Scorpion 'Interceptor' RC Build

H3D

1 mW
Hi Folks,

I thought some of you might be interested in pictures of my RC-middrive build for the HP Velo Scorpion FS recumbent trike.

My wife said three things when I told her I wanted to put electric motors on our trikes (obtained as stable comfy more old-age-appropriate ride-replacements for our mountain bikes):
1. Don’t you dare trash my trike.
2. Make is not scary (for a non-tech person).
3. Make it pretty.
My own goals were 1) to easily make the run from town up to my house (~3000 vertical feet in 4.5 miles), 2) run efficiently at both low and high speed.

I tested a BMC hub-motor but didn’t like the narrow power band, nor the gear knashing noises, and was kinda turned off with the required rear-fork mods, the disc brake misfit, and having to bend the fork to get in a 9-speed cassette. Encouraged by this forum, I chose RC mid-drive with a belt reducer, since, in part, I always loved the look of the MadMax movie's Interceptor, which had it’s way-cool big timing-belt turbo spinning up at the flick of a switch. A belt-reduction unit would be user field-serviceable, and that seemed a big plus. The main problem with the HP Scorpion is that because of the full suspension and complicated driveline, there is little usable space behind the seat to locate a reduction unit, as has been nicely done on a number of other trikes that have squarish, spacious, and/or extendable frames. Fortunately Matt S (recumpence) offered to build me a couple of flexible and beautifully-made 2-stage reduction units that I could modify to fit under the front boom. The key idea was simply to rotate the boom extension 180 degrees to put the symmetric (i.e. works the same CW or CCW) Schlumpf high-speed pedal-drive on the left side. This allowed for installation of a double freewheel and a jackshaft over to the main chain-line on the right. Here are some pictures of the build.
Fig 1 Front View.jpg
Fig 2 Rear View.jpg
The main modification to the two stage davinci drive was to replace the 2nd stage bearing tube with a new one, holding a keyed 5/8 shaft (vs. unkeyed ½”). This allowed two ENO freewheels (linking to the 8mm drive pulley and the pedal chain) to be squeezed side by side in the small area between the left pedal and the boom.
Fig 3 DesignSketch.jpg
Black parts by Matt, silver parts and chain rollers are my mods. Total weight with Astro 3215 motor = 11 pounds. My mods (heavy ENO freewheels, bigger shafting & bearings etc.) added ~3 pounds.
Fig 4 Modified Recumpence 2 Stage Drive.jpg
Fig 5 TopView Shroud Off.jpg
My wife and I are short, so everything is tight. But it all runs smooth with no scrapes or bindups, in the first few hundred miles anyway. The motor unit is held by two super-neat recumpence boom clamps, and by extending three large existing frame bolts into custom attachments I put on the reducer body. Nice thing about the Schlumpf high speed drive is that with motor at full speed, you can still pedal-assist at a reasonable turnover rate (about 90rpm).
View attachment 5
The pulleys are 20-80 (for the 5mm pitch x 1”wide 1’rst stage), 14-50 (8mm pitch x 7/8”wide 2nd stage), and 16T driving a 9 speed cassette (11T – 34T) in the back.
Fig 7 First Stage 5mm GT2 and Chainline redirectors.jpg
Fig 8 Shrouds (tight fit).jpg
After foolishly showing my wife some videos of LiPo’s burning, I calmed her down a bit by installing quick release battery mounts. Though under the seat (well, there seemed no better place, while keeping the cable runs very short), a quarter turn of two huge wingnuts and a light pull gets the thing off. I sure would hate to torch these trikes (see my wife’s point #1).
Fig 9 Quick-release battery clips.jpg
Fig 10 12S 16Ah Lipos.jpg
Fig 11 Battery with DB25 charger-monitor port.jpg
Some specs: Fullup weight (with one 13 pound 12S, 16Ah battery) about 73 pounds. Min ground clearance: 4.5”. Top speed with AstroFlight3215 – 40mph, Astro3220 – 45mph. I’m sure a different gearing would get you over 50, but holy crap, even 40 seems pretty scary to me! It takes about 7Ah to go the 9 miles home from downtown (4.5miles on the flats and then 4.5 miles up about 3000 feet). And the Astroflight3215 + tooth noise makes a kind of beautiful spin-up whine as the power kicks in.

