Start a new build or keep upgrading the old?

MarkJohnston

10 kW
I have this bike. The exact one I bought two years ago. They haven't even changed it

Save Up to 60% Off Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Front Suspension Mountain Bikes

I've customized it a bit. I want a new fork to raise the handlebars So i sit more upright.(Would leaving the fork uncut do this for me? Sheldon brown i think said it would.) Should I not be wasting my money though on a fork for this frame? I think it uses an older headset technology.

I am thinking this frame could fail any day, specifically around the drop outs. I have punished this bike for two years straight and put over 10k miles on it. I have ridden full throttle for 50 miles every day carrying 40 lbs of batteries. Those rack eyelets must be getting stresses. The aluminum around the eyelets.... Microstress fractures? ?? GEt a steel bike?

Should I just start a new build? I am worried about alumnium fatique. I don't see any cracks, but that doesn't mean there could micro stress fractures.

I don't want to invest more into this build and not be able to cannibalize the parts off it. I see a rock shox new for $220 + shipping maybe. That's not bad. I would want that fork to cross over. I should get a new front wheel too. Lots of stuff could get upgraded. Worth it?

I am technically a trek employee so I may be able to get 50 % a new frame...

I think something like the Trek Marlin with disc brakes would be a big improvement. Not just big, huge. Also if you have not experienced an air fork (a real brand-name one, not a $120 off-brand one), you'll be absolutely hooked. You can get a pretty decent one for under $400 now. But I would not even bother if the bike has rim brakes, just get a new bike. You ride a lot, you deserve it!

For the ride height, you can do several different things besides buying a new fork. Like putting a 2.6 or 2.8 tire in front; that will raise the height of the front end around 0.4 inches. It really depends on how they cut the fork, but it sounds like your fit simply is not good on the Motobecane. I've had bikes like that before and you can tweak this and that to make it a bit less annoying, but you can never get it quite right...it has to be a different frame. I would consider going one frame size up. You'll also probably find that a $900 bike like a Marlin is going to feel a million times better than a $300 bike. Especially with the air fork.

Rich...

If it ain't steal it ain't real...

I will not buy an aluminum frame. I want a reinforced steel frame designed FOR ebikes. Especially high powered ones. I want a 4kW bike next

Also... a large frame is less nimble and twitchy. I like being able to turn on dimes.

And... Can't tell you how many times I have hit my crotch on the top tube on a large frame. bEen there done that... I just need the handlebars higher, thank you.

Last edited:
I got some measurements off this one bike I really like to ride. It's a new bike I got. The handlebars are just about an inch higher but I beleive this is what makes it so much more comfortable to ride for long periods of time. IT has a weird stem and riser system on it. I think I read about it on sheldon brown. Maybe one of the e - wizards can tell more about it?

IT's comfy ASF. I like it. I like sitting nearly bolt upright, nearly at 90 degrees. IT's even easier to really torque on the pedals from a stand still to get that acceleration. I am like a hawk on this thing.

Attachments

• IMG_20230812_181939.jpg
    IMG_20230812_181939.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 1
You know, maybe I'll just get that new fork and pop it in. it's only $160. Buy new 200 MM rotor and an adapter, and some new pads. Sounds good to me. Buying a new frame is too complicated, getting the sizing right, etc. I'll just ride this one till the drop outs snap.

Trek 820 is best. Its trek custom steel. Steel is real and he bike is only $250 for VIPs that's me :D.

Just need to wait for sizes to come in

Don't worry, I'm looking hard at an air fork to combine with it.

Back