Should I add a motor to this MTB bike frame or find another source?

MadRhino said:
Geared hubs just can’t survive my riding style and power requirements.
But it isn't helpful to go to eveyrone's threads simply telling them what *you* need to use, for *your* riding style and power requirements, especially without explanation.

You have to help them figure out what *they* need to use for *their* riding style and power requirements.

Otherwise you're not helping, you're just confusing them if they're new at this stuff and don't understand that what you use may not apply to them, or why.

If you are posting what you use in reference to what they need to do and explain it that way, and exactly why you do it that way, vs what they need to do, then that can be helpful. But just to dismiss things suggested to them that *would* work for their needs, simply because they won't work for yours...is not helpful.

It's like a certain other on here that jumps into various threads to brag about their super-duper unobtainium motors and what they can do, when it is completely and utterly pointless and often irrelevant to the thread's purpose.

banshee28 said:
I know everyone will have their own opinion and experiences and there are very clear pro's and cons to hub vs mid drive.
Hub is generally simpler to install and cheaper, very little to maintain beyond typical wheel stuff (as long as you get it built with the correct spokes for the rim used, and not the common too-thick 12g spokes on a bicycle rim). But it can't "shift gears" for torque vs speed if you have a wide range of loading. Control systems options are more versatile and easier to customize.

Middrive is generally more complicated to install and more expensive, and has several maintenance points, with increased frequency the higher and more often the power levels used are (sprockets, chains, sometimes derailers, and the freewheels on the front pedal chainring if you aren't pedalling along with it hard enough to keep the FW engaged). But it *can* shift gears for torque vs speed when you have a wide range of loading. Control systems options are generally fixed by the manufacturer without a lot of DIY (like ripping out OEM controllers/sensors and replacing with externals) and harder to customize.

amberwolf said:
MadRhino said:
But it isn't helpful to go to eveyrone's threads simply telling them what *you* need to use, for *your* riding style and power requirements, especially without explanation.

You have to help them figure out what *they* need to use for *their* riding style and power requirements.

Otherwise you're not helping, you're just confusing them if they're new at this stuff and don't understand that what you use may not apply to them, or why.

If you are posting what you use in reference to what they need to do and explain it that way, and exactly why you do it that way, vs what they need to do, then that can be helpful. But just to dismiss things suggested to them that *would* work for their needs, simply because they won't work for yours...is not helpful.

It's like a certain other on here that jumps into various threads to brag about their super-duper unobtainium motors and what they can do, when it is completely and utterly pointless and often irrelevant to the thread's purpose.

Please note that I did not recommend the OP to build with any of the components that I use. My usage was only to point about how easy it is to break small motors, geared ones especially.

But you are right. I should not argue with those who recommend others to build with a geared motor. I will let newbs live the experience themselves, and try to give advice only to those seeking performance.

Ah, after thinking it over. I won’t. I have spent enough time here trying to help others building a good bike at first try. DIY is not necessary anymore for low speed bikes anyway, as there are good ones at fair price on the market now. Those getting into DIY for an ebike today, are either looking for a hobby, or just refuse to pay the price.

Riders who are building to make a better ride than what is available on the market are very few now, and the market will fill their needs soon.

MadRhino said:
amberwolf said:
MadRhino said:

Please note that I did not recommend the OP to build with any of the components that I use. My usage was only to point about how easy it is to break small motors, geared ones especially.

But you are right. I should not argue with those who recommend others to build with a geared motor. I will let newbs live the experience themselves, and try to give advice only to those seeking performance.

Ah, after thinking it over. I won’t. I have spent enough time here trying to help others building a good bike at first try. DIY is not necessary anymore for low speed bikes anyway, as there are good ones at fair price on the market now. Those getting into DIY for an ebike today, are either looking for a hobby, or just refuse to pay the price.

Riders who are building to make a better ride than what is available on the market are very few now, and the market will fill their needs soon.
Guys I actually like to hear all opinions so I am good to hear all points!! I am tempted to buy new but yea they are not only expensive but also can be difficult to replace parts if needed! This to me is a very big deal! If I do a DIY, it would be rather easy to get replacement parts plus I will know how everything goes together!
As long as this frame is a good choice and based on ALL the comments I think either motor option would work with the right DIY setup, then I am good with DIY still....

I literally broke off a XT90 connection charging at a 7-eleven convenience store. I grabbed my knive to peel off more insulation and purchased some electrical tape, I wrapped the wire around the XT90 solder cup and taped it half assidly thinking I might have to retape it. I rode home about 10 miles going casual speed, which would be 20-30A and didnt have to do nuffin. I did the occasional curb so it wasnt all that bumpy. I tell ya the soldering job I did wasnt all that great neither so the ole saying DIY cant solder bs well ya if your dyslexic sure. In the beginning I probably went through a half dozen XT90's because I gave it too much heat. I dont use connections for the phase wires but give it enough slack to be able to bring wheel out and to the side. I also rarely use connections for the throttle. I use a sensorless controller which means no hall sensors, and using the learn function on the controller. Surely beats an expensive proprietary system ebike thats marked up into the $2-3k+ region. Its funny cuz I saw 2 parents with Bosch ebikes yet their 6 yr old son didnt have no ebike. See lots of those expensive ebikes out there, which is good but I dont like to waste money but tend to anyways but its worth learning. Money bags, sure $4k on a Trek Bosch setup why not, but then I wouldnt ride it because I'd have that BMW with loud muffler, windows down and music cranked in an air conditioned beamer.

[/quote]
Guys I actually like to hear all opinions so I am good to hear all points!! I am tempted to buy new but yea they are not only expensive but also can be difficult to replace parts if needed! This to me is a very big deal! If I do a DIY, it would be rather easy to get replacement parts plus I will know how everything goes together!
As long as this frame is a good choice and based on ALL the comments I think either motor option would work with the right DIY setup, then I am good with DIY still....
[/quote]

You might already know this, but one thing you might want to verify regarding a BBSHD conversion is the type of bottom bracket you have. Cannondale uses a lot of BB30 bottom brackets on their bikes and those aren't compatible with BBSXX motors. (Don't know what the Trail 4 has). BB30s can be converted fairly easily to allow for an installation, but it's a consideration - search "BBSHD bottom bracket" or something to that effect ...

Back