Great fun, and only possible after reading so much valuable information here! Thanks to all for a great forum.

John
Boulder, CO

PS – If anyone is into 3D, there are some stereo pictures of the trikes at http://hart3d.com/projects/Projects.htm

Very nice work! That's the drive system to add to a velomobile... That would be intense. I bet you get very good WH/km if you only sue it on flats or uphills!

Man I envy your attention to detail. Fantastic builds! The battery boxes are amazingly neat.

HP Velotechnik makes some seriously nice bikes. I bought a Grass hopper 2-wheel recumbent, under seat steering, a few years back. Riding that thing makes me feel like I'm flying, the way it squats into turns...

atom1025 said:
Fantastic builds! The battery boxes are amazingly neat.

Thank you! I can add a little more info.

I built the four 12S2p trike batteries shown, and two smaller (12S, 8ah) units for the two mountain bikes described in

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=41875

out of 25C Turnigy nanotech 6S 8Ah hobbyking units. I cycled each of 21 packs 4 times on a 1420iNet3 balance charger. Maybe I was lucky because only one had a real weak cell, and one was a little rounded (by ~ 0.1 inch). The latter one, surprise surprise, had about the best charge/discharge characteristics. Go figure. So I used it in a two-pack batt. I pull the batteries off the bikes to balance (always) charge them at 9A, using a pair of 1420i's fitted with DB25 cables, and a meanwell 1000W 24V PS running off the mains or a honda 2kw generator when out in the field. I know that's seriously not eco, but we like to ride out in the sticks.

So far the batteries seem to have pretty much as-advertised capacity (e.g. a "50%" discarge/charge, according to the 1420i, takes out and puts in about 7.5 ah).
BattCharger.jpg

I store them (for more than a couple days) at ~40% charge and 40F out in a $99 Homedepot refrigerator stuck in a distant toolshed.

I'm new to this, so if I'm doing anything wrong, please chip in.

Nice job!

Now would you guys please stop raising the bar? Yer making me look bad. :)

They look really good!

This is funny timing....... In the last week I have had two people inquire about a two stage reduction. :D

I am so excited that they are working well for you.

Matt

recumpence said:
This is funny timing....... In the last week I have had two people inquire about a two stage reduction. :D
Matt

Probably coincidence, but I'm amazed at how many people come around to look wherever we park these things. They like the trikes, but almost universally, when they see the drives (expecially with the covers off), it's "OMG can you make me one". I've dropped your name more than a few times. Hope you don't mind, you do make great stuff!

John

Dear John,

This is the best chain drive into a HP-Velotechnik Scorpion I`ve ever seen. I`m from the home (Germany, I`m from Bavaria!, sorry for my bad english) of HP-Velotechnik and certainly I have serveral Scorpions FS in my garage. Every year a new color, first a grey one and this year a orange frame. And when my grey one is sold I can buy a blue one like your. Many thanks for the good pics. Yesterday I saw MadMAx-2 and yes the belt turbo was great stuff. My first Trike was the great Germany Pirol, but this is a another story. You are right with this style of trikes it is not so easy to convert to electric, but it is possible. A chain contertible, like cyclone, is for me not possible, because the add. noise is a no go.
And I`m in Germany the land of envious persons.
My top goal was a top secret conversion.
Here in germany many biker use big saddle packs and the great Rohloff-gearbox and my thinking was to find a hubmotor with only a little more diameter then the big Rohloff-gearbox.
I test like you the BMC and looklike Hubmotors and all fail because the noise. I lost 1 year because I test all the different setups like different gears, controller, rpm, current, voltage, rims and tyres.
After a test ride with a bionx I change my thinking of bad free wheeling for DD-motors and I go further to NC-28xx and looklike motors.
The weight is high but the noise is like I prefer. So I bought serveral types and windings and test also 1 year different setups. Now I`m in paradise.

Can I enter your thread and offer some different setups for our great Scorpion FS Trike?
I use this Trike also for +500 to 1000m, (5 - 10km distance), altitude difference
(because this is a non hub motor thread)

Best regards

ecross

Attachments

• S8000069.JPG
    S8000069.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 3,423
  • S8000070.JPG
    S8000070.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 3,423
  • S8000071.JPG
    S8000071.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 3,423
  • S8000072.JPG
    S8000072.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 3,423
ecross said:
My top goal was a top secret conversion....
I use this Trike also for +500 to 1000m, (5 - 10km distance), altitude difference
Best regards
ecross

Hi ecross,

I like your rig too. Nice saddle packs, I had to look for the motor. May I ask why 'top secret' is a goal? Are there rules over there against e-trikes or something?

