Sabvoton 72150 charging issue (Hall Fault)

Audisport09

100 W
Hello, I was wondering if someone could help me. It took me a while to figure out what was causing my random hall issues. I thought I might have faulty motor.

When I charge my Lipo battery whilst it’s connected to the controller the controller tends to go into hall, not every time, but most of the time. The hall fault is guaranteed if I turn it on and touch the throttle whilst it’s plugged into the charger. If I reset ignition, the throttle works for like a split second and then goes straight back in to hall fault. It takes several hours with the battery disconnected to get the bike to work again.

Anyone know what could be going on? Bad controller? Anyone with a sabvoton ever run it with charger plugged in? Is it harmful to do so?

I obviously stopped charging the battery whilst they are connected to the bike and went almost 2000 miles hall fault free until recently when I forgot to disconnect the battery out. Sure enough 13 flashes hall fault.

Battery: 18s
Charger: Meanwell HGL-600H-24A

As long as your charger's output voltage doesn't exceed the controller's programmed max voltage (HVC), it should not cause any problems. Even if it did exceed it, it should just prevent the controller from operating.

If the voltage going above a certain point causes other errors, then there is something wrong with the way the controller does it's error checking, and which error it reports for which problem.

If the voltage going above a certain point (but still within the operating limits of the controller) actually causes the controller to fail to operate correctly (hardware issue), then the controller is either defective or badly designed.

If the problem happens regardless of what voltage the charging is at, but simply happens anytime a charger is connected while the controller is also connected, then the charger may be producing such extreme RF or other electrical noise on it's output that the battery cells and controller capacitors don't absorb it all, and the controller is then affected by that noise--but that kind of problem usually results in *random* types of errors, and not the same one every time, so it is probably not what is happening to you. To see this kind of noise you usually need an oscilloscope.

As a side note, if you mean a "Meanwell HLG-600H-24A" (not HGL), then that's a "24v" PSU, so you must be using more than one of them in series (probably three?) to charge an 18s pack (though your posts implies there's only one).

I use one HLG-600H-54A built into the SB Cruiser trike, set to 57.7v and 12A (max on both) permanently connected to the pack and controllers (two, one for each rear wheel) on the controller side of the CAv3 shunt, and have never had it cause any issues with any of the various controllers I've had to use on the trike over the years, though I have never had a Sabvoton (thankfully, given the numerous problems reported on the various vendors' versions of them over the years ;) ).

Thank you for the response amberwolf. I think the controller is on it's way out for sure.

Back