Shorted out hub by short on phase wires while riding?

dnmun said:
yes. the drain leg of the mosfet is attached to the positive lead and the source to the phase wire so if it conducts when there is positive voltage on the drain then the mosfet is shorted. you should test the other three sets too. in that case you put the red lead on the phase wire and the black on the ground, black wire to the controller from the battery.

The black wire from the battery or from the controller? I tested it with red robe on phase wire and black probe on black wire from CONTROLLER and results are 1 throughout :pancake: totally lost.. I did pull apart the controller and all 12 mosfets seems fine (no burn damage or abnormal lumps)

for an n-channel mosfet the body diode is pointed from the source to the drain. so a positive voltage on the drain is not conducted through the body diode normally. if you apply the positive voltage to the source then current is conducted through the body diode to the drain, and there is a voltage drop across the body diode there, called the forward bias.

by measuring the forward bias you can tell that the body diode remains intact and you can compare all the mosfets since the forward bias should be identical on all of them.

the body diode is inherent in the structure of the mosfet because of the way they are manufactured by the doping of the source overlapping the doping of the drain.

so for an n-channel mosfet the drain is always at the higher potential (so the body diode does not conduct) and does not conduct until the channel is turned on by raising the gate voltage and the gate is a conductor, planar in nature, separated from the conducting channel by the gate oxide, and as the potential on the gate is raised then that draws the conducting majority carriers, electrons, into the channel so that current can be conducted through the channel from drain to source. (actually the electrons go the other way). the reason the channel does not conduct when there is no charge on the gate is because there are no available conducting electrons in the channel and whatever ones that accidentally escape are drawn back into the drain by the depletion layer.

anyway that is why you have to use the higher voltage probe, the red probe of the diode tester, and of the ohmmeter too, on the drain to measure to see if the mosfet conducts. so that is why i try to get people to measure the body diode. most just use an ohmmeter.

Alright. Say my mosfet is blown up.. What I have on board are HY1707P mosfets (70V 80A). If I replace all 12 off them with IRF540N mosfets (100V 33A) will I need to look out for anythimg else

seems easier to just replace the ones that blew up. if they have the same forward bias i would assume they will work the same. and you should use a high power mosfets. i doubt if those ebay parts labeled 540 are real IR parts myself.

dnmun said:
seems easier to just replace the ones that blew up. if they have the same forward bias i would assume they will work the same. and you should use a high power mosfets. i doubt if those ebay parts labeled 540 are real IR parts myself.

The mosfets are genuine I think - Got them from a component shop near home: www.altronics.com.au and the model is listed on irf: http://www.irf.com/product-info/datasheets/data/irf540n.pdf
ah well, gonna give it a shot anyway.. i'm getting tired walking =P

Forgot to post this... but yeah.. replacing the mosfets has solved my problem... didn't have to change all but just two... thanks for all your help

Back