Also, do you have regen? It's one thing I miss, with all the 1000m hills right around our house. I use the disc in the rear often for drag braking when speeding down, but it would have been better to put the downslopes to use.

John

H3D said:
ecross said:
My top goal was a top secret conversion....
Best regards
ecross

Hi ecross,

I like your rig too. Nice saddle packs, I had to look for the motor. May I ask why 'top secret' is a goal? Are there rules over there against e-trikes or something?

Also, do you have regen? It's one thing I miss, with all the 1000m hills right around our house. I use the disc in the rear often for drag braking when speeding down, but it would have been better to put the downslopes to use.

John

Dear John,

thanks for your fast return. Certainly we have pedelec rules for example we must have a max. 250Watt system, a pedelec sensor. So 99% of all the great DIY bikes are here illegal, but I can drive 250kmh with my small GTI. Anyway, I think it is better here a top secret bike to drive. For the cops I have installed a pedelec sensor and a 3 step switch for only 25kmh (pedelec rule). The switch in on a secret place. And this was a good thinking, because 2 days after this mod. two friendly cops stop me and ask this and that about the Trike. The younger cop ask me to drive this trike and he was positiv surprised. And with legal 25kmh speed he enjoyed the short test drive. This was a good end for my first cop control.
Regen is since my last holiday at Giglio/Italy a very big item. The topographic base is very interesting because little island, only 3 streets, one
cross-way. And from 0 meter to 450m altitude diference, about 5km, in every direction. (I have one gopro video bevor the gopro damaged!)
(you have 1000HM and about 7km, or?) I ordered a Lyen controller with strong Regen and installed a brake for back with switch for the Regen funktion.
All secret, but you can see it on the pics. After some driving style change I can use this great function for around 95% downhill braking. But you need around 8 - 15% for long, long for good regen function. But here it is perfect, you have 5km downhill on one step. My Regen % rise from drive to drive because you need a very good forward-looking for extrem high Regen %. The first Regen was about +10%, then +20% and my record regen was 31-33% this is completly unbelievable but true. For example, normal Regen in flats is around 3 - 6% with my driving style.

And Regen driving is so cool, you need only to steering and with the right timing to brake, the regen function is without noise and strong or soft, this depends from SW and Motor setup. You told me you have 1000m hills around your home, this is absolutly great for Regen.
I think this is a test worth. Buy a KMX-Typhoon or a third HP-FS, use a 2806 or 2805 with a Lyen-Controller and use 24S LiIons (Sony, Sanyo or Samsung) for good Regen. It is a pity that we are so far away, but you are welcome to a test ride, you can visit the germany Oktoberfest (only 60km!) and drive some fast Trikes.

Today I drive about 60km to my hills, I have found a great lokation:

http://www.berggasthof-kenzenhuette.de/

The start is around 800m and the lodge is around 1300m, distance around 5km. I`m in paradise here.

Could you post some pics from your paradise?

ecross said:
Could you post some pics from your paradise?

Thanks much for the regen info. I'm kinda burned out on builds (2 trikes and 2 mtn bikes in the last 6 months - too many many hours), but if there is a next time I'll seriously consider such. Might make it over to Slovenia next summer, be fun to see some trikes in Germany on the way back. The added stability of a trike after a session at Oktoberfest would be much appreciated I think!! My favorite rides around here so far are MaroonBells/Aspen and IndianPeaks up from my house and back. A few pix of these places are at

http://hart3d.com/mountains/

Click mono if you don't like 3D.

John

I will add to the chorus of congratulations about such a nice build. It is great to see such a nice product and hear that it met your expectations.

One issue that has come up with several RC builds has been some degree of unhappiness with the nature and amount of sound produced by the drives. It would seem that your use of a 2 stage reduction, both with belt drives was a key to producing a quiet drive. Presumably both reduction stages are quiet because of using belts. Because you are using two reduction stages while many users are now trying to use a single stage, the velocity of the final chain drive is no different than normal for a bike. In any case, congratulations again on a very nice ebike build.

Rich

Back