Sensorless Geared Hub motor spin, but not the wheel

maresia

1 µW
Hello, English is not my first language, and I have a sensorless geared hub motor that is spinning inside the wheel, but the wheel itself isn't turning. I searched for solutions on the internet, and the two main actions I observed were "investigating the planetary gear" and "swapping the motor phases as it might be spinning in reverse." I tried all 6 combinations, using the learning wires to reverse the motor direction, but it didn't work.

I replaced the 3 gears that were a bit old, but it didn't help. When I turn the wheel, the magnets rotate in the opposite direction, indicating there's contact between the gears. However, when I spin the magnets with my fingertips, I don't feel the resistance that would normally make the wheel turn in the opposite direction.

When the motor is spinning backwards, the wheel spins perfectly, but in the opposite direction of what I want.

The videos are available in the links below:
hub motor 5

If you hold the motor core (rotor bell) in one hand, and attempt to turn the clutch that the planetary gears are mounted on with your other hand, first one direction, then the other, does one direction let you do this easily, and the other force your hand on the rotor bell to spin too?

If not, the clutch has failed, either it's cracked or the rollers have worn or the springs failed, etc.

If it does, then the clutch is probably ok, and the system should operate correctly.

If you repalced the gears *and* the clutch at the same time, it's possible your new clutch operates backwards of your old one, like in this thread:

If it didn't work before replacing the clutch/gears at all, (slipped both ways) the original clutch failed, and if it now works backwards after replacing the clutch/gears (slips just one way) the new clutch is good but built backwards from your original.

If you hold the motor core (rotor bell) in one hand, and attempt to turn the clutch that the planetary gears are mounted on with your other hand, first one direction, then the other, does one direction let you do this easily, and the other force your hand on the rotor bell to spin too?

If not, the clutch has failed, either it's cracked or the rollers have worn or the springs failed, etc.

If it does, then the clutch is probably ok, and the system should operate correctly.

If you repalced the gears *and* the clutch at the same time, it's possible your new clutch operates backwards of your old one, like in this thread:

If it didn't work before replacing the clutch/gears at all, (slipped both ways) the original clutch failed, and if it now works backwards after replacing the clutch/gears (slips just one way) the new clutch is good but built backwards from your original.

But what should be the normal behavior of the wheel in relation to the clutch? In a video, I turn the wheel in both directions. When I turn it backwards (in relation to a bike moving backward), the wheel spins freely. When I turn it forward, there's motor resistance. Is this correct?

That sounds reversed.

The clutch is intended to let the wheel spin freely if you are pedalling without the motor, but still let the motor drive the wheel forward when desired.

All that is in the clutch is usually three 5-10mm diameter cylinders that fit in three recesses of the main clutch disc, and are pressed outward by springs up the ramps of those recesses onto the spinning surface of the part of the clutch that connects to the gears.

Typical very basic operation (details differ from system to system):

If the wheel is spinning faster than the motor/gearing, then the clutch is relaxed and the rollers are just sliding along the surface, so the planetary gear mounting disc spins freely, and no rotation is transferred from the wheel back into the motor.

If the motor is spinning faster than the wheel, the rollers run up the ramp and are held by friction against the surface, "locking" the clutch and forcing the planetary gear mounting disc to stay in one place, so the rotation of the motor is transferred via these gears to the ring gear on the motor case and spins the wheel.

Oh, I see... someone changed the clutch for an inverted one. He probably replaced the entire motor. I'll have to invert the pedal gear so I don't have to buy another clutch. Thanks a lot for the help.

Not sure what you mean by "invert the pedal gear"?

You can flip the wheel so the pedal chain sprockets are on the left side instead of the right so the motor will drive the wheel forward, but then you can't drive the wheel by pedalling even if you also flip the pedals so the whole chain is on that side.

The sprockets on the wheel also have a freewheel (sort of like the motor clutch) that will just spin and not drive the wheel forward when the pedals pull the chain across it, if it's flipped like that. It would only be able to drive the wheel backwards, by pedalling backwards.

Back