these fires got started, with idiots coming in at a close second. many decades of statistics support this assertion. The news would rather talk about fear and blame than solutions for the future to prevent this though..

Weed, California, USA burned down today, conflagration?, after a lumber mill fire.
My first impression is it's not a forest or brush fire, rather from building to building as in more populated areas.
What could stop that? Maybe a homeowners generator powered house fire suppression system with well fed sprinklers?
Or nothing?

